UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1434 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 06:24 PM

Square Enix blames OpenGL for Final Fantasy 14 Mac refunds

Posted Image

The various technical issues that have plagued the Mac version of Final Fantasy XIV have caused publisher Square Enix to pull the game from sale and offer refunds.
In a post over on the Square Enix forums, Producer and Director Naoki Yoshida apologised for the game's poor performance on Mac, citing "insufficient communication of system requirements," and a "premature release," with the game going on sale before all its bugs were fixed.
"While the development and operations teams, as well as our entire company, were involved in this mistake, it was I who ultimately made the decision to release the Mac version under these circumstances and therefore bear sole responsibility, and I sincerely apologise to you all," wrote Yoshida.

[Continued...]

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Square-Enix page
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#2 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Steam Name:Ian
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 10 July 2015 - 11:21 PM

Makes a Wine port.

Blames OpenGL.

Okay.

EDIT: "the prevailing opinion is that the majority of Mac users aren’t interested in games."

I'm getting so sick of this argument. Find a new straw man.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8087 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:31 AM

So, their train of thought was:

"OpenGL is too slow for our game.

The Mac market is too small anyway.

Let's use a middleware that makes the game even slower, and lets it run on only a minimal subset of the already small market base.

And while we're at it, let's sell this Mac version separately, so that our shafted customers can't even resort to play the game under Bootcamp."

Yeah, that's some sound logic

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#4 Spike

Spike

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 02:35 AM

!!!

#5 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1434 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:42 PM

Alright, perusing GMG's Mac collection for deals I ran into FINAL FANTASY® XIV ONLINE: HEAVENSWARD for Mac and am wondering; is this the same thing? Does it still suck? I'll be meandering through YouTube...
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#6 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2039 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 October 2016 - 02:47 PM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 21 October 2016 - 01:42 PM, said:

Alright, perusing GMG's Mac collection for deals I ran into FINAL FANTASY® XIV ONLINE: HEAVENSWARD for Mac and am wondering; is this the same thing? Does it still suck? I'll be meandering through YouTube...

I vaguely remember reading that they had rereleased the Mac Client and it played better. I actually have a copy of Final Fantasy XIV but in some insane twist of fate owning a PC license does not seem to grant you access to the Mac client. For an MMO. When the same company did the mac port. I'd love to reup for a month just to see how it runs but I'm not rebuying a game I'm not interested in playing just to see how it runs.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#7 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2039 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 03:28 PM

Like who does this with an MMO. You have access to the Windows client but not the Mac client. Nobody. Literally nobody. This is unheard of in the industry.

Attached Files

IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#8 AspyrRyan

AspyrRyan

Aspyr

• Developer
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:25 AM

And that's why I sit in a room full of Macs and play on a PC at lunch.

#9 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2039 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:33 AM

View PostAspyrRyan, on 25 October 2016 - 08:25 AM, said:

And that's why I sit in a room full of Macs and play on a PC at lunch.

Not sure if i should

Posted Image

or

Posted Image

#10 G_Player

G_Player

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:54 PM

Why is FINAL fantasy if it's up to number 14?!?! Final is… you know… FINAL!
​This is THE final fantasy!…  Da end.  **turns off the lights on the way out**
My computer often beats me in Strip Poker but doesn't stand a chance against my kick-boxing!

#11 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1434 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 03:36 PM

**turns lights back on**

…half the name is also "fantasy," soooo…

#12 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:34 PM

There is a story that goes with the name and I believe you can learn about it on wikipedia. I am pretty sure that is where I read it. I forget what I read though. It was something about success not being expected with the first one so it being Final or something or maybe it was somebody else took the original name they wanted or both or... told you I forget but I am pretty sure wikipedia knows and certainly google does. I'd look it up but I am lazy and don't need to know I guess. I hope that is why I forgot.

What were we talking about?

View PostUmarOMC1, on 08 July 2017 - 03:36 PM, said:

**turns lights back on**

That was a good one. You made me laugh out loud. :)
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: final fantasy, final, fantasy, mmorpg, square, enix, opengl