• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 nick68k

nick68k

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 515 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 06:06 PM

hey guys the last time I actually sat down with rulebooks and friends and dice and what have you was 1987 and the githyanki looked like this...other than being less HD,am I missing anything?

Posted Image

extra bonus material: I met the creator of the githyanki at a science fiction book fair some years ago, by which time he'd become a Very Serious SF Author. He got incredibly shirty when I asked him about them, saying he wouldn't write that sort of crap now. So, if you ever happen to bump into him, don't hesitate to remind him of his youthful endeavours.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#22 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1835 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 13 October 2020 - 09:37 PM

View Postnick68k, on 13 October 2020 - 06:06 PM, said:

extra bonus material: I met the creator of the githyanki at a science fiction book fair some years ago, by which time he'd become a Very Serious SF Author. He got incredibly shirty when I asked him about them, saying he wouldn't write that sort of crap now. So, if you ever happen to bump into him, don't hesitate to remind him of his youthful endeavours.

Woah, way to bury the lede...you met Charles Stross?? Way cool. Love Accelerando. According to Fandom wiki, "The githyanki/illithid relationship was inspired by Larry Niven's World of Ptavvs." I wonder if that means he doesn't think too fondly of Niven? :unsure: Incidentally I have met Niven before and he was really nice. Like most SF authors I've met though he was a billion years older than I envisioned him.

#23 nick68k

nick68k

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 515 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 09:56 PM

View PostCougar, on 13 October 2020 - 09:37 PM, said:

Woah, way to bury the lede...you met Charles Stross??

If I were to answer that a rain of telephones might start falling from the sky.

Grats on Niven though, that's hard to beat.

#24 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1835 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 13 October 2020 - 10:10 PM

View Postnick68k, on 13 October 2020 - 09:56 PM, said:

If I were to answer that a rain of telephones might start falling from the sky.

Grats on Niven though, that's hard to beat.

He's probably not the most famous... I studied SF academically through most of my twenties so I met or at least heard speak quite a few. By far the most famous author I've met is Neil Gaiman... the fame of most SF authors (who are still alive) is a bit harder to judge.

#25 nick68k

nick68k

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 515 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 10:27 PM

View PostCougar, on 13 October 2020 - 10:10 PM, said:

He's probably not the most famous... I studied SF academically through most of my twenties so I met or at least heard speak quite a few. By far the most famous author I've met is Neil Gaiman... the fame of most SF authors (who are still alive) is a bit harder to judge.

I ended up meeting Stross by happenstance; I went along to the event with the intention of hearing Brian Aldiss speak, but he pulled out at the last moment due to poor health. I never did get to meet Aldiss.

#26 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3042 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 October 2020 - 10:40 AM

I was taken to a science lecture by Asimov when I was quite young. I'll have to ask my dad how that came about.. I don't remember anything except that during the Q&A my friend asked him a question about his fiction.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#27 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3042 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 October 2020 - 10:54 AM

By far the most famous author I've met is Neil Gaiman...
At the risk of drifting even further off-topic, you might enjoy hearing him read "Bad Gaiman": https://www.youtube....h?v=-cK-8jnub5Q

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#28 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8611 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 14 October 2020 - 12:52 PM

...the fame of most SF authors (who are still alive) is a bit harder to judge.
William Gibson and Neal Stephenson are pretty famous and recognisable, I would say.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"