31 replies to this topic

#1 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:52 PM

....off we go! Apple is doomed, worse presentation ever, Cue is a slob, WTF iPhone lineup is now confusing and ridiculous, Steve Jobs would've never done any of this, iPhone X is crap ($1,000 WTF??), new Apple Watch is crap (who cares about LTE?), new AppleTV is crap (4K...meh), everything is crap, Apple stock has dropped 110% in the last five minutes, iOS 11 is crap, WatchOS 4 is crap, High Sierra is crap, AR is crap, animojis are crap, AirPower is crap and so is name, Qi is crap, A11 Bionic is crap, FaceID is crap, crap, crap, crap, suck, crap, suck.

Crap.
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17344 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:16 PM

The fertilizer futures market has never looked so rosy.  Buy now and get in on the ground floor.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:29 PM

More of less what was expected (wasn't expecting there to be any Mac related announcements - but High Sierra ETA has since been confirmed as 25th).

iPhone tech is all very nice but nothing must have for me, whilst I'm in the minority, I still find the newer iPhones too big now (I can't use them one handed and the 6 onwards feel like a bar of soap and more slippy in my hand. I'm not a phone addict like many people are these days and will always prefer to use my Mac or iPad for most things unless travelling. Happy with my SE for size, weight, and performance - if there are still enough of us out there maybe there will be something to follow it but no rush yet.

AppleTV does sound nice and I will probably move on from my version 3 at some point (will need an adaptor to optical for my 5.1 speakers) which I do use a little for music, the odd movie, purchased TV shows, YouTube etc. but as much as I'd like to cut the cord so to speak I still need my Sky box to record Formula 1 for the sessions I can't watch live and happen when I'm at work or asleep and can't see that coming to AppleTV, and these days even getting that without being forced into a bundle and paying far more each month for sports I don't want would be difficult. Good that 4K content will be same pricing and old purchases get a free update - one day I'll get a 4K TV and/or projector (they are still very pricey) but most content is 1080p or less and might be a while before it is the other way around.

Interested in trying out iOS 11 and High Sierra soon and waiting on news of an expandable Mac Pro and where it falls in the range i.e will us hobbyists be able to own one or is iMac Pro and beyond prices only ...
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, GTX680 4GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#4 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8060 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:49 PM

View Postmattw, on 12 September 2017 - 02:29 PM, said:

iPhone tech is all very nice but nothing must have for me, whilst I'm in the minority, I still find the newer iPhones too big now (I can't use them one handed and the 6 onwards feel like a bar of soap and more slippy in my hand. I'm not a phone addict like many people are these days and will always prefer to use my Mac or iPad for most things unless travelling. Happy with my SE for size, weight, and performance - if there are still enough of us out there maybe there will be something to follow it but no rush yet.
Quoted for truth.

I guess the recent leaks didn't help, but the iPhone X didn't really blow me away: the notch is simply ugly, the gestures to replace the removed home button just seem unintuitive, and I still don't believe that FaceID is really more secure, reliable, and convenient than TouchID.

The Apple TV 4K looks interesting, but it's pretty much useless in Germany due to a lack of supported content.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#5 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2240 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:55 PM

Putting hardware aside, I for one wasn't expecting thatgamecompany to make a iOS game. I thought they would continue making games on sonys consoles.

Aside from the Sky looking a lot like cloud 2.0(if you guys experience playing that on windows ages ago like I have), I thought based on highlights of the conference that it sounds underwhelming.
What is a man?

#6 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1345 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:29 PM

View PostIchigo27, on 12 September 2017 - 02:55 PM, said:

Aside from the Sky looking a lot like cloud 2.0(if you guys experience playing that on windows ages ago like I have), I thought based on highlights of the conference that it sounds underwhelming.

They went independent after Journey (they had a three-game contract) but iOS first was surprising.

Hope it comes to steam. Doesn't look like a game that's designed or would be best with touch controls.

I'll upgrade to the X when the price isn't so insane. (But really, I hope they figure out that we don't want our videos obscured by the notch--what is up with that?! Edit: they’re not—the marketing videos are just zoomed in.) I feel like with the 6 iPhones finally matured, and there's nothing that I absolutely need. I have TouchID, I have Retina, I can run all the apps (except for AR, but who cares--that AR demo was AWFUL!) 3D Touch is a gimmick.

Honestly, the price of the AppleTV was more baffling than the X. It's $30 less than an XBOX One S on sale or refurbished, which can play 4K Blurays and real games. And they didn't fix the popsnizzlety remote. But I'm surprised that they managed to convince Hollywood to include 4K at the same price, with free upgrades. As goofy as Eddy Cue is he's got that job for a reason.

#7 Spike

Spike

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:33 PM

View Postmattw, on 12 September 2017 - 02:29 PM, said:

Also quoted for truth.

The iPhone choice of too big or way too big doesnt appeal to me as I just cannot lug around a huge phone all the time. My iPhone 4S is the perfect size and is mobile. Apple doesnt get bezel-less in that the reason it is so great is it can make the phone smaller, but Apple screwed that up. Having that notch for Face ID, I would rather go without Face ID. I dont care for any of the other stuff except the A11 processor.

I also dont care for cellular on Apple Watch, would much rather have thinner or longer battery life.

#8 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1345 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:55 PM

View PostSpike, on 12 September 2017 - 06:33 PM, said:

Also quoted for truth.

The iPhone choice of too big or way too big doesnt appeal to me as I just cannot lug around a huge phone all the time. My iPhone 4S is the perfect size and is mobile. Apple doesnt get bezel-less in that the reason it is so great is it can make the phone smaller, but Apple screwed that up. Having that notch for Face ID, I would rather go without Face ID. I dont care for any of the other stuff except the A11 processor.

I also dont care for cellular on Apple Watch, would much rather have thinner or longer battery life.

They still make the SE, but it is a bit unfortunate that it’s the bastard child. Hopefully it’ll get the 8’s guts and a new design next spring.

Can’t say I’m in the same boat, though. I love my Plus, though I’ll be happy to one day ditch the bezels.

#9 Spike

Spike

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:15 PM

Yes, I know there is still the SE that is also taller then my 4S. If I were to upgrade now, I would get the SE and put up with a little bigger phone.

#10 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3766 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:43 AM

I am quite positive about everything announced, short of the iPhone X price, but I get why it is so high (Both from a technical POV, and from a marketing POV). I thought the presentation was good, but now they've also established the lower standard (The keynote where Apple Music was introduced).

But man, you guys...

Posted Image

"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#11 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8060 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:43 AM

View PostSpike, on 12 September 2017 - 10:15 PM, said:

Yes, I know there is still the SE that is also taller then my 4S. If I were to upgrade now, I would get the SE and put up with a little bigger phone.
As someone who was also wary of switching from an iPhone 4 to the taller SE: the difference is quite small. You'll forget about it in no time. It helps that the SE is not wider than the 4/4s and still small enough to reach the upper corners comfortably with your thumb (unless your fingers are very stumpy, of course) – unlike the iPhone X were you have to awkwardly reach to the top right corner to pull down the Control Center.

Oh, by the way: Apple has released a new version of iTunes where they removed the ability to manage your iOS apps, ringtones, books, and photos on your Mac. You can no longer buy or update any iOS apps. All of this has to be done now on your iDevices.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#12 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:54 AM

I'd second that - going from the 4S to 5 (at the time - SE is identical) wasn't a problem and the weight reduction and resolution improvement well worth it.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, GTX680 4GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#13 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1345 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:27 AM

View Postmattw, on 13 September 2017 - 05:54 AM, said:

I'd second that - going from the 4S to 5 (at the time - SE is identical) wasn't a problem and the weight reduction and resolution improvement well worth it.

The weight reduction in particular was striking. I remember thinking that it felt so light it was almost as if it was fake. It made the phone feel more “mobile” despite theslightly bigger dimension.

Edit: anyone else on iOS 11 yet? Quotes aren’t formatting properly here on Safari.

Edit2: that edit fixed the problem. Strange.

#14 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3281 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:30 AM

I thought all of the products looked fine. The iPhone X seems to be getting a mixed reaction, but the iPhone 8 is there for people who want a more traditional and/or cheaper phone. I don't have a need for any of the new products, but I have friends and family who will really like them. Several of my friends with 4K TV's were very happy to finally be able to order a 4K Apple TV. Several other friends are very interested in the Series 3 Watch with Cellular.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: i5 6600K @ 4.6 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 850 Evo M.2 Sata, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#15 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:54 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 13 September 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

the iPhone 8 is there for people who want a more traditional and/or cheaper phone

Cheaper than iPhone X, but other than that it's fricking expensive. Oh well, that's (partly) why I use a Nexus 5X. :D

#16 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17344 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:07 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 13 September 2017 - 03:43 AM, said:

Oh, by the way: Apple has released a new version of iTunes where they removed the ability to manage your iOS apps, ringtones, books, and photos on your Mac. You can no longer buy or update any iOS apps. All of this has to be done now on your iDevices.

My wife has tons of photos on her MacBook Pro, that is where our only iPhoto library resides.  Are you saying that she will no longer be able to manage her iPhoto library from her MacBook Pro?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#17 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:10 PM

No, applies only to iOS apps--iOS app store and iOS app management features were removed. So in the future, if you're restoring or setting up a new iPhone, you can't use iTunes to install/sync apps to the phone.
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#18 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:43 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 13 September 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

I thought all of the products looked fine. The iPhone X seems to be getting a mixed reaction, but the iPhone 8 is there for people who want a more traditional and/or cheaper phone. I don't have a need for any of the new products, but I have friends and family who will really like them. Several of my friends with 4K TV's were very happy to finally be able to order a 4K Apple TV. Several other friends are very interested in the Series 3 Watch with Cellular.

How are they gonna USE that 4K ATV?  

I'd blow my 1TB data cap in like a week.

#19 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6057 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:27 PM

Face ID is dildos. Extra steps, doesn't work unless your phone is looking at you, won't see through various job and other related gear... right now I can unlock my phone and then tell Siri to play something on my car's sound system by reaching in my pocket, no removal necessary. Face ID can't do that.

I'd buy the crap out of an