• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 nick68k

nick68k

Enigmatic

• IMG Writers
  • 535 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 06:06 PM

hey guys the last time I actually sat down with rulebooks and friends and dice and what have you was 1987 and the githyanki looked like this...other than being less HD,am I missing anything?

Posted Image

extra bonus material: I met the creator of the githyanki at a science fiction book fair some years ago, by which time he'd become a Very Serious SF Author. He got incredibly shirty when I asked him about them, saying he wouldn't write that sort of crap now. So, if you ever happen to bump into him, don't hesitate to remind him of his youthful endeavours.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#22 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1845 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 13 October 2020 - 09:37 PM

View Postnick68k, on 13 October 2020 - 06:06 PM, said:

extra bonus material: I met the creator of the githyanki at a science fiction book fair some years ago, by which time he'd become a Very Serious SF Author. He got incredibly shirty when I asked him about them, saying he wouldn't write that sort of crap now. So, if you ever happen to bump into him, don't hesitate to remind him of his youthful endeavours.

Woah, way to bury the lede...you met Charles Stross?? Way cool. Love Accelerando. According to Fandom wiki, "The githyanki/illithid relationship was inspired by Larry Niven's World of Ptavvs." I wonder if that means he doesn't think too fondly of Niven? :unsure: Incidentally I have met Niven before and he was really nice. Like most SF authors I've met though he was a billion years older than I envisioned him.

#23 nick68k

nick68k

Enigmatic

• IMG Writers
  • 535 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 09:56 PM

View PostCougar, on 13 October 2020 - 09:37 PM, said:

Woah, way to bury the lede...you met Charles Stross??

If I were to answer that a rain of telephones might start falling from the sky.

Grats on Niven though, that's hard to beat.

#24 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1845 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 10:10 PM

View Postnick68k, on 13 October 2020 - 09:56 PM, said:

If I were to answer that a rain of telephones might start falling from the sky.

Grats on Niven though, that's hard to beat.

He's probably not the most famous... I studied SF academically through most of my twenties so I met or at least heard speak quite a few. By far the most famous author I've met is Neil Gaiman... the fame of most SF authors (who are still alive) is a bit harder to judge.

#25 nick68k

nick68k

Enigmatic

• IMG Writers
  • 535 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 10:27 PM

View PostCougar, on 13 October 2020 - 10:10 PM, said:

He's probably not the most famous... I studied SF academically through most of my twenties so I met or at least heard speak quite a few. By far the most famous author I've met is Neil Gaiman... the fame of most SF authors (who are still alive) is a bit harder to judge.

I ended up meeting Stross by happenstance; I went along to the event with the intention of hearing Brian Aldiss speak, but he pulled out at the last moment due to poor health. I never did get to meet Aldiss.

#26 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3086 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 October 2020 - 10:40 AM

I was taken to a science lecture by Asimov when I was quite young. I'll have to ask my dad how that came about.. I don't remember anything except that during the Q&A my friend asked him a question about his fiction.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#27 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3086 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 10:54 AM

By far the most famous author I've met is Neil Gaiman...
At the risk of drifting even further off-topic, you might enjoy hearing him read "Bad Gaiman": https://www.youtube....h?v=-cK-8jnub5Q

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#28 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8633 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 14 October 2020 - 12:52 PM

...the fame of most SF authors (who are still alive) is a bit harder to judge.
William Gibson and Neal Stephenson are pretty famous and recognisable, I would say.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#29 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3460 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:39 PM

Anyone liking this game? I'm tempting to buy it - although RIP my SSD if I do with that 150GB requirement.
2019 16" MBP: i7 9750H @ 2.6 GHz || Radeon 5500M 4GB || 16 GB DDR4 || 512 GB SSD || macOS Catalina
Desktop PC: R5 3600X || RTX 2080 || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB 970 EvoPlus + 1TB Seagate FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: 30TB Plex Server || PS4 Pro || iPhone X

#30 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3086 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:21 PM

I'm not going to write it off yet. I'll have a look once its actually done.

The complaints about it not being true to Forgotten Realms, or making the characters "too unique" (I'm paraphrasing, not quoting) are slightly concerning, but are not deal-breakers to me. I'm not a purist, nor am I an expert on that universe.

I do want it to "feel like D&D" (don't ask me to define what that means) and I'd like it to progress naturally, feel fair, and not feel like a slog to level up characters just to get them ready for the next chapter.

www.mindthecube.com

#31 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Wabbit Swayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 22 October 2020 - 01:03 AM

I'd never buy an Early Access game. That's just a fancy name for prolonged, extended (sometimes never finished) beta version.

#32 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3086 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 07:02 AM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 22 October 2020 - 01:03 AM, said:

I'd never buy an Early Access game. That's just a fancy name for prolonged, extended (sometimes never finished) beta version.
I am in the "almost never" camp. If it's the team's first early access game than the risk is very high.

If you don't count kickstarters which included a beta perk, I've only backed two early access games. One tanked quickly (they had developed a Myth-like for years as a side project, but when they made the jump to early access they collapsed.) The other one is the Subnautica sequel, which I am not worried about because the original was also early access. (Also, I got the original for free and they deserved some money from me.)

One thing I don't like about early access: even if you only buy the finished game, there can be lots of outdated information on the internet if you need to google something.

www.mindthecube.com

#33 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:32 AM

I'm not prepared to average 4 hours of sleep a night like I did with BG 1 and 2. "Just one more level and I can get 'Fireball'!" --> "Oh, let me just explore the last third of this map, it won't take long, esp. now that I have 'Fireball'." --> "Wow, I'm so close to leveling <insert character> here. I'll quit after that." --> "JFC! It's 3 a.m.!!" --> "I'll quit after I travel back and finish off this quest. It'll free up some bag space."  Good times.

#34 Atticus

Atticus

Not Wearing Pants

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1017 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 12:12 PM

I've had my eye on the BG series for a long time, but not sure I'm smart enough to play (seriously). I really enjoy ARPGs because they're good fun for mouth breathers like me, but I haven't really tried turn-based stuff (you know, where you have to stop and THINK about what you're going to do next). How intelligent do you have to be? Are they hard? BG seems pretty complex, but if I could get the hang of more tactical gameplay, I think I would enjoy the BG world.....
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#35 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4451 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 22 October 2020 - 12:54 PM

I played the game as a kid without being able to read english, and enjoyed it immensely, so I think you will be fine.

Of course, I was a hyper intelligent kid.......
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#36 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1845 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 01:23 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 22 October 2020 - 12:54 PM, said:

I played the game as a kid without being able to read english, and enjoyed it immensely, so I think you will be fine.

Of course, I was a hyper intelligent kid.......

I guess I was a dumb kid. Couldn't get out of the mines after three separate attempts. Played it again later as an adult and it was fine. After the mines the game got considerably easier.

#37 Atticus

Atticus

Not Wearing Pants

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1017 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 02:43 PM

Aha, hm. Hyper intelligent kid vs. dumb adult who speaks/reads one language = I'm thinking you have the advantage.

#38 nick68k

nick68k

Enigmatic

• IMG Writers
  • 535 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:00 PM

View PostAtticus, on 22 October 2020 - 12:12 PM, said:

BG seems pretty complex, but if I could get the hang of more tactical gameplay, I think I would enjoy the BG world.....

Some of the fights in the original BG were pretty unforgiving (especially as you were playing extra crappy low-level characters). Fun to beat them, though.

If you want a more ARPG-type experience with an Infinity Engine game, the enhanced edition of Icewind Dale is a blast. Again, some of the encounters can be hard but the IWD:EE allows you to significantly turn down the difficulty if you get really stuck. It gets fun at the higher levels with regards to spellcasters; summon a demon in the middle of a room full of enemy mobs, close the door, and let it get on with it. There's also a lot of stupid fun tricks you can play with exploding skulltraps and delayed blast fireballs.

And since I'm here, here's my perenially unpopular IWD opinion: it's a better roleplayer than the BG series as i) you get to roll your own party, and ii) the sparseness of it all feeds the imagination. The music is also fantastic.

Anyway, getting back on topic. I'd love to give BG3 a shot, but my hardware is laughably underpowered for it.

#39 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 11:51 PM

View PostAtticus, on 22 October 2020 - 12:12 PM, said:

I've had my eye on the BG series for a long time, but not sure I'm smart enough to play (seriously). I really enjoy ARPGs because they're good fun for mouth breathers like me, but I haven't really tried turn-based stuff (you know, where you have to stop and THINK about what you're going to do next). How intelligent do you have to be? Are they hard? BG seems pretty complex, but if I could get the hang of more tactical gameplay, I think I would enjoy the BG world.....
Been a while, but I recall exploiting the AI by sending my stealthed character ahead to scout for monsters, then unstealthing when I was sure I would only aggro one, and kite it back for the rest of my party to wail on it.  Rinse, repeat.  Slow perhaps, but that and steady win the race or something.  

Also, save. A lot. Especially before leveling so you can reload if your mage gains 1 hit point instead of 4, etc.  

Man, now I'm checking out whether my rig can run BG3.  Thanks a lot, Atticus.

#40 Atticus

Atticus

Not Wearing Pants

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1017 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 12:53 PM

MOOOOHAHAHAHAHA. I am the neighborhood pusher. Or something. :-)

Thanks for tips, everyone. I also have my eye on Pillar of Eternity II. Hm. I have some unspent funds in my Steam wallet and need a beefy game to occupy my time over the long covid winter (well, other than 2077, that is). Being the typical ADHD American, I'm too impatient for turn-based combat, but want to give it a fair try.