Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6220 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 February 2021 - 10:17 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 02 February 2021 - 09:38 PM, said:

I thought that was MacAddict ? I have some of those still in a box somewhere...

Nope, this was another one that pre-dated MacAddict by a year or two, called MacAction. They were 100% Mac gaming, not general Mac with a side of gaming like MacAddict. I could be misremembering but I'm pretty sure they were UK-based and then spread to the US. Ceased publication sometime in either the 1990s or early 2000s I think. I always remember them because that was how I first found out about Marathon 2, they had a cover story at the time that I saw on the newsstand.

I think it was supposed to be a Mac sister publication to the now-defunct PC Action, although I'm not sure if it was the same publisher or not.

I remember my first issue as a subscriber in '95, the feature was ParSoft's A-10 Attack! and I think they had a demo on the CD as well.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 3.7 GHz i9 10900K / 32GB RAM / 2x2TB Intel 7600p (RAID0), 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN V 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#22 nick68k

nick68k

Enigmatic

• IMG Writers
  • 576 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 11:39 PM

View PostFrost, on 02 February 2021 - 08:13 PM, said:

Remember that Brit Mac gaming magazine Mac Action that was around for a while? I think they started showing up on US shelves around the time Marathon 2 dropped. They always included killer demos on their CDs. I bought so much stuff because of those CDs.

Wow...yeah, there's a (short-lived) blast from the past. As a (displaced) Brit I do have vague memories of it. And, hey, it still has a website. Best viewed with Netscape 1.2 or better.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#23 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4458 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 03 February 2021 - 08:48 AM

View Postnick68k, on 02 February 2021 - 11:39 PM, said:

And, hey, it still has a website. Best viewed with Netscape 1.2 or better.

Holy horrible background batman! It truly is a web1.0 site!

I love the "Get netscape now" promo ...... aahhh the days of picking sides against nutscrape and exploder.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#24 nick68k

nick68k

Enigmatic

• IMG Writers
  • 576 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 10:14 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 03 February 2021 - 08:48 AM, said:

I love the "Get netscape now" promo ...... aahhh the days of picking sides against nutscrape and exploder.

The super cute thing is that the link is still active. ("Welcome to the Mosiac Communications Universe")

Getting back to the main thread, sort of, about 90s Mac games, I also remember some really weird/cool stuff like Heavy Metal:FAKK2, Giants and No One Lives Forever. Dig those 3DFx cards out.

#25 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3174 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 11:16 AM

View Postnick68k, on 03 February 2021 - 10:14 AM, said:

Getting back to the main thread, sort of, about 90s Mac games, I also remember some really weird/cool stuff like Heavy Metal:FAKK2, Giants and No One Lives Forever. Dig those 3DFx cards out.

Good stuff. I keep remembering others like the two Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force games. They were much better than they had any right to be. Multiplayer was a hoot.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#26 ozzy

ozzy

Who?

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 03 February 2021 - 11:48 AM

Man, Myth, Myth II, Deus Ex, Unreal - brings back some memories. Loved my Voodoo 2 card!

#27 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4458 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 03 February 2021 - 01:25 PM

View Postnick68k, on 03 February 2021 - 10:14 AM, said:

Heh! I played all of those :D Less not forget MDK in that odd batch.

Giants Kabuto was HILARIOUS (as I recall... I won't relive it as then my memories of it would be shattered and ruined).

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#28 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Colonel Chaos

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2283 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 03:43 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 28 January 2021 - 11:20 AM, said:

You heard me.  Unshut yo mouf. Do it do it do it do it do it!

It's like a morgue in here.

You're not my boss!  You're not my REAL Dad!  You can't tell me what to do!

#29 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 03 February 2021 - 03:46 PM

Looks like I omitted a LOT of games. I would give beens to you all but looks like I am over some kind of daily quota.
Good memories growing up with a Macintosh :-)

Escape Velocity 4EVER! :-D

#30 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2381 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 03 February 2021 - 03:50 PM

View PostMichalM.Mac, on 03 February 2021 - 03:46 PM, said:

Escape Velocity 4EVER! :-D

The spiritual remake seems to be coming along ok.

https://www.kickstar...e/posts/3088953
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
ChonkOpad (iPad Pro 8,9): A12Z @ 2.49ghz || 6GB RAM || 256GB

#31 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Colonel Chaos

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2283 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 04:25 PM

View Postnick68k, on 29 January 2021 - 12:15 PM, said:

*blows the dust off the forum*

I'm still playing WoW's 'Shadowlands' expansion. I don't actually like it that much, so I guess it's a case of Stockholm syndrome for the most part. And frankly, I usually pick up a game or two from GoG on a monthly basis after an idle browse, but - whisper it - most of them aren't very good, and I rapidly forget about them. Maybe I'm just old (well, no 'maybe' about that) and I've become a gamer who doesn't actually like games now? (I'm also still mad that Beamdog like patching and breaking their 'Enhanced Edition' D&D games, but are _really bad_ at fixing them).

*sadface*

Are those just the Mac versions?  Ive had zero issues with the EE games on Windows.

View PostFrost, on 02 February 2021 - 08:13 PM, said:

Remember that Brit Mac gaming magazine Mac Action that was around for a while? I think they started showing up on US shelves around the time Marathon 2 dropped. They always included killer demos on their CDs. I bought so much stuff because of those CDs.

I dont specifically remember this magazine but i remember buying magazines to get the demo discs because it was what i could afford (i was in High School in the 90s).  

I remember going into EggHead to buy Spectre VR, and finding out that it came with a copy of Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash (you should read it if you havent) in the box.

#32 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1892 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 03 February 2021 - 04:38 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 03 February 2021 - 04:25 PM, said:

I remember going into EggHead to buy Spectre VR, and finding out that it came with a copy of Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash (you should read it if you havent) in the box.

Haha, that's awesome. Back when I was a grad student, I taught this book, and realized had to give a quick crash-course on late 80s/early 90s tech (even though I was ~5 at the time) to give students some perspective on when the book was written.

#33 nick68k

nick68k

Enigmatic

• IMG Writers
  • 576 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 09:09 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 03 February 2021 - 04:25 PM, said:

Are those just the Mac versions?  Ive had zero issues with the EE games on Windows.

I can't speak for the Windows versions, but there's an annoying UI bug with IWD:EE if you're using a trackpad-equipped Mac. It's been in the game since 2018 and I've reported it various times, but no word of a fix yet.

Essentially if you're scrolling through a list of items with your trackpad in, say, a store inventory, the list snaps to (and selects) the final item when you release the pad. It's problematic. There was also a far more egregious trackpad bug in an earlier version of the game where the mouse pointer was interacting with items several inches distant from it on the screen (I've never seen a problem that like before). That one took several months to fix.

NWN:EE is a different kettle of fish. It's not bugged, but the performance of the game has suffered drastically in recent versions on my 2020 MBA. I guess the development environment has changed, and the fan gets a serious workout after a couple of minutes playtime. This is a game that worked perfectly well on a 300 MHz G3 system 15-odd years ago.

#34 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Colonel Chaos

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2283 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 02:25 PM

View Postnick68k, on 03 February 2021 - 09:09 PM, said:

I can't speak for the Windows versions, but there's an annoying UI bug with IWD:EE if you're using a trackpad-equipped Mac. It's been in the game since 2018 and I've reported it various times, but no word of a fix yet.

Essentially if you're scrolling through a list of items with your trackpad in, say, a store inventory, the list snaps to (and selects) the final item when you release the pad. It's problematic. There was also a far more egregious trackpad bug in an earlier version of the game where the mouse pointer was interacting with items several inches distant from it on the screen (I've never seen a problem that like before). That one took several months to fix.

Oooh.  Trackpad issues.  Yeah, i have no idea.  Id never use a trackpad for gaming.  Those may exist on the Windows versions as well.  

NWN:EE is a different kettle of fish. It's not bugged, but the performance of the game has suffered drastically in recent versions on my 2020 MBA. I guess the development environment has changed, and the fan gets a serious workout after a couple of minutes playtime. This is a game that worked perfectly well on a 300 MHz G3 system 15-odd years ago.

This has something to do with how they "fixed" it to work on Win 10, i imagine.  Id bet that instead of going back and simply updating the Mac version (which never actually got an Intel binary IIRC and had to run under Rosetta 1) they simply ported their updated Win 10 client to MacOS in the easiest way possible, so it likely has nothing in common with the (original) Mac client.  

I know that on Win 10, it had all sorts of performance issues (it would run too fast, crash on AMD GPUs just because, etc, without apparent rhyme or reason as to system config - worked fine for some people, not others) so they actually had to introduce some artificial slowdown into it or something.  

I play(ed) on a NWN Persisten World server (Thain.org) for a long time, the guys there might know more; theyre very knowledgeable about the hows and whys.

#35 nick68k

nick68k

Enigmatic

• IMG Writers
  • 576 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 11:35 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 05 February 2021 - 02:25 PM, said:

Oooh.  Trackpad issues.  Yeah, i have no idea.  Id never use a trackpad for gaming.  Those may exist on the Windows versions as well.  

My impression is that BeamDog's dev team is very small, slow to push new builds, but when they do, they aren't tested thoroughly. Now, fair's fair, even the Enhanced Editions are old games now and the team are under no obligation to continue development, but I wish they'd be more responsive to bug reports.