macdude22's Content

There have been 108 items by macdude22 (Search limited from 15-December 17)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#449935 A Kickstarter Project Retrospective

Posted by macdude22 on 04 December 2018 - 08:11 PM in General

View PostJanichsan, on 04 December 2018 - 03:16 PM, said:

You'd be surprised how many games for original retro platforms are still being released. There's apparently a market.

Heck yes there is. I've got my IIgs decked out with solid state mass storage, multi channel sound card, and 8MB of RAM. I need all the hot new releases for 40 year old platforms.

#449915 Feral's upcoming project?

Posted by macdude22 on 04 December 2018 - 07:37 AM in General

Heck yes, Railroads is great.

#449913 Steam DB Watch

Posted by macdude22 on 03 December 2018 - 03:36 PM in General

They fired their competent mac developer a while back because they cost too much so thats kind of on zenimax that they can't implement it right.

#449910 Steam DB Watch

Posted by macdude22 on 03 December 2018 - 01:40 PM in General

Bethesda is using MoltenVK to provide metal support for ESO so it can't be that hard to do.

Spoiler: that was a jab at bethesda.

#449888 My "new" Xbox 360

Posted by macdude22 on 28 November 2018 - 10:49 AM in Off-Topic

View PostMatt Diamond, on 27 November 2018 - 09:57 PM, said:

Good suggestions. I'd forgotten about ME, though I fear that if I get started on RPGs, that'll be the last anyone hears from me for a few years. Maybe I should add Dragon Age: Inquisition while I'm at it?

My son suggested I try to find the remastered version of Tony Hawk 2 (supposedly 360 compatible). It was a sentimental favorite of ours, I helped beta the Mac version and we liked the music.

The 360 version of Inquisition was Grade A terrible but if it's your only option and you can get it cheap. Folks who paid full price for the 360 build at launch really got hosed though. It was designed for next gen systems but I think there was some pressure to complete the trilogy on PS3/360 even if it was a hot mess to get it running.

#449876 My "new" Xbox 360

Posted by macdude22 on 27 November 2018 - 08:46 AM in Off-Topic

Kingdoms of Amalur
Tales of Vesperia
Mass Effect 1-3
Forza Horizon

#449874 Virtual Programming's Upcoming Projects

Posted by macdude22 on 26 November 2018 - 05:11 PM in General

WINE and CodeWeavers do good work. WoWS plays better than any VP port I've ever played.

PaultheTall also does good work.

#449867 Virtual Programming's Upcoming Projects

Posted by macdude22 on 26 November 2018 - 10:54 AM in General

People complaining about WINE and WINE ports should look at VP ports. At least WINE works :lol:

#449836 Feral's upcoming project?

Posted by macdude22 on 18 November 2018 - 10:18 AM in General

Bring back Feral Legends!

#449835 Obsidian and inXile bought out by Microsoft

Posted by macdude22 on 18 November 2018 - 09:25 AM in General

WIndows, gross.

#449824 A Kickstarter Project Retrospective

Posted by macdude22 on 16 November 2018 - 10:02 AM in General

View PostJanichsan, on 16 November 2018 - 04:13 AM, said:

I got my physical good for Bard's Tale 4 this week, so I added picture. I haven't played the game yet, so no verdict on this at the moment.

I'm annoyed because the Mac Build isn't out. *shakes fist*

#449810 Obsidian and inXile bought out by Microsoft

Posted by macdude22 on 13 November 2018 - 09:06 AM in General

View PostJanichsan, on 11 November 2018 - 04:29 AM, said:

Did you enjoy Obsidian's and inXile's latest releases for the Mac, like Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2, Tyranny, Wasteland 2, and Torment: Tides of Numenera?

Well, no more.

Microsoft just bought both of these studios, and made pretty clear that anything coming from Obsidian or inXile in the future will be Microsoft, primarily Xbox, exclusives:

inXile at least explained that their already announced crowdfunded projects (i.e. Bard's Tale IV and Wasteland 3) will still be cross-platform releases.

sounds goodman, love my xbox.

#449788 The Next Apple Event

Posted by macdude22 on 03 November 2018 - 04:51 PM in Mac Hardware

Ya, I'm replacing my 2012 quad at work with the i7 model fo sure. Replacing my mini at home, not so sure.

Regarding SSD in external enclosure, out of the box with nothing running the Micron tests at 385 MB/s write and 365 MB/s read with Aja System Test 16GB test. Blackmagic tested almost identical.

