FPS

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Rodanne

Rodanne

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:52 PM

Honestly I despair,  there just doesn't seem to be much left  or upcoming in the area of FPS on macOS.  
Because I do a lot of mac forum stuff I like to keep my software updated on all my devices and the recent upgrade to macOS Catalina has limited my choices even further than before.  Even then I would have been limited to re playing games I had already played like Bioshock Infinite or Deus Ex both 32bit games and now unavailable to me.
I prefer solo games because my internet speeds are not good enough for team play.
I do not like RPG's most of which are just glorified board games in my opinion despite the obvious complexity and quality of some of them.
Apple's new innovation, Arcade is much the same.  Lots of fast moving colourful games ideal for family play with the kids on big screens, not something that appeals to me.
What I have loved over the years have all been shooters with a good underlying plot, charecters i could identify with and missions with clear objectives.  I can trace my mac game playing back to the Marathon Trilogy and Halo which in my mind are still better than many of the offerings on the App Store today.  Even Quake 3 and the last Doom edition had believable story lines, great graphics, atmosphere, sound and objectives.  Prey which was for a time available on the App store was perhaps the least of these games yet even that excelled in every area over the stupid, seemingly pointless zombie shooters available now.  
The Metro series was yet another great example of what I would like to have today.  I would gladly pay whatever the price for a similar quality game but there don't seem to be any.
Please tell me that there is some glimmer of hope on the horizon or do I have to finally accept that buying a dedicated Windows gaming PC is the only way forward.
Right now I am on my fourth play through of Borderlands 2 as Zero (my least favourite character).  After that it looks like a dead end.
macOS Beta Tester, current primary device; late 2015 13" MBP retina 500Gb. 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

#2 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 12:25 AM

I feel your pain, and single player, dead-brained shooters like the storyline of Black Ops 3 isn't worth following through on. For what it's worth, Metro: Last Light Redux does run on Catalina despite the Steam Store listing… but I've played through that twice. I was in the middle of maybe my third playthrough of BioShock: Infinite when I sadly upgraded to Catalina. We need more experiences like that.

Opinion: First-Person Shooter Campaigns Are Dying, and That’s Awful
macOS 10.15.x/3.5GHZ 8-Core Xeon W-3223 2019 MacPro/32GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII

macOS 10.15.x/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil 5700XT
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

macOS 10.14.x/3.33GHz Xeon W3580 cMacPro (5,1 flash)/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil RX580

#3 jos

jos

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 12:00 PM

I agree. We definitely need single-player first-person shooters on the Mac. Games like Doom 3, Prey, Quake 4, Rage and Duke Nukem: Forever have all been pulled from the Mac App Store last year. So, what's still left to play? Absolutely nothing. Yeah, Aspyr released Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 last year, but I couldn't care less about those modern Call of Duty games. I'd rather play the first two Call of Duty games, but they've been pulled from the Mac App Store as well. Back in the old days we could always rely on id Software to release their games on the Mac, but where are the new Doom and Wolfenstein games? Nowhere to be found on the Mac. Single-player first-person shooters are my favourite genre, but like you said there's absolutely nothing left.

#4 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3392 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 20 January 2020 - 11:30 PM

Borderlands 3 is available on Mac. Dues Ex: Mankind Divided is also available (I think it still works in Catalina).

You could also give the new Tomb Riader games a try. They are 3rd person story driven action/adventure games that have a decent story and fun gameplay. I know it is not fps but it might be a single player game that you enjoy.
2019 16" MBP: i7 9750H @ 2.6 GHz || Radeon 5500M 4GB || 16 GB DDR4 || 512 GB SSD || macOS Catalina
Desktop PC: R5 3600X || GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 || 16 GB DDR4 || 960 Evo NVMe + 1TB Seagate FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: 30TB Plex Server || PS4 Pro || iPhone X

#5 jos

jos

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 09:49 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 20 January 2020 - 11:30 PM, said:

Borderlands 3 is available on Mac. Dues Ex: Mankind Divided is also available (I think it still works in Catalina).

You could also give the new Tomb Riader games a try. They are 3rd person story driven action/adventure games that have a decent story and fun gameplay. I know it is not fps but it might be a single player game that you enjoy.

Personally I don't care about the Borderlands or Deus Ex games, but I think the new Tomb Raider games are a good suggestion. Of course they're not first-person shooters, but they're fantastic ports of very good third-person action-adventures. Back in the days of all of those fantastic single-player first-person shooters those games were my favourites, but I enjoy more than one genre of games and third-person games are definitely fun as well. I really enjoy playing games like Tomb Raider, Mafia, Max Payne and Hitman. I'd rather play a high-quality third-person game than one of those lame first-person shooters that we see being released nowadays.

#6 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 21 January 2020 - 11:20 AM

View Postjos, on 21 January 2020 - 09:49 AM, said:

Personally I don't care about the Borderlands or Deus Ex games,

:ohmy: You know you can play them like FPSes, right? Though IMO they work better as stealth action games.

I finished the TR reboot but I didn't like it. The story was terrible and the action monotonous. The actual tomb raiding was the best part and it was barely there.

Black Mesa might be coming to macOS...though it would be after 1.0 has released with most of its patches. So maybe in a year.

#7 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 11:06 AM

I'm a big fan of single-player first-person shooters too and don't like TPS much. I have saved Metro 2033 Redux and Last Light Redux, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Bioshock Remastered and Borderlands 2 for Catalina and a new iMac. I'm also considering buying Dying light, Borderlands 3 and Alien Isolation which all are 64-bits but that's about it. I agree that there are not other single-player first-person shooters out there worth playing . I would love to see Metro Exodus, The Outer Worlds, Wolfenstein: The New Order, The Old Blood, The New Colossus, Dying Light 2 and some Halo games ported to Mac.

#8 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 11:13 AM

View Postjos, on 20 January 2020 - 12:00 PM, said:

Games like Doom 3, Prey, Quake 4, Rage and Duke Nukem: Forever have all been pulled from the Mac App Store last year.

Doom 3 and Quake 4 are still on MGS.

#9 ehuelga

ehuelga

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Steam Name:El Spud

Posted 22 January 2020 - 01:46 PM

The recent Tomb Raider games were visually impressive, but relentlessly grim and ultra-violent. I'm a big fan of Borderlands 2, which is extraordinarily vast, smartly written, often hilarious, and… ultra-violent in a ridiculous fun kinda way. Buy the Handsome Collection on a Steam sale and it should keep you busy for a while.
The commute from Mill Valley to Cupertino is a real bitch.

#10 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 22 January 2020 - 04:53 PM

View PostHomy, on 22 January 2020 - 11:06 AM, said:

I would love to see [...] Dying Light 2 [...] ported to Mac.

The game's not even out, it's been delayed.

#11 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:56 PM

System Shock is coming to Mac this year. :)

#12 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:13 PM

That's definitely on my RADAR! I'd pledge were it not for my apprehensiveness regarding games being released for macOS—I'll hand over money when it's available. I'm very hopeful though. :nods:
macOS 10.15.x/3.5GHZ 8-Core Xeon W-3223 2019 MacPro/32GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII

macOS 10.15.x/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil 5700XT
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

macOS 10.14.x/3.33GHz Xeon W3580 cMacPro (5,1 flash)/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil RX580

#13 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2865 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:51 AM

Not to be confused with System Shock 3, which is also being worked on (by Warren Spector!) https://otherside-e....system-shock-3/
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#14 jos

jos

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 07:09 AM

View PostCougar, on 21 January 2020 - 11:20 AM, said:

:ohmy: You know you can play them like FPSes, right? Though IMO they work better as stealth action games.

I finished the TR reboot but I didn't like it. The story was terrible and the action monotonous. The actual tomb raiding was the best part and it was barely there.

Black Mesa might be coming to macOS...though it would be after 1.0 has released with most of its patches. So maybe in a year.

Well, not everyone likes the same kind of games and Deus Ex is just not my kind of game.

For as far as I know the actual tomb raiding plays a bigger part in the later games of the reboot trilogy.

View PostHomy, on 22 January 2020 - 11:06 AM, said:

I'm a big fan of single-player first-person shooters too and don't like TPS much. I have saved Metro 2033 Redux and Last Light Redux, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Bioshock Remastered and Borderlands 2 for Catalina and a new iMac. I'm also considering buying Dying light, Borderlands 3 and Alien Isolation which all are 64-bits but that's about it. I agree that there are not other single-player first-person shooters out there worth playing . I would love to see Metro Exodus, The Outer Worlds, Wolfenstein: The New Order, The Old Blood, The New Colossus, Dying Light 2 and some Halo games ported to Mac.

I'm also interested in the Metro games and Alien: Isolation.

View PostMatt Diamond, on 24 January 2020 - 11:51 AM, said:

Not to be confused with System Shock 3, which is also being worked on (by Warren Spector!) https://otherside-e....system-shock-3/

Thanks for clearing that up. I knew about the System Shock remake, but recently I heard something about System Shock 3 and I thought: "WTH? System Shock 3? I thought they were working on a remake of the original." I thought I was going crazy, so thanks for clearing that up.

#15 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:33 AM

View Postjos, on 25 January 2020 - 07:09 AM, said:

For as far as I know the actual tomb raiding plays a bigger part in the later games of the reboot trilogy.

That’s my understanding too, but I’ve also heard the stories are even worse.

#16 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:33 AM

The story of Tomb Raider games has never been good, has it? The same can be said for FPS games in general.
As for Rise of the Tomb raider, I didn't find the story worse, and there are nice cutscenes.
I still prefer TR Anniversary. I has the best puzzles of the series IMO.

#17 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 03:35 AM

View Postjeannot, on 27 January 2020 - 12:33 AM, said:

The story of Tomb Raider games has never been good, has it? The same can be said for FPS games in general.
As for Rise of the Tomb raider, I didn't find the story worse, and there are nice cutscenes.

I never played the originals, but it's not 1999 anymore, so that's no excuse.  And I can think of many FPS/TPS games with halfway decent stories. Max Payne, Spec Ops: The Line, Halo, Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force 1 & 2, , Prey, Half-Life series, Metro series, Dead Space...and many more if you open up the category to immersive sims like System Shock, STALKER, and Deus Ex.

#18 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 28 January 2020 - 05:43 AM

Maybe this list helps a bit for getting inspirations: Singleplayer, FPS, Mac:

https://store.steamp...egory3=2&os=mac

sorry for taking the fun out of suggesting ;)
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

#19 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:19 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 24 January 2020 - 11:51 AM, said:

Apparently SS3 is in trouble. They lost their publisher and can’t find another. People have been let go.

#20 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2865 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 January 2020 - 12:05 PM

View PostCougar, on 28 January 2020 - 09:19 AM, said:

Apparently SS3 is in trouble. They lost their publisher and can't find another. People have been let go.
Sorry to hear that. The legacy of Looking Glass Studios lives on...

DoubleFine is still working on Psychonauts 2, thankfully, but they recently announced they are joining XBox Game Studios. Keeping the lights on isn't easy..
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FPS