Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:51 AM

View PostHuntn, on September 20th 2007, 02:43 PM, said:

PC Games that don't behave on Dual Processor Computers (submitted by Clocknova 5/12/06)
Okay, here's the deal.  You've got yourself a shiny new Intel-powered iMac, Mac Mini, or MacBook Pro, and you're just dying to play some of those "PC games" you've been hearing so much about for so long.  And, if you're like me, you're particularly interested in stealthy, RPG shooters like Deus Ex: Invisible War and Thief.  Nothing wrong with that, right?  Well, not as such, no.  But there are some complications involved in playing these games (and probably a few others) that makes the situation a bit complicated.  It seems that many PC games, in this case specifically Thief 2 & 3 and Invisible War, do not run properly on dual-processor or dual-core systems.  The aforementioned games will usually install and launch just fine, but they tend to hang on the main menus or the intro movies.  So, what to do?

For the record, I can only speak to the value of this solution as a MacBook Pro owner.  I don't know for certain if this problem exists on iMacs or Mac Minis but, as they both use Intel CoreDuos, I image that they will share in the pain.  Please feel free to weigh in if you know for sure.
9/29 update It has been reported that this solution works on iMacs as well (submitted by Pegasus).

Now, here's what to do:
1. Download this file, called imagecfg
2. Unzip it to your Windows\system32\ as well as Windows\system32\dllcache\ (if you have that directory--I don't).
3. Make a backup copy of your games' exe files, as this process will alter them (I didn't bother, but you might want to).
4. Open notepad and enter the following (in a seperate file for each game you intend to patch, of course):

For Thief 2 :
imagecfg -u thief2.exe
imagecfg -u thief2.icd
imagecfg -a 0x1 thief2.exe
imagecfg -a 0x1 thief2.icd
pause

For Thief 3:
imagecfg -u T3Main.exe
imagecfg -a 0x1 T3Main.exe
pause

For Deus Ex: Invisible War:
imagecfg -u dx2.exe
imagecfg -a 0x1 dx2.exe
pause

5. Save the file as "processor.bat", including the quotes, in the same directory as the .exe file.
6. Double click the file processor.bat (must be in the same directory as the .exe it modifies). A bunch of text like this will appear:

D:\Games\Thief2]imagecfg -u thief2.exe
thief2.exe contains contains no configuration information
thief2.exe contains a Subsystem Version of 4.0
thief2.exe updated with the following configuration information:
Image can only run in uni-processor mode on multi-processor systems
Image can only run in uni-processor mode on multi-processor systems

7. Press a key when it tells you to then run the game. It is now permanently patched to ignore the second processor core. Don't forget how to do this in case you ever need to reinstall these games.

And that's all there is to it.  As far as I understand, there are a few other games that are affected by this: Grim Fandango and Unreal 2: The Awakening are two of them.  I can tell you that the above process will fix Unreal 2, but I don't know about any others.  You can read the original source of these instructions here.  Oh, and you can probably ignore the fact that the documentation for both T3 and IW claim that they do not support playing on laptops.  This problem is likely related specifically to multi-proc systems and not some mysterious "laptop detector" code which makes the games not run properly.  Wouldn't that be an interesting bit of programming?

Note: Titan Quest is dual core enabled.

Sweet just tried this with Deus Ex IW and works perfectly on my MBP :)

#22 Steve Ballmer

Steve Ballmer

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:55 AM

.... Get a REAL computer people.
The Secret Diary of Steve Ballmer - "I am not Steve Ballmer pretending not to be me"

#23 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:54 AM

I'll have you know that I no longer have to wind my Mac, this model and all models since have shipped with Apple proprietary software that autowinds for you.  I still keep the key on a string around my neck because it makes me look cool, but I haven't used it in years.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#24 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:39 PM

Thankfully tBC remembers to wind me once a week. The wait for technology to be invented to replace my internal fusion battery is grueling. It wouldn't bother me as much if he didn't use a giant engraved toybox key. I think he just likes the humiliation.

Kyle Reese sucks. This new timeline's pace of invention is dog slow.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#25 Laurensvo

Laurensvo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Steam ID:laurensvo

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:31 AM

Kyle Reese?

#26 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:44 AM

View PostLaurensvo, on 11 November 2017 - 09:31 AM, said:

Kyle Reese?

In The Terminator he was the army guy from the future who came back through time to bone his best friends's hot mom.  Plus some other stuff happened.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#27 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1554 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:44 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 11 November 2017 - 11:44 AM, said:

In The Terminator he was the army guy from the future who came back through time to bone his best friends's hot mom.  Plus some other stuff happened.

And she was...
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#28 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:42 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 13 November 2017 - 08:44 AM, said:

And she was...

Off topic, but since when did that stop me?

https://www.youtube....h?v=YgSVTdAtNYE

#29 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1554 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:03 PM

View PostTibur, on 13 November 2017 - 10:42 AM, said:

Off topic, but since when did that stop me?

https://www.youtube....h?v=YgSVTdAtNYE

I wondered if anyone would pick up on that. :)
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell