macdude22's Content

There have been 135 items by macdude22 (Search limited from 23-October 17)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#449473 Answer questions for the Feral newsletter!

Posted by macdude22 on 23 July 2018 - 10:06 AM in General

View PostMatt Diamond, on 23 July 2018 - 07:45 AM, said:

So: the Mac gaming community I know best is made up of fellow old-timers who recognized that there was something special about Mac gaming, spent their precious time and money on it, and shared the ups and downs with me.

I'd like to meet this community, can you direct me to their location.

#449470 New 2018 MBPs released

Posted by macdude22 on 23 July 2018 - 08:45 AM in Mac Hardware

There's no point to have the CDM port. With the T2 controlling encryption, even if you did a bulk copy it wouldn’t get you anything but sudo random data without a way to extract the keys from the T2. The stupid thing is people that don't have backups.

This is not new, the iMac Pro is no different. T2=havesomebackupsyadolt

#449382 Civ VI released for iPads!

Posted by macdude22 on 02 July 2018 - 03:41 PM in iPhone/iTouch/iPad Gaming

Still playing this around the house. Plays exceptionally well by fingers or by stylus. I have a really nice pen/stylus that I got on amazon. Convenient for precision poking in Civ VI

https://www.amazon.c...ifti pen stylus

#449359 Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance released for Mac

Posted by macdude22 on 27 June 2018 - 09:16 AM in Mac Action & Shooters

Have to something when you sell all your technology assets to NVIDIA. But ya, transgaming was always smarmy. They basically stole all the good work codeweavers did on wine and provided nothing back but slick marketing.

apropos of nothing really but McDonalds are the kings of sketchy real estate deals.

https://qz.com/96577...estate-company/

#449307 What games are people playing these days!?

Posted by macdude22 on 12 June 2018 - 02:58 PM in General

This would have been v1 or maybe 2, I don't remember. It would have been fall/winter 95-96 when I played them the most and the inter web says 3.0 came out in 97.

#449304 What games are people playing these days!?

Posted by macdude22 on 12 June 2018 - 01:49 PM in General

I vaguely recall it looking worse than FA-18 Hornet but it playing a lot better when I was a kid. Played it a lot more than Hornet anyway.

#449303 MacOS 10.14 - Mojave

Posted by macdude22 on 12 June 2018 - 01:22 PM in Mac OS Related

View PostJanichsan, on 12 June 2018 - 11:36 AM, said:

[/color][/font]

And as I said before: removing OpenGL will break many non-game applications for which platform specific, proprietary graphics APIs are no alternative.

I am intimately aware of this fact. We have many folks doing work that relies on GPU acceleration, both locally and in our high performance GPU cluster. I don't expect the bulk of tools we are using to be updated to support Metal natively. It's more probably we will see increased investment in tools like MoltenGL to act as an intermediary layer between tools targeting OpenGL and the OS native metal tools.

#449300 MacOS 10.14 - Mojave

Posted by macdude22 on 12 June 2018 - 10:30 AM in Mac OS Related

"widely accepted, and adopted standard" doesn't mean we should still use it. VGA is widely accepted and adopted. It's kind of all been a slow downhill burn after SGI. Microsoft has DirectX and Apple has Metal. Kronos has been pushing Vulkan but there is basically 0 uptake. Apple killing off OpenGL they haven't updated for 3 years anyway is doing us a favor.

#449298 What games are people playing these days!?

Posted by macdude22 on 12 June 2018 - 06:54 AM in General

Chuck Yeager's Air Combat4life

#449277 GeForce NOW for Mac - Beta Invite

Posted by macdude22 on 06 June 2018 - 07:29 AM in Windows Gaming

The beta didn't require a CC so I can't imagine how they would bill for it without your input, should the day they start billing arrive.

Along with the app there are two small files located at

~/Library/Preferences/com.nvidia.crimson.agent.plist
~/Library/Caches.com.nvidia.crimson.agent

#449258 MacOS 10.14 - Mojave

Posted by macdude22 on 05 June 2018 - 11:56 AM in Mac OS Related

Remember OpenTransport. Deprecated in 10.4, everyone was happy to keep chugging along with it in deprecated status. 10.9 comes along and actually removes it. THE HORROR.

With Apple's recent update iterative update mantra I would not expect to get 5 OS updates out of newly deprecated frameworks.

#449248 MacOS 10.14 - Mojave

Posted by macdude22 on 04 June 2018 - 05:12 PM in Mac OS Related

the 10.14 SDK no longer supports compiling 32-bit applications. I would be pleasantly surprised if 10.15 doesn't plant the final nail. Apple has gotten quicker about moving from deprecation to complete removal of apis and frameworks. I would not be suprised if 10.15 doesn't also toss off OpenGL but I think realistically it will be 10.16. There are a lot of scientific applications that rely on OpenGL yet.

#449235 The Last Jedi [SPOILERS GALORE]

Posted by macdude22 on 04 June 2018 - 06:50 AM in Off-Topic

View PostTetsuya, on 03 June 2018 - 09:09 PM, said:

Basically my thoughts on the movie as well.  Its.. a movie.  You could have changed the names and made it into any other generic sci-fi movie.  Its not horrible, its not great.  

Star Wars isn't sci-fi.

#449230 The Last Jedi [SPOILERS GALORE]

Posted by macdude22 on 03 June 2018 - 01:52 PM in Off-Topic

Birdemic is :thumbsup:

#449226 Feral's upcoming project?

Posted by macdude22 on 03 June 2018 - 10:25 AM in General

Or ports of the older Final Fantasy Titles, III, VII, XI, etc.... They should run great on almost any mac.

#449208 Jeff Vogel announces new game: 'Queen's Wish: The Conqueror'

Posted by macdude22 on 30 May 2018 - 01:29 PM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

A lot of the graphics in the trailer appear to be Avernum placeholders but I wouldn't expect the engine and style to change drastically between now and release.

#449204 Jeff Vogel announces new game: 'Queen's Wish: The Conqueror'

Posted by macdude22 on 30 May 2018 - 11:49 AM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

I have a feeling he really wants to get it on the iPhone and the less isometric view point will work better with less screen real estate.

#449202 Introducing Speedcat (New Feral rep)

Posted by macdude22 on 30 May 2018 - 11:24 AM in Off-Topic

Witcher 3 would be nice to have the full trilogy available on Mac, even if the port of 2 was pretty sub par. Age of Empires II: HD Edition would be v nice and run on basically every thing.

#449197 Steam Link coming to iOS and tvOS

Posted by macdude22 on 30 May 2018 - 08:25 AM in General

Maybe this mass of people that want more doodles instead of less exists but I don't see them. I talk to people. A lot. My wife says I have a social disorder where I don't know not to talk to people. I have the luxury/horror of working at an organization where I am running into people with a lot of free time on their hands that need distracted by random conversation I am happy to provide. I just don't run into people that are clambering for more things like this. Not kids, not students, not adults with families. The overwhelming majority of consumers just plops down in front of turnkey device that is a console, or increasingly a mobile phone. Most people I run into have a cheap laptop or wal-mart special desktop. A somewhat increasing number of those folks may have a MacBook or iPad in lieu of the cheap laptop or walmart special.

All the kids are clambering to manage separate accounts for
Steam
Origin
Uplay
Battle.net

instead of just a Live or PSN account

PC gaming enthusiasts are like car enthusiasts. It's a small, energetic group. You can make any number of legitimate, concrete arguments about why it's "better" to do this that and the other. But at the end of the day it's a niche, and as much as of folks in those communities would imagine it's broader, it's not. They REALLY encourage in depth learning about their respective topics, but the majority may nod their head in agreement but don't care.

I'm glad folks are doing things folks like to do. I'm glad people are making money at it. The most fascinating thing to me from a socioeconomic perspective is the number of people that come to an Apple centric forum to preach the gospel of windows gaming.

#449196 Jeff Vogel announces new game: 'Queen's Wish: The Conqueror'

Posted by macdude22 on 30 May 2018 - 07:09 AM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

Never pirated any games but in for 75, I want that signed paper.

#449186 Steam Link coming to iOS and tvOS

Posted by macdude22 on 29 May 2018 - 02:49 PM in General

GeForce Now is technically impressive but still a very subpar experience to a local device. Nvidia is subsidizing it right now as they test and tweak it but if they price it as expected it's going to be DOA. If they offer a subscription ala Game Pass or EA Access it becomes a more palatable proposition.

#449184 Steam Link coming to iOS and tvOS

Posted by macdude22 on 29 May 2018 - 02:20 PM in General

I don't know a single adult with kids that cares about streaming games. There's a niche but it's not big. Big enough to justify some investment from Valve and Nvidia maybe, but its small potatoes. There's a select few folks here that are really passionate about streaming tech, and that's great but it's nowhere near mainstream and I don't see it becoming mainstream. Your average joe wants to plop down and play a tapper or Halo or Mario. Shield TVs and Steam Links are absolutely edge cases, I don't see those winds changing anytime soon.

#449154 Razer releases entry-level eGPU $299 eGPU enclosure with macOS support

Posted by macdude22 on 25 May 2018 - 02:24 PM in IMG News Discussion

Can confirm, keyboard deserves the class action. I process a minimum of 2 keyboard repairs a week on 2016/2017 MBPs (3 this week).

#449148 Steam Link coming to iOS and tvOS

Posted by macdude22 on 25 May 2018 - 06:56 AM in General

Do it. list em. I brought coffee.

Posted Image

#449147 Razer releases entry-level eGPU $299 eGPU enclosure with macOS support

Posted by macdude22 on 25 May 2018 - 06:41 AM in IMG News Discussion

According to everyone on this forum you are obligated to want a desktop PC ozzy and not space saving convenience. pls try again.