Geforce NOW Experience since going public...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 02:17 PM

So, I'm sharing my continuing experience with GFN:

I have noticed that even more games have stopped working for me (Borderlands 1 and 2), adding to the list that includes Doom 2016, Quake Champions, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. If they can’t continue to provide access to games that I and others want to play, why should we stick around?!?

I was just about ready to buy Borderlands 3 since it’s launching on Steam this weekend, but if nVidia can’t keep their developers/publishers from pulling their games, I’m not sure....

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8576 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 15 March 2020 - 09:25 AM

Posted Image

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4352 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 15 March 2020 - 09:58 AM

Too good for consumers. Good. But why the frack does that mean they pull their games? It makes NO sense. I could imagine if one or two companies did it, just because they are EA/Blizzard, but so many? It makes no sense.
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#4 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1803 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 15 March 2020 - 10:31 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 15 March 2020 - 09:58 AM, said:

Too good for consumers. Good. But why the frack does that mean they pull their games? It makes NO sense. I could imagine if one or two companies did it, just because they are EA/Blizzard, but so many? It makes no sense.

For the smaller companies, I wonder if itís just them not realizing what it is. I canít help but wonder if it had gone final before Stadia was released, things would be different. Now had been in beta for years without any developer freaking out about it.

#5 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4352 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 05:12 PM

View PostCougar, on 15 March 2020 - 10:31 AM, said:

For the smaller companies, I wonder if it's just them not realizing what it is.
If that is the case, they are incredibly incompetent. It would take them 5 minutes of research to figure it out.

#6 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2986 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 March 2020 - 08:50 PM

My guess is that publishers want to get paid. From the consumer's point of view we bought the game license so this makes no sense. We might even buy more games because we have a new way to play them. But the publishers clearly have the ability to yank their games, so that gives them leverage. If they can charge, many companies will. It's shortsighted but there you are.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#7 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4352 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 04:32 AM

It is the argument that makes the most reason, but I don't know what they want to leverage about, as I am quite sure that there's a legal problem in what they are doing, unless Nvidia has to do specific software changes to each software in order for things to work.

#8 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2986 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 08:44 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 16 March 2020 - 04:32 AM, said:

It is the argument that makes the most reason, but I don't know what they want to leverage about, as I am quite sure that there's a legal problem in what they are doing, unless Nvidia has to do specific software changes to each software in order for things to work.
You could very well be right, but faced with a demand from the publisher, nVidia might have to cave or go to court. A potentially lengthy and expensive fight, for a service which may not be a huge moneymaker.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on tv. But I did represent myself in small claims court once.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#9 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1803 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 16 March 2020 - 09:02 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 16 March 2020 - 04:32 AM, said:

It doesnít. In the early days of the beta you could get any Steam game to work with a workaround. You could even see the Windows desktop. The comic is quite correct: youíre just renting access to a remote PC.

#10 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 09:37 AM

Well, I just submitted a help ticket to 2K about puling their games from GFN. I'll let you know if/when I get a helpful answer.
COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!

#11 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6212 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 21 March 2020 - 04:23 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 15 March 2020 - 09:25 AM, said:

Posted Image

Basically, this.

You're paying to rent a remote PC from NVIDIA. They would rather you pay to rent their games when you stream, or alternately buy them a second time. Because it doesn't matter that you had to buy their game in the first place in order to play it on GFN. By God, you should pay twice and pad that bottom line, you consumer scum!

Glad NVIDIA is continuing to support their GameStream solution too so I can just stream it from my own PC and give publishers the middle finger. Doesn't matter if GFN gives me less lag if the fookin' publishers won't let me use it.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 3.6 GHz i7 9900K / 32GB RAM / 2x2TB Intel 7600p (RAID0), 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN V 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.