Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:51 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 15 January 2016 - 01:45 PM, said:

Read that article all the way. They backpedaled from the backpedaling.

backpedaling intensifies

(good catch, teaches me for not reading until the end)

Adobe is firmly committed to performance because it accelerates creativity - Adobe is also firmly committed to the Mac platform. We share as much as we can about the directions we’re exploring and will continue to try and set realistic expectations about when specific advancements will come to market. When we demonstrated what was possible with Apple’s Metal technology, we made a clear statement - which I repeat here: “Adobe is committed to bringing Metal to all of its Mac OS Creative Cloud applications, such as Illustrator and After Effects I showed you today, as well as Photoshop and Premiere Pro. We are very excited to see what Metal can do for our Creative Cloud users.

2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#22 jeannot

jeannot

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:44 AM

There seems to be some internal conflict inside Adobe, between engineers and managers, over Metal.
So far, only Blizzard has a Metal game under alpha testing (WoW Legion).
We heard about Unity at WWDC, but their roadmap only Mentions Metal in the distant ("uncertain") future. Certainly not before next year.
2K Games were mentioned, but we heard nothing from them about Metal, same for Feral (at least not officially. Brad doesn't sound very enthused by Metal).

OTOH, Vulkan isn't even released yet.

#23 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:46 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 15 January 2016 - 09:23 AM, said:

Fast forward to 2017 and assume that Vulkan has caught on with the majority of the gaming industry: new games are designed to utilize Vulkan, not DirectX.

I doubt this will happen, but even so... from your keyboard to God's gaming PC.

I don't think there could be anything better than having one great API for gaming on Windows, Mac, Linux, PS4, and Android.

View PostJanichsan, on 15 January 2016 - 01:45 PM, said:

Read that article all the way. They backpedaled from the backpedaling.

This is known in the Adobe PR department as "the best way forward."
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#24 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 07:56 PM

View PostFrost, on 16 January 2016 - 05:46 PM, said:

Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#25 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2040 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:11 AM

View PostFrost, on 16 January 2016 - 05:46 PM, said:

I doubt this will happen, but even so... from your keyboard to God's gaming PC.

I don't think there could be anything better than having one great API for gaming on Windows, Mac, Linux, PS4, and Android.

FWIW there are some great people within adobe like Karl Gibson (fighting the good fight for practical standardization) but they are stuck in the corporate quagmire that is Adobe. Microsoft is the same, though Nadella has been making a LOT of smart moves, focusing on strengths and creating more nimble teams that are more product driven and less bound by committee consensus.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: opengl, vulkan, osx.