Is there really a such thing as a Mac game?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Ballmer

Steve Ballmer

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:59 PM

All good games are actually developed and created on Windows based PC's and as an afterthought ported to Mac if the program is simple enough. Mac games ended when we bought Bungie.

The truth hurts.
The Secret Diary of Steve Ballmer - new and improved!

#2 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1513 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:08 PM

I shouldn't take the bait here but...

Any game that runs on a Mac can be called a Mac game.

I think you missed the memo about how many AAA games are ported to Windows from console origins which means that plenty of good games that wind up on Windows are ports to Windows, you know, like plenty of good games are ported to Mac. Yes, you get more of them and it is no wonder all things considered.

The truth is just fine for people who make considered decisions they feel good about. I know I would far prefer to be using a nice MacBook running macOS but for the time being I am running a cheapo HP laptop with a free (legally so) copy of Windows 10 because you get what you pay for basically, as usual. Hmm, maybe you were right. I suppose the truth must hurt for you if your daily driver is some Windows box. No wonder you need to write a post like this trying to make yourself feel better.

Personally, games (many of them ported from console) are about the only thing that could justify owning a PC for me. Fortunately, I have consoles for that.

By the way Steve, how's the mobile Windows phone business working out? Do those still exist?
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#3 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Steam Name:Ian
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:11 PM

What?
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

GOG: ipickert55 Add me!

Zeus - Intel Core i7-5820K 3.30 Ghz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 RAM

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS Seirra 10.12.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:57 PM

OMG!  Mr. Ballmer is back!  It's been years.  The last I saw you, and this is to the best of my recall, some internet men were sent to this forum to take you back to wherever it was you had apparently escaped from.  It was all very mysterious.  I thought you were hilarious, a master at dry humor.  I was sorry to see you go but your exit was exquisite, Anyway you're back and I don't think the internet men have a clue you've escaped again!  So make hay while the sun shines me boyo.  I look forward to your humorous mayhem.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 G_Player

G_Player

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:21 PM

Is the OP the real Steve "Monkey Boy" Ballmer?!? In my mind I can still visualize the QuickTime movie of good ol' Steve coming out on stage, backed by some good ol' rock-n-roll, fist pumping into the air and screaming, "Give it up for me!" You made ONE trip around the stage, screaming and yelling, and upon reaching the podium, needed 5 minutes of heavy breathing and sweating before you could speak.

Aaaah, but if you had been successful at "knifing the baby" (killing off QuickTime), I never would have had such a good laugh. Waitaminute… didn't you guys lose a lawsuit from Apple after you shamelessly ripped-off code (copy/pasted) from QuickTime to create your Windows Media Player?

And your software engineers secretly call Apple, "R&D South".

The truth hurts.

Anywho, yes games created for Mac would be nice. But if I want to see what Windows will be doing five years from now, I'll buy a Mac today.
My computer often beats me in Strip Poker but doesn't stand a chance against my kick-boxing!

#6 jeannot

jeannot

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:08 AM

View PostSteve Ballmer, on 03 October 2017 - 03:59 PM, said:

All good games are actually developed and created on Windows based PC's and as an afterthought ported to Mac if the program is simple enough. Mac games ended when we bought Bungie.

The truth hurts.
This reads like a post from 10 years ago. But I can understand that as Mr. Ballmer is always years late. Wasn't the iPhone supposed to fail? How is Windows phone going?

#7 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1513 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:20 AM

View PostG_Player, on 03 October 2017 - 11:21 PM, said:

....I want to see what Windows will be doing five years from now, I'll buy a Mac today.

This was the best part. Good stuff! :)

I recall not long ago some reminiscing here about this very Mr. Ballmer I believe. What timing for his return. I am looking forward to more of yesterday's news here myself from the one and only.

If only Sports Illustrated could get us a video of Mr. Ballmer getting worked up and doing the dance for his sports team. I suspect he has just as much energy as ever and yet this incredible ability to reach a fever pitch just short of a nuclear meltdown without blowing a gasket. This is truly amazing to behold as in the storied video of old showcasing the amazing at a Microsoft sales meeting. That was priceless. I believe I still have my own copy of that moment in history.

#8 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:52 AM

Jeff Vogel develops his games on Mac and ports them to Windows. Check and mate.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#9 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:35 AM

Ah, good times... good times.

Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#10 ipickert55

ipickert55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:04 PM

There is an inside joke here and I am missing it.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS Seirra 10.12.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#11 nick68k

nick68k

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 245 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:46 PM

View PostG_Player, on 03 October 2017 - 11:21 PM, said:

Is the OP the real Steve "Monkey Boy" Ballmer?!?

Of course!
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#12 Steve Ballmer

Steve Ballmer

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:48 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 04 October 2017 - 06:52 AM, said:

Jeff Vogel develops his games on Mac and ports them to Windows. Check and mate.
Who?

View Postnick68k, on 04 October 2017 - 07:46 PM, said:

Of course!

View Postnick68k, on 04 October 2017 - 07:46 PM, said:

Of course!
What's OP?

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 04 October 2017 - 10:35 AM, said:

Ah, good times... good times.

That wasn't me!

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 03 October 2017 - 04:08 PM, said:

I shouldn't take the bait here but...

Any game that runs on a Mac can be called a Mac game.

I think you missed the memo about how many AAA games are ported to Windows from console origins which means that plenty of good games that wind up on Windows are ports to Windows, you know, like plenty of good games are ported to Mac. Yes, you get more of them and it is no wonder all things considered.

The truth is just fine for people who make considered decisions they feel good about. I know I would far prefer to be using a nice MacBook running macOS but for the time being I am running a cheapo HP laptop with a free (legally so) copy of Windows 10 because you get what you pay for basically, as usual. Hmm, maybe you were right. I suppose the truth must hurt for you if your daily driver is some Windows box. No wonder you need to write a post like this trying to make yourself feel better.

Personally, games (many of them ported from console) are about the only thing that could justify owning a PC for me. Fortunately, I have consoles for that.

By the way Steve, how's the mobile Windows phone business working out? Do those still exist?
Baited! This is gonna' be easy, a room full of mactards .... hahahahaha

#13 ipickert55

ipickert55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:04 AM

Is this real? Is anything real?

#14 Steve Ballmer

Steve Ballmer

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:04 AM

View Postjeannot, on 04 October 2017 - 02:08 AM, said:

This reads like a post from 10 years ago. But I can understand that as Mr. Ballmer is always years late. Wasn't the iPhone supposed to fail? How is Windows phone going?
We are selling dozens daily, thank you very much.

#15 G_Player

G_Player

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:14 PM

"OP" means Original Poster, that'd be you.

But Steve "Monkey Boy" Ballmer would know this.

Seriously, you're just a teenage troll because…

A. You do not know correct grammatical language:
  You don't write, "Is there really a such thing as a Mac game?"
  You should have written, "Is there really such a thing as a Mac game?"

B. The fact that you made the same grammatical error, twice.

C. You really don't have the leisure time to be posting on a Macintosh specific site in the forums if you are teaching courses AND are an owner of an NBA team, all the while raising three children.

D.  Monkey Boy's "Location" is not Redmond, he lives in Hunts Point, Washington.

E.  As promised, you still haven't killed Google.

F. Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing (v32) works just as well on a PC as on a Mac.

BTW, love the new avatar. Now if you'd just hold your little pinkie up to the corner of your mouth, you'd be a dead-ringer for Dr. Evil!

Before you impersonate someone else, at least do your research.

Sheeeesh!
My computer often beats me in Strip Poker but doesn't stand a chance against my kick-boxing!

#16 G_Player

G_Player

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:26 PM

Hey Battle Cat,

Can you change his avatar to Dr. Evil ?  :w00t:

That'd be awesome!

#17 ipickert55

ipickert55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:46 PM

This guy can't be real. This is some elaborate sarcasm or satire or something right?

#18 G_Player

G_Player

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:00 PM

Yup.

Just a troll.

#19 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1513 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:26 PM

Mr. Ballmer is fine. I don't think he is a troll. He loves that company! He can't even help it. He still loves that company. He will always love that company. This is just something the man needs to do. We are like heathen needing redemption to this guy. He is just trying to help us in his own enthusiastic and direct way.

You guys do know that between posts Mr. Ballmer is sweating and out of breath from dancing around his PC screaming, right?

#20 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:14 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 05 October 2017 - 07:26 PM, said:

Mr. Ballmer is fine. I don't think he is a troll. He loves that company! He can't even help it. He still loves that company. He will always love that company. This is just something the man needs to do. We are like heathen needing redemption to this guy. He is just trying to help us in his own enthusiastic and direct way.

You guys do know that between posts Mr. Ballmer is sweating and out of breath from dancing around his PC screaming, right?

OOOOOOOOOOO... WOOOOOO.... OOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.