I cloned my internal rust (1TB firecuda) to this 2TB Micron drive in a Mercury On-The-Go enclosure, booted to it, and did the following

kicked off several downloads in steam, gog, and origin.
forced spotlight reindex
kicked off copy of photo library from external rust to Micron Drive in MOTG.

We should have the CPU and disk I/O going pretty good at this point.

I then reran the Aja 16GB test

268 MB/s write and 265 MB/s read.

I know what you are saying. macdude22 how do you have USB 3 speeds on a 2011 mini. Well IMGsan I have a Sonnet Echo Thunderbolt Dock which has USB 3 so it has the effect of having USB 3 ports available on a 2011 mini. Given this thing is almost always CPU pegged these days I couldn't say if I'm hitting a CPU bottleneck with USB, if I am the performance can only go up from this baseline.

I would surmise I am hammering this drive harder than most average consumers would so I offer that a SATA SSD in a quality USB 3 enclosure would be more than sufficient as a boot drive for most. Given the nature of USB vs TB I would still use thunderbolt storage for any sort of professional endeavor but as discussed you can still get pretty fast storage performance at half the apple cost. An ESPN moving around 4k video probably would still benefit from the pricy but supreme internal storage options.

#449785 The Next Apple Event

Posted by macdude22 on 03 November 2018 - 08:12 AM in Mac Hardware

I will let you know how it goes. I have done the Home folder symlink dance and it's great until it's not great lol. I would prefer to be simple and keep my home folder on the boot volume (even if it's external USB). Use the 128GB onboard for scratch space or toss a few frequently used apps in there etc...

Even with UASP I think USB 3 will be constrained by random I/O and I/O queue depth. With heavy I/O I suspect a SATA drive capable of sustained 500 MB/s r/w would drop to 250-300. For the average mortal this is still fast and the average mortal probably wouldn't have I/O needs that drive down the performance of USB 3. If I was doing a lot of Photo, audio, video editing or development I would probably spring for something thunderbolt like the Envoy Pro EX

https://eshop.macsal...x-thunderbolt-3

Still half the price of Apple's offering, though it is half the speed. Exponentially faster than a SATA drive slaved to USB regardless.

I never thought I would see the day where we would say ehhhh well 1800MB/s is half as fast as that other thing. Honestly even a few years ago 2TB of 1800MB/s storage for under a grand would have sounded like science fiction.

I am still debating on if I want the i7 upgrade or not. The i3 is already SO much faster than my 2008 MacPro or 2011 Mini I doubt I'd know the difference. I think if it turns out the 8GB base memory comes on 1 stick as rumored I'll get the upgraded CPU since an upgrade to 16GB would only cost 1 8GB stick then.

#449779 The Next Apple Event

Posted by macdude22 on 02 November 2018 - 03:11 PM in Mac Hardware

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 02 November 2018 - 07:09 AM, said:

Interesting. So the base model might actually be sufficient for long term gaming, as long as one buys an eGPU, a screen, and potentially double the Minis price to get a 1TB SSD.. :P

Now we just need to see if it has thermal constraints under heavy prolonged CPU loads.

OWC had Micron 2TB SATA drives for 295. I nabbed one of those and an enclosure. I'm not ESPN so SATA ssd speeds will be fine for me.

#449772 War Thunder

Posted by macdude22 on 01 November 2018 - 10:18 AM in Mac Simulators

World of Warships 4 life

#449771 The Next Apple Event

Posted by macdude22 on 01 November 2018 - 10:12 AM in Mac Hardware

View PostMatt Diamond, on 31 October 2018 - 02:21 PM, said:

Question: if the Mini's internal SSD dies, how hosed would I be? With a Mac Pro you can start over with a brand new boot drive. I've had to do this twice over the years, plus a third time when I upgraded to SSD.

Repair would require MLB replacement. We have 2000 macintosh endpoints, I've done every repair you can think of. I've never had to do a repair because the onboard storage failed on any model with onboard storage.

Assuming ONLY the storage had failed you could continue to use an external Thunderbolt or USB drive, but I think a more likely repair scenario would be some other failure necessitating MLB replacement anyway.

View Postnick68k, on 01 November 2018 - 07:58 AM, said:

What benefits does the T2 bring to a desktop system btw?

From a practical home user perspective, hey siri.

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 01 November 2018 - 12:15 AM, said:

Thanks for setting my ramblings straight.

Now, the 6 core CPU in the Mini may be acceptable. But is it useable for a 5 year gaming streak, and therefore to work as an xMac if one gets an eGPU?

