Anyone else using a Microsoft Robot White Controller (1914)?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 DoubleTap

DoubleTap

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 09:38 PM

I thought that with it having iOS compatibility it would be Apple™ friendly. That it is not. Doesn't show up in most Steam™ games.

Curious if anyone out there is having any better luck then I with this controller.

#2 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Gaming way too long

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1768 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 09:59 PM

I don't have one, I use PS4 controllers, but I was sure macOS had XBOX controller support as well. I know support is different from game to game as well
macOS 10.15.x/3.5GHZ 8-Core Xeon W-3223 2019 MacPro/48GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII

macOS 10.15.x/Manjario KDE/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil 5700XT
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

macOS 10.14.x/3.33GHz Xeon W3580 cMacPro (5,1 flash)/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil RX580

#3 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3295 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 March 2021 - 07:58 AM

Mac generally supports XBox controllers with Bluetooth. (If using USB, there are drivers available)
Looking at a product page for this controller, it apparently supports "wireless" and "bluetooth". Not sure if there's a switch you need to toggle to get it to bluetooth.

Also, if its been paired to an XBox or other device you would need to unpair it.
And make sure bluetooth is enabled on the Mac, obviously.
As a test you can try it with iOS too.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 11.6/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#4 DoubleTap

DoubleTap

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 08:20 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 09 March 2021 - 07:58 AM, said:

Mac generally supports XBox controllers with Bluetooth. (If using USB, there are drivers available)
Looking at a product page for this controller, it apparently supports "wireless" and "bluetooth". Not sure if there's a switch you need to toggle to get it to bluetooth.

Also, if its been paired to an XBox or other device you would need to unpair it.
And make sure bluetooth is enabled on the Mac, obviously.
As a test you can try it with iOS too.

The controller connects just fine. It works for a few games. Doesn't work for any Feral games. I dug into Steam preferences last night and enabled everything and loaded in a Xbox configuration. It still doesn't show up in any Feral game.

I can't seem to attach pictures. Here are the links to my screenshots.

https://ibb.co/8MXFVKm
https://ibb.co/JcCjHkw
https://ibb.co/HGnKSJQ

View PostUmarOMC1, on 08 March 2021 - 09:59 PM, said:

I don't have one, I use PS4 controllers, but I was sure macOS had XBOX controller support as well. I know support is different from game to game as well

My wireless Xbox 360 controllers have worked great for years. I thought buying the latest technology would make the experience even better. I was wrong.

#5 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Colonel Chaos

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2316 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 01:28 AM

do the 360 controllers work on these games?

#6 DoubleTap

DoubleTap

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 07:51 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 10 March 2021 - 01:28 AM, said:

do the 360 controllers work on these games?
Yes.

#7 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3295 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 11:13 AM

Very interesting. You would be doing everyone a favor by telling Feral support about this.

From Feral's gamepad support page:

If your gamepad is not on the list, email padsupport@feralinteractive.com and our support team will reply to you with a request for information about your device. Once we have this information, a gamepad support file will be created and emailed to you.
Once created, this gamepad support file will be used in all future games and updates - so you will not only be helping us get your device working; you will also help all other owners of the same device who play Feral games!

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 11.6/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#8 DoubleTap

DoubleTap

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 09:14 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 10 March 2021 - 11:13 AM, said:

Very interesting. You would be doing everyone a favor by telling Feral support about this.

Thanks for the link. I will do that. I really like the controller when it works.

#9 DoubleTap

DoubleTap

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 11:15 AM

<p><p>

View PostMatt Diamond, on 10 March 2021 - 11:13 AM, said:

Feral got back to me:

Bryn Powell (Feral Interactive)
Mar 11, 2021, 10:46 GMT

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your message.

I have attached a file to this email. Please download the file and carry out the following steps:

Find your installation of your Feral Interactive game - this is usually in the main Applications folder (if using a Steam version the application can be found by Right Clicking game in Steam Library, then selecting Properties > Local Files > Browse Local Files).
Right click the game's application icon and choose 'Show Package Contents' from the dropdown menu.
Open the 'Contents' folder, then the 'Resources' folder and finally 'Input Devices'.
Drag the attached .plist file into the folder (you may be asked to Authenticate using your username and password, please do so).
Close the Finder window.
Restart the game with the controller connected.

Please let us know if this helps.

Best regards,
Bryn Powell
Feral Interactive Support

http://support.feralinteractive.com

**** Make Your Play ****

Attachment(s)
XboxSeriesBluetooth.plist

https://feral.zendes...Bluetooth.plist

I am happy to report that all of my Feral games are now working with my controller.

Thanks Matt Diamond for the suggestion.

Now I need to get a hold Asypr.

#10 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Gaming way too long

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1768 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 12:27 AM

View PostDoubleTap, on 12 March 2021 - 11:15 AM, said:

Now I need to get a hold [of] Asypr.
I'm interested to see how this goes.
macOS 10.15.x/3.5GHZ 8-Core Xeon W-3223 2019 MacPro/48GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII

macOS 10.15.x/Manjario KDE/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil 5700XT
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

macOS 10.14.x/3.33GHz Xeon W3580 cMacPro (5,1 flash)/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil RX580

#11 jos

jos

Forum Member of the Month

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 09:07 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 13 March 2021 - 12:27 AM, said:

View PostDoubleTap, on 12 March 2021 - 11:15 AM, said:

Now I need to get a hold [of] Asypr.
I'm interested to see how this goes.

I can already tell you how it'll go. DoubleTap sends them an email and waits for a few days. After several days he still hasn't heard from them, so he sends them a second email. Again, he gets absolutely no reply at all. No matter what he tries to contact them, he never hears from them and in the end he just gives up.

Feral's support has always been way better than Aspyr's and now that Aspyr's completely given up on the Mac you just don't hear from them at all. They're too busy with their console games and no longer care at all about the Mac. I wouldn't be surprised if all of their Macs are already gone from their office and they're currently only using consoles and Windows machines.

Anyway, that's some great support from Feral again. Just send them an email and within a day you already receive an email back with the .plist file they created for you. Again, amazing support. Now, if they'd announce and release some interesting new games, I'd be able to support these guys by buying their games.

#12 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Gaming way too long

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1768 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 10:00 PM

Yep. I didn't want to get into it but that's exactly why I just posted it as succinctly as possible. For what it's worth I hope it works out.

#13 DoubleTap

DoubleTap

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 02:27 AM

View Postjos, on 13 March 2021 - 09:07 AM, said:

I can already tell you how it'll go. DoubleTap sends them an email and waits for a few days. After several days he still hasn't heard from them, so he sends them a second email. Again, he gets absolutely no reply at all. No matter what he tries to contact them, he never hears from them and in the end he just gives up.

Feral's support has always been way better than Aspyr's and now that Aspyr's completely given up on the Mac you just don't hear from them at all. They're too busy with their console games and no longer care at all about the Mac. I wouldn't be surprised if all of their Macs are already gone from their office and they're currently only using consoles and Windows machines.

Anyway, that's some great support from Feral again. Just send them an email and within a day you already receive an email back with the .plist file they created for you. Again, amazing support. Now, if they'd announce and release some interesting new games, I'd be able to support these guys by buying their games.

I wrote to Steam/Valve. I really don't need Asypr if Valve just fixes their controller support. This is their reply.

Thanks for providing the screenshots.

We were able to reproduce the same driver installation issue in our testing environment and have forwarded your report to the development team for review.

Recent updates to the Mac OS have modified how our drivers are installed and some users have had varying levels of success with modifying their settings in the Security & Privacy > General tab. If drivers are not installing, try clicking the "Allow" button and enable "Legacy Developer: Steam" in the Security & Privacy menu. Some users have mentioned that simply clicking the Allow button helped.

Also, please check if "allow downloads from App Store and identified developers" is enabled in the Security & Privacy > General tab.

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. We are releasing regular feature updates and fixes via the Steam Client beta, so please be sure to watch for a beta fix announcement.

Playing green in all formats,
Emry

#14 DoubleTap

DoubleTap

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 06:21 PM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 13 March 2021 - 10:00 PM, said:

Yep. I didn't want to get into it but that's exactly why I just posted it as succinctly as possible. For what it's worth I hope it works out.
Greetings from the Aspyr Support Team,

We are reaching out to you to inform you that due to an increased volume of requests, we have not been able to assist or fully resolve your request yet.

Thank you for your patience during this time. We will reach out to you as soon as we can!

Aspyr Support

#15 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Gaming way too long

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1768 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 09:54 PM

So same as the last couple of times I tried contacting them the past couple of years; January, 2019 (RAGE), April, 2019 (BlackOps 3), March 2020 (BlackOps 3, where they beat around the bush about no longer supporting multi-platform multiplayer). All in all they took a few days but eventually got back to me. At least it's not the end of the world. :nods:

#16 DoubleTap

DoubleTap

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 02:32 PM

Steam at least seems to care.

Hi there,

Sorry to learn that this behavior persists.

The Bug we've reported is specific to the Mac OS environment, if you happen to have a Windows environment available, please test input there and report your findings for us.

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. We are releasing regular feature updates and fixes via the Steam Client beta, so please be sure to watch for a beta fix announcement.

Once a solution has been announced, opt into the Steam client beta to get the fix.

Thanks much,
John

#17 DoubleTap

DoubleTap

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 05:33 PM

Iwona (Aspyr Support)
Mar 24, 2021, 8:53 AM CDT

Hi there Kevinroa,

thanks for reaching out to Aspyr Support. So sorry for the delayed response, we're experiencing heavy traffic these days.

While adding support for the Microsoft Robot White controller to Borderlands 2 is not a currently planned feature, I'll be forwarding your feedback to the development team. Thank you for taking the time to help us deliver the best game experience possible!

If you have any further feedback, you can submit it directly to our development team via feedback@aspyr.com.

And if you have any other questions, please let me know!

Best,
Aspyr Support

#18 jos

jos

Forum Member of the Month

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 01:06 PM

Fixed:

View PostDoubleTap, on 24 March 2021 - 05:33 PM, said:

Iwona (Aspyr Support)
Mar 24, 2021, 8:53 AM CDT

Hi there Kevinroa yet another annoying Mac gamer,

thanks for reaching out to Aspyr Support for legacy platforms. So sorry for the delayed response, we're experiencing heavy traffic these days giving support to other platforms has a much higher priority, so all enquiries concerning the Mac just have to wait.

While Since adding support for the Microsoft Robot White controller (or adding whatever kind of features or support) to Borderlands 2 (or whatever Mac game) is not a currently planned feature (or ever will be, due to us giving up on the Mac), I'll be forwarding your feedback to the development team deleting this email and pretend we've never received it. Thank you for taking the time to help us deliver the best game experience possible! Shame on you for disturbing us with your annoying Mac question, while we're trying to put all our time and resources into every single available platform that isn't a Mac!

If you have any further feedback, you can submit it directly to our development team via feedback@aspyr.com you can keep it for yourself as we're no longer supporting your platform and no longer want you Mac gamers bugging us while we're hard at work developing games for those other platforms.

And if you have any other questions platforms than the Mac, please let me know!

Best,
Aspyr unSupported on your platform of choice

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist. :P

#19 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17758 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 11:53 AM

Hate to see Aspyr fade away like that.  They used to rock my world!  I love em and respect them, but still, I can't help but feel abandoned.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#20 DoubleTap

DoubleTap

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 12:40 PM

View Postjos, on 25 March 2021 - 01:06 PM, said:

Fixed:

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist. :P