#1 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8257 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 30 April 2018 - 04:07 AM

BATTLETECH has been released on schedule last week, and Harebrained and/or Paradox managed to botch the first impression for me – even before I could play a single second of the game.

The problem was that the version you could download from the Humble Bundle was broken, and they took apparently at least three attempts to get it right – each requiring a complete redownload of the almost 12 GB big archive. I managed to install the game with the second version of the installer, but that required some manual tweaking and a couple of extra hoops to jump through… :glare:

Anyway, I hadn't had too much opportunity to play until now, so I can only give you some early impressions: the full game runs a bit worse than the Kickstarter backer beta I could play a while ago, possibly because the maps are a bit more complex than the skirmish map in the beta.

The gameplay and the pacing is comparable to XCOM, so it's a fairly slow and deliberate game, maybe a bit too slow here and there as the action camera sometimes lingers a couple of seconds too long on the aftermath of the recent move. (As this was apparently an intentional choice by the developers, which can easily be changed in a configuration file, I would expect this be subject to change in upcoming patches.)

The biggest issue I see so far is that the game is terrible at explaining itself. There is a short tutorial, which shows you little more than how to move and attack, and introduces the heat mechanics, but many core elements are never properly explained. If I hadn't prior knowledge from the beta and backer updates, in which the gameplay design was elaborated, I often would have been at a loss.

If you want to waste two hours of your life watching me fumble through the character creation, the tutorial, and the first few missions, you can:

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#2 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6173 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:24 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 30 April 2018 - 04:07 AM, said:

If you want to waste two hours of your life

Posted Image
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 8086K / 32GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN Xp 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.