Rise of The Tomb Raider™ announced for macOS, Linux!

tomb raider tomb raider rise awesome 20 year

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 elowel

elowel

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:14 AM

I'm interested to know how Feral got PureHair/TressFX working, as I was under the impression the version RoTR was using needed DX11/DirectCompute to work. At any rate, the library is open source (as opposed to nVidia HairWorks which is not).
Awesome achievement regardless!

#22 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:21 AM

Some settings are absent from the Mac version: tesselation and HBAO+ for ambient occlusion, and perhaps others.
So we don't have tesselation? :huh:

#23 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8210 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:47 AM

View Postjeannot, on 26 April 2018 - 02:21 AM, said:

… HBAO+ for ambient occlusion, …
HBAO+ is a proprietary Nvidia technology.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#24 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:46 PM

Ok, but the lack of tessellation setting is surprising. I hope it's not due to Metal not being adequate.

#25 elowel

elowel

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:25 PM

More than likely just differences in how Metal tessellation works not being compatible with RoTRs engine.

#26 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 02:58 AM

If true, this does not bode well for future games that could require tessellation.

EDIT: apparently, the game uses tessellation for snow deformation so it's working on the Mac. But terrain tessellation was introduced in the Windows port and apparently didn't make it to the Mac version. I wonder if it's available onLinux.
Other effects introduced with the Windows version are present, like sun soft shadows.

#27 elowel

elowel

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:49 AM

Again, that's probably more to do with differences in how Metal handles tessellation and the nature of porting an engine built around another platform/API.

#28 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:17 PM

Really enjoying this game (10hrs in). Actually turned graphics all up and still getting a smooth enough experience for me.

Had not realised there is a sequel planned for later this year (remember last time it was a console exclusive for a long time).

With Feral getting Mac games out as early as day one (with F1 2017) and assuming same game engine wonder if we might see that make it before Christmas....
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.13.1

#29 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 02:06 PM

For this episode, it seems Feral started the port a long time after the Windows release. I hope the delay will be shorter for the next one.

#30 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 02:25 PM

I imagine a lot of that was down to Metal and features rather than licensing given their track record with Square Enix ports. Hopefully the recent improvements make life easier - certainly the number of recent triple A titles is promising.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.13.1

#31 elowel

elowel

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:14 PM

Pretty much. 10.13.4 fixed (like most point releases these days) a lot of driver and API bugs, assumedly making is finally feasible to release the game.

#32 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:09 PM

View Postelowel, on 22 April 2018 - 07:14 AM, said:

I'm interested to know how Feral got PureHair/TressFX working, as I was under the impression the version RoTR was using needed DX11/DirectCompute to work. At any rate, the library is open source (as opposed to nVidia HairWorks which is not).
Awesome achievement regardless!
Awesome indeed. TressFX is open source, but it's still a DirectX API. I was sure we would only get the "normal" hair rendering on the Mac, which would have been fine by me and I suppose everyone else.
But Feral went further and gave us their best. Not satisfied to port the Foundation engine itself, they had to convert an major underlying API (TressFX) two 2 other OSes and APIs at the same time, with stellar performance.
Feral is really at the forefront of Vulkan and Metal programming. It'd be nice to have a story with interviews about their recent achievements. I'm not sure who can reach them. I certainly can't.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tomb raider, tomb, raider, rise, awesome, 20 year