If you don't have PC Master race epeen problems probably fine. I still game fine on a 2012 MBP so CPUwise it's had a longer streak than 5 years.

Assuming the 6core is in fact the i7-8700 as speculated (we should see real world info very soon) I expect it has chops for 5 years of just about anything.

http://browser.geekb...v4/cpu/10577538

#449765 The Next Apple Event

Posted by macdude22 on 31 October 2018 - 11:34 AM in Mac Hardware

I hope OWC makes a Thunderbolt version of the Mini Stack, though to be fair USB 3 and SATA speeds are plenty for the average joe. I would like Envoy Pro EX performance in a stackable form factor.

Assuming apple follows through with this revision for a while they just made a really neat modular mac. It's plenty potent out of the box for any consumer but expandable for the prosumer or professional. I expect companies like Sonnet to come up with some innovative storage/GPU solutions (love my Echo 15)

#449764 The Next Apple Event

Posted by macdude22 on 31 October 2018 - 06:58 AM in Mac Hardware

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 31 October 2018 - 04:17 AM, said:

Yes, the T2 is also the SSD controller, so I am guessing that swapping SSDs - Which are on a proprietary connector anyway - is a complete no-go.

Storage on the new mini is soldered on, not a slot (proprietary or otherwise) so there's no replacing it. Macs with T2 hardware and removable storage can be swapped (iMac Pro), however the storage is encrypted with the hardware UID of the secure enclave. It cannot be decrypted without the T2 that encrypted it. If FileVault is turned on there is an additional user record required to unlock along with the hardware UID.

The real concern for the average person (or corporate shlub really) and T2 enabled Macs is to make damn sure there are backups. In the event of a hardware failure there's little to no opportunity for data recovery.

#449752 The Next Apple Event

Posted by macdude22 on 30 October 2018 - 01:19 PM in Mac Hardware

View PostFrost, on 30 October 2018 - 12:16 PM, said:

Yeah, as usual, Apple gouges you to DEATH on RAM and SSD. $1400 would buy you TWO professional-grade 2TB Intel 7600p nVME SSDs with enough left over for a pro app. I can understand markup, but 100% markup = jeez.

The pricing is fine. Dell charges 2k for 2TB of similar storage (2074.07 to be exact).

View PostAtticus, on 30 October 2018 - 09:39 AM, said:

Everything announced today is a fail, I hate Apple, Tim Cook needs to go, apple has abandoned the Mac, everything is too expensive, switching to Windows,  I haven't been this disappointed since my mom abandoned me when I was six, etc, etc.

GLHF

#449473 Answer questions for the Feral newsletter!

Posted by macdude22 on 23 July 2018 - 10:06 AM in General

View PostMatt Diamond, on 23 July 2018 - 07:45 AM, said:

So: the Mac gaming community I know best is made up of fellow old-timers who recognized that there was something special about Mac gaming, spent their precious time and money on it, and shared the ups and downs with me.

I'd like to meet this community, can you direct me to their location.

#449470 New 2018 MBPs released

Posted by macdude22 on 23 July 2018 - 08:45 AM in Mac Hardware

There's no point to have the CDM port. With the T2 controlling encryption, even if you did a bulk copy it wouldn’t get you anything but sudo random data without a way to extract the keys from the T2. The stupid thing is people that don't have backups.

This is not new, the iMac Pro is no different. T2=havesomebackupsyadolt

#449382 Civ VI released for iPads!

Posted by macdude22 on 02 July 2018 - 03:41 PM in iPhone/iTouch/iPad Gaming

Still playing this around the house. Plays exceptionally well by fingers or by stylus. I have a really nice pen/stylus that I got on amazon. Convenient for precision poking in Civ VI

https://www.amazon.c...ifti pen stylus

#449359 Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance released for Mac

Posted by macdude22 on 27 June 2018 - 09:16 AM in Mac Action & Shooters

Have to something when you sell all your technology assets to NVIDIA. But ya, transgaming was always smarmy. They basically stole all the good work codeweavers did on wine and provided nothing back but slick marketing.

apropos of nothing really but McDonalds are the kings of sketchy real estate deals.

https://qz.com/96577...estate-company/

#449307 What games are people playing these days!?

Posted by macdude22 on 12 June 2018 - 02:58 PM in General

This would have been v1 or maybe 2, I don't remember. It would have been fall/winter 95-96 when I played them the most and the inter web says 3.0 came out in 97.