34 replies to this topic

#1 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17728 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 January 2021 - 11:20 AM

You heard me.  Unshut yo mouf. Do it do it do it do it do it!

It's like a morgue in here.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#2 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 28 January 2021 - 01:06 PM

It is hard to discuss Mac gaming when there is hardly any new titles coming. I follow Mac gaming scene for past 15 years or so but never has it been so bad :-/

Anyone playing SW: Squadrons on the WIndows side? I would love to have some wingmans :-)

#3 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3478 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 28 January 2021 - 02:20 PM

My lawyer has advised me to plead the 5th in order to avoid self incrimination.
2019 16" MBP: i7 9750H @ 2.6 GHz || Radeon 5500M 4GB || 16 GB DDR4 || 512 GB SSD || macOS Catalina
Desktop PC: R5 3600X || RTX 2080 || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB 970 EvoPlus + 1TB Seagate FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: 30TB Plex Server || PS4 Pro || iPhone X

#4 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4532 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 28 January 2021 - 02:57 PM

Lets discuss GME instead. Who rode some rockets today?
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#5 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3478 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 04:33 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 28 January 2021 - 02:57 PM, said:

I rode some rockets crashing down today (-40% for the day on my meme portfolio - which is 100% $BB). Hopefully tomorrow and later this week brings some better results.
2019 16" MBP: i7 9750H @ 2.6 GHz || Radeon 5500M 4GB || 16 GB DDR4 || 512 GB SSD || macOS Catalina
Desktop PC: R5 3600X || RTX 2080 || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB 970 EvoPlus + 1TB Seagate FireCuda || Win10 Pro

#6 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1894 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 29 January 2021 - 12:15 AM

View PostMichalM.Mac, on 28 January 2021 - 01:06 PM, said:

Anyone playing SW: Squadrons on the WIndows side? I would love to have some wingmans :-)

I have it but I am too scared to venture into multiplayer yet. It's my first HOTAS game and I'm not very good.... I also got a VR headset recently and I want to try it with that, as well, but I think it would make the game even harder since you can't see your HOTAS in your headset...

#7 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4458 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 29 January 2021 - 07:29 AM

Even the slew of 'hidden object games' has come to a crawl. MGS has had the worst new releases list for MONTHS.

Its all gone to crappy thumb-mashers on the App Store for Idiots... anything big or even mildly quality-casual, seems to have dried up or gone away.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#8 jos

jos

Forum Member of the Month

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 07:54 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 28 January 2021 - 11:20 AM, said:

You heard me.  Unshut yo mouf. Do it do it do it do it do it!

It's like a morgue in here.

All of this silence is part of our plan. We're just showing you what an incredibly small amount of data is being used by the users of this forum, so attachments can be turned on for us regular users.

It is hard to discuss Mac gaming when there is hardly any new titles coming. I follow Mac gaming scene for past 15 years or so but never has it been so bad :-/

Exactly. What's here to discuss when nothing is happening in the area which our forum is all about?

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 28 January 2021 - 02:57 PM, said:

Every day I thought: "Wow, look how much it's gone up! This has to be maximum. I can't imagine it going even higher." Of course, I didn't want to take the risk of putting thousands of Dollars in it and then losing it all. So, I earned just about 100 Dollar.

How I wished I had a DeLorean. Just like Biff went to 2015 to get the Sports Almanac, I would've gone to the end of 2021 to look up when GME would peak.

#9 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3175 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 10:20 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 29 January 2021 - 07:29 AM, said:

Even the slew of 'hidden object games' has come to a crawl. MGS has had the worst new releases list for MONTHS.

Its all gone to crappy thumb-mashers on the App Store for Idiots... anything big or even mildly quality-casual, seems to have dried up or gone away.

OTOH I have been pleasantly surprised to discover some Mac releases this year, but the Mac support is often easy to miss.
For example I just learned about Hades - from Supergiant (Bastion, Transistor).

Another example: Superliminal came out in Nov 2019 for PC, and 2020 for consoles. It also runs on Mac, but I can't find a single press release or article telling me if that support was at launch or added later. Which is probably why the Mac version isn't even mentioned on Wikipedia. (I just added it, had to guess that the Mac version was present at launch).

Sadly, I only learned about some games thanks to my daughter. She tells me about a PC game she thinks I'd like, and I check to see if there's a Mac version. Sadly she is about to move to college so my source is going to dry up

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#10 ehuelga

ehuelga

Pixel Pushers, Local 69

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Steam Name:El Spud

Posted 29 January 2021 - 11:38 AM

Gen X old fart here. My Mac gaming bonafides go back to ChopLifter on an Apple ][. Relaxed with a little Borderlands 2 last night. I've got my 10-year-old son into Portal, and he likes wandering around the free-roam in FireWatch (we live near spectacular hiking, but it's not Olly Moss spectacular). Hard to get my teenage daughter away from TikTok. She played Among Us for a bit, but I think mostly for the memes… I try to use the word "sus" every day just to see how far back her eyes can roll.
The commute from Mill Valley to Cupertino is a real bitch.

#11 nick68k

nick68k

Enigmatic

• IMG Writers
  • 577 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 12:15 PM

*blows the dust off the forum*

I'm still playing WoW's 'Shadowlands' expansion. I don't actually like it that much, so I guess it's a case of Stockholm syndrome for the most part. And frankly, I usually pick up a game or two from GoG on a monthly basis after an idle browse, but - whisper it - most of them aren't very good, and I rapidly forget about them. Maybe I'm just old (well, no 'maybe' about that) and I've become a gamer who doesn't actually like games now? (I'm also still mad that Beamdog like patching and breaking their 'Enhanced Edition' D&D games, but are _really bad_ at fixing them).

*sadface*
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#12 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Gaming way too long

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 04:11 AM

I follow Mac gaming scene for past 15 years or so but never has it been so bad :-/
Pffft! I was a Mac Gamer during the '90s! There might be a little dearth now but there are still a lot of good games available…although nothing I'm playing now is available for macOS.
macOS 10.15.x/3.5GHZ 8-Core Xeon W-3223 2019 MacPro/48GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil 5700XT

macOS 10.15.x/Manjario KDE/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

macOS 10.14.x/3.33GHz Xeon W3580 cMacPro (5,1 flash)/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil RX580

#13 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3478 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 08:13 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 29 January 2021 - 10:20 AM, said:

OTOH I have been pleasantly surprised to discover some Mac releases this year, but the Mac support is often easy to miss.
For example I just learned about Hades - from Supergiant (Bastion, Transistor).

Hades is an incredible game. I encourage everyone to try it out if they have time. It runs on basically every computer and is cheap (around $15 I think)

#14 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3175 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 02:44 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 31 January 2021 - 08:13 AM, said:

It runs on basically every computer and is cheap (around $15 I think)
I'm seeing $25 at the moment.. But what the hey, game developers gotta eat!

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#15 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 02 February 2021 - 04:18 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 30 January 2021 - 04:11 AM, said:

Pffft! I was a Mac Gamer during the '90s! There might be a little dearth now but there are still a lot of good games available…although nothing I'm playing now is available for macOS.
So was I. Late 90s were actually quite good.

From top of my head: Wolfenstein, Doom, Marathons, Duke Nukem, Master of Orion 2, Civlization 2, Quakes, Diablo, Descent, Command & Conquer, Myth, SW: Dark Forces (superior to PC version), Fallout, Total Annihilation, Postal, Alone in the Dark, Warcraft 2, Starcraft, Rainbox Six, Unreal...

+ some ports arriving later in 2000-2003

There were many games we did not get: Dark Forces 2, Half Life, Thief,...

#16 nick68k

nick68k

Enigmatic

• IMG Writers
  • 577 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 10:44 AM

View PostMichalM.Mac, on 02 February 2021 - 04:18 AM, said:

From top of my head: Wolfenstein, Doom, Marathons, Duke Nukem, Master of Orion 2, Civlization 2, Quakes, Diablo, Descent, Command & Conquer, Myth, SW: Dark Forces (superior to PC version), Fallout, Total Annihilation, Postal, Alone in the Dark, Warcraft 2, Starcraft, Rainbox Six, Unreal...

Thinking back, I really miss Myth. Great game. We also had Tomb Raider, the Baldur's Gate series, Icewind Dale, and, on the indy side, Jeff Vogel's terrific 'Exile' series. Oh, and Age of Empires (- not from a small, indy developer).
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#17 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3175 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 06:02 PM

View Postnick68k, on 02 February 2021 - 10:44 AM, said:

Thinking back, I really miss Myth. Great game. We also had Tomb Raider, the Baldur's Gate series, Icewind Dale, and, on the indy side, Jeff Vogel's terrific 'Exile' series. Oh, and Age of Empires (- not from a small, indy developer).
Really disappointed we didn't get the recent AoE2 remaster.
Westlake, Aspyr, MacSoft, and MacPlay were putting out a decent lineup of ports. I sank many hours into Tony Hawk 2 and 3 for example.

Amazingly, I just discovered that GameRanger is still around, and it supports a huge number of PC games now. Very few cross-platform titles, and most of the Mac games it supports don't actually run on OS X any more. Weird.

www.mindthecube.com

#18 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6220 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 02 February 2021 - 08:13 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 28 January 2021 - 02:20 PM, said:

My lawyer has advised me to plead the 5th in order to avoid self incrimination.

The user agreement has just been updated by Administrative Order to include acceptance of summary execution for using IMG Forum posts against members in either criminal or civil matters. Moderators have been empowered to enforce this action.

Users may now speak freely.

1994 through like 2006 was the Golden Age of Mac Gaming for me. So much good stuff to play that my limiting factor was more often "is my Mac fast enough to run it" rather than "can it be run on Mac."

Remember that Brit Mac gaming magazine Mac Action that was around for a while? I think they started showing up on US shelves around the time Marathon 2 dropped. They always included killer demos on their CDs. I bought so much stuff because of those CDs.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 3.5 GHz i9 11900K / 32GB RAM / TITAN V 12GB / 2TB Intel 7600p, 4TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / GeForce GT 650M 1GB / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#19 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2381 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 02 February 2021 - 08:15 PM

90s was the golden age. All the Adventure games a kid could eat and they looked twice as nice as their garbage 320x240 resolution DOS counterparts.

Attached Files

IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
ChonkOpad (iPad Pro 8,9): A12Z @ 2.49ghz || 6GB RAM || 256GB

#20 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4458 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 02 February 2021 - 09:38 PM

View PostFrost, on 02 February 2021 - 08:13 PM, said:

Remember that Brit Mac gaming magazine Mac Action that was around for a while? I think they started showing up on US shelves around the time Marathon 2 dropped. They always included killer demos on their CDs. I bought so much stuff because of those CDs.

I thought that was MacAddict ? I have some of those still in a box somewhere...

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester