• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6171 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 29 December 2015 - 04:55 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 29 December 2015 - 10:20 AM, said:

But still!

I spend all the time I have trying to get BACK to allied, so I can push towards the navy rep... but then I have to log and go do other things, and when I come back, ALL progress I made is gone because I couldn't play the game.

Its getting tiresome to even bother with it.
I honestly hate when games do that. That and grinding. Why I generally don't play MMOs, Destiny being the one big exception until recently when Bungie increased the grind from small and negligible to through the roof. And hey, look at that, I stopped playing shortly after they did that too. Looks like I'm not the only with that opinion since from what I hear the game's been shedding players at a pretty huge clip lately as well.

Kind of also bothered me with State of Decay. There's a system where the clock keeps running as you're offline, and your survivors keep using resources. It was interesting at first, but after a while when I felt like playing something else for a bit, I had to rush and complete the story because my survivors would blow through all their resources while I was logged off and we'd be frakked when I got back on. It's also what's prevented me from playing again even though I loved that game, because I don't want to commit to a whole playthrough.

Then again, they've made quite a few changes and improvements since I last played, so that may not be the case anymore... I should check on that game.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 8086K / 32GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN Xp 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#142 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4278 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:54 PM

They futzed with State of Decay? oh joy... so when I start that up to 'finish' what I left hanging... its all gonna be different and almost likely start all over. JOY! ... it wasnt Early Access as I recall, so W T F.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#143 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6171 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:01 PM

No changes that'll likely cause a problem for you (other than that resources thing, which may not be as bad as it was back when I played). For one, you can tote resources around in vehicles now, which is a HUGE convenience. Seems like an obvious feature, but when I played you couldn't do that.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 8086K / 32GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN Xp 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#144 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4278 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:27 PM

I guess I've gotten too used to ED's slower movements, as I was trying out SC's flight training, and i was blacking out everywhere. Of course it doesnt help you fly like a bat out of hell by just pushing a strafe key. Guess I need a real HOTAS setup for that.

But even then, I think something was jacked.

1) My aiming reticle would end up in odd places all over the hud, sometimes causing my guns to fire way off center. Very annoying to sort out, and I wasn't even using the mouse.

2) Touching the mouse causes my head to move and get stuck in that direction if I let go of the mouse. I find this annoying, as I want some sort of head-snap-back to happen. I tried setting up the mouse-right-hold to head look, and letting go of it should snap-back. But that didnt work. It ignored that, and pointed my head down into my crotch zoomed in instead when I held right-mouse.

3) Throttle was unpredictable at best. Sometimes i couldnt move for shizzle. I was mashing every sideways upways backways forward and throttle keys I had and would like ... go 5 (whatever 5 means, it clearly wasn't 50 or more).

4) Stop popping up these stupid dialogs on black screens jerking me out of what I was doing! I know this was the tutorial flight-training, but holy crap that was done terribly. And then it would repeat those if you didn't do them quick enough or were trying to figure out why mashing a key wasnt working.

5) The controls key-rebind UI is buggy as popsnizzle. Half the time it wouldnt respond to my scroll wheel to go up and down, and then trying to flip back and forth through keyboard, mouse, joystick settings for ONE action, was a bloody nightmare. On top of that it would not warn you in the slightest that "oh hey, yeah that key actually is doing something else that is gonna cause a serious mess if you keep it bound that way". Coupled with how terrible the UI is, trying to find key conflicts across all those multiple panels and flip opens was... well... I gave up.

At this point, I was like, ok, I'll let this game to rest for a year yet before I revisit.

ED has its blandness, but it is working for now without a lot of unpredictable behaviors. And I know SC is still 'alpha grade', so its why I'm not entirely writing off SC.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#145 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1793 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:35 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 01 February 2016 - 01:27 PM, said:

I guess I've gotten too used to ED's slower movements...

I suddenly had a flashback to Bob Dole doing a commercial about this. I'm sorry but I really did and I couldn't help laughing.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#146 RGoulder

RGoulder

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 07:16 AM

Elite Dangerous for Mac will be shut down later this year, official announcement from the forums:

Hello Commanders,

It is with great sadness that we must announce the upcoming end of Elite Dangerous on Mac.

Firstly, we want to reassure you that this decision did not come lightly and is something that we have been investigating for some time. As many of you will know, despite our best efforts, we have been unable to bring Elite Dangerous Horizons to Mac since launch due to technical barriers. With the planned improvements coming in our Chapter Four update of the Beyond season we have felt it necessary to make this difficult decision in order to allow us to bring in content and features in the way that we felt was best for the overall Elite Dangerous experience. It is for this reason that we wanted to give you as much notice as possible. With the release of the Q4 update, coming towards the end of the year, you will no longer be able to play Elite Dangerous on Mac. As soon as we have a date of the update to share, we will do so here.

At the point of the Q4 update, you will no longer be able to access Elite Dangerous products through the Mac OS. However, you will still be able to log into your account on PC (or via Bootcamp.)

We hope you will understand why we have taken this course of action and would encourage those of you who have questions or concerns, to please contact our Support Team HERE who are on hand and ready to help!

Thanks again,

Ed and the Elite Dangerous team

#147 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 11:35 AM

Well that sucks.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#148 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2133 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 27 April 2018 - 11:52 AM

Ya it sucks I gave those honkey's money for a game they stopped functionally supporting 3 days later. Was really disappointed with the half hearted Macintosh support from the get go but I stupidly gave them money thinking they would have a real go at it. Runs great on Xbox at least but I have been very disappointed with Frontier's handling of this over the last couple of years.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#149 RGoulder

RGoulder

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:02 PM

I purchased Elite Dangerous just before it came out, got the beta access and the lifetime pass, a lot of good that does me now. I played the heck out of it. I got my Imperial Clipper, and then my Imperial Cutter and getting to Elite status as a merchant in the process, before finding that hundreds of hours in there wasn't all that much more to do. When Mac users never got any of the additional horizon content even though much of it had nothing to do with planetary landings, I put the game aside and waited. I had hoped that Frontier would find a compromise, a way for Mac users to get some of the new content like fighters for my Cutter but apparently that was too hard?

I had kind of expected this announcement for a while now, either they were going to find a way for Horizon content to come to the Mac or we were going to get the boot. It was unsustainable that in the same game space you could play on your Mac and encounter PC users that have ships you can't buy, game changing upgrades you can't install, and other content you are unable to participate in. Given the complete radio silence from Frontier about the Mac version it seemed rather unlikely that all that silence was a good thing. But yeah even having a sneaking suspicion that the other shoe was going to drop this announcement sure does sting.

#150 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1471 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:40 PM

I'm sure they were looking for any reason to stop supporting macOS without wanting to word it as incompetence. I know it'd be a golden day if developers could build a polished macOS title simply by clicking a radio button adjacent to the word 'macOS' and clicking 'build,' but the lack of wanting to invest in macOS to build polished apps later, IMO, is driving this as opposed to Blizzard deciding to not publish Overwatch for macOS because, yes, nearly no hardware shipping from Apple (especially at publication time) could run it smoothly without resorting to Bootcamp and most people aren't going to buy one for gaming. I can't blame them when I feel Apple hasn't and doesn't care enough about macOS either.
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#151 Spike

Spike

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:41 PM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 02 May 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

I can't blame them when I feel Apple hasn't and doesn't care enough about macOS either.

Quoted for emphases.

#152 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2133 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:58 PM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 02 May 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

I'm sure they were looking for any reason to stop supporting macOS without wanting to word it as incompetence.

I'd hardly call what they churned out starting to support macOS. They cranked out a POC and never supported it. It should have been a free beta at best.

Spoiler: Overwatch sucks, blizzard did us Mac folk a favor by not tainting our platform with that turd.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#153 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8253 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:47 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 02 May 2018 - 09:58 PM, said:

I'd hardly call what they churned out starting to support macOS. They cranked out a POC and never supported it. It should have been a free beta at best.
Hm, I couldn't really complain about the Mac version and support, at least early on: aside of the half-baked C# fudged launcher, the game always ran stable and astonishingly well, and crucial Mac specific bugs were quickly fixed. But then again, I have barely touched the game and especially the Mac version in the last two years, so I'm not necessarily up to date with the state of the client.

But yes, that move was to be expected. Sooner or later, it no longer would have made sense for Frontier to support the very limited base version of the game – on both Mac and Windows. At the latest, they would have rolled the Horizons content into the base game when the next large expansion (or season or chapter or whatever they would choose to call it then) came out, which then would have spelled doom for the Mac version, unless there would have been a miracle.

This now came a bit earlier than I thought, but I still wasn't surprised. I mainly blame Apple for this however, and don't buy into the idiotic conspiracy theories floated on the Elite forums by some, that FDev just wanted to get the stupid Mac users' money and never had the intention to maintain Mac support for a prolonged time.

However, I'm fairly apathetic about this. As mentioned, I lost pretty much all interest in the game, despite my initial enthusiasm, and barely touched the game in the last two years, since I feel the game never developed past a jumbled heap of half-baked ideas.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Elite: Dangerous, Frontier, Elite, The King is Back