8 replies to this topic

#1 jos

jos

Forum Member of the Month

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 08:14 AM

I've often seen posts from other people that don't show apostrophes correctly. I've never had any problems with my apostrophes and never knew what causes this problem. Normally I always post here from my Mac. However, yesterday I posted from my iPhone for the first time and guess what? Today I noticed my post from yesterday didn't show apostrophes correctly. So, that's where the problematic posts come from. I've just edited my original post from yesterday to improve readability. Then I'll reply to this thread from my iPhone using apostrophes and double quote-marks to show off the problem. Maybe there are other devices causing problems, like Android, Windows or Chromebook. If people have these devices they can maybe post in this thread and let us know what device, operating system and browser they're using to help Frigidman (or whoever is responsible for these kind of things) find the source of this problem.

This is a post I’ve made from my iPhone Xs using Safari.

Let’s post a quote by Steve Jobs, to see how double quote-marks are displayed when posting from an iPhone.

Steve Jobs said: “One more thing...”

Oops, I accidentally edited my original post from my iPhone, instead of adding a new post. Anyway, the first half of the post was made on a Mac and doesn't show any problems. Then I added the three lines at the bottom from my iPhone and they don't show apostrophes or double quote-marks correctly.

Hmmm, my last post was also added to my original post. Apparently this forum merges posts automatically when posting several posts within a very short period of time. Well, the problem is visible, so whatever.

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 08 March 2020 - 11:00 AM

Yes, it's really annoying. Started happening last year, iirc. iOS only.

Pro tip: To quickly fix it, tap edit. Don't actually edit anything, just save. The apostrophes will be fixed.

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8733 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 08 March 2020 - 11:43 AM

I think the problem is that iOS by default uses typographical quotes (‘’ “”), in comparison to the straight quotes (" ') you normally use on computer keyboards.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#4 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4508 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 March 2020 - 12:16 PM

Correct, the 'fancy quotes' don't work on this forum because it doesn't properly understand various bits of utf-8/utf-16 encoded characters. It just gets messed up.

The only way to fix it, would be to update the forums. But tuncer isn't going to pay for that. And even if he did, the whole server would need an update as well into php7 realm... and he isn't going to pay for that either.

So, have to accept the crappy charset issues as is. I'm sorry.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#5 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 03:38 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 08 March 2020 - 12:16 PM, said:

The only way to fix it, would be to update the forums. But tuncer isn't going to pay for that. And even if he did, the whole server would need an update as well into php7 realm... and he isn't going to pay for that either.

How much would it cost? What if we all chipped in?

View PostJanichsan, on 08 March 2020 - 11:43 AM, said:

I think the problem is that iOS by default uses typographical quotes (‘’ “”), in comparison to the straight quotes (" ') you normally use on computer keyboards.

This is a recent problem, though. Hasn't iOS always done that? It seems to work fine on my old phone with iOS 12.

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8733 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 09 March 2020 - 12:01 PM

View PostCougar, on 08 March 2020 - 03:38 PM, said:

This is a recent problem, though. Hasn't iOS always done that? It seems to work fine on my old phone with iOS 12.
I had this problem for much longer. In my experience, it sometimes happens that the auto-correct setting in iOS sometimes change on upgrades without me doing anything. It could be that third-party keyboards also make a difference, as my issues on iOS seem to have vanished since using SwiftKey – I have no empirical data, though.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#7 jos

jos

Forum Member of the Month

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 09:47 AM

Okay, thanks for the information. At least we know we can't fix it by just entering a few lines of PHP-code.

#8 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 10:42 AM

"Test"

#9 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 11:21 AM

View PostCougar, on 10 March 2020 - 10:42 AM, said:

"Test"

Whoops. Never deleted this.

In any case, I discovered that I have the same autocorrect settings in my old phone and new one, and turning smart quotes off is not a solution. I don't understand what the difference could be if it isn't iOS 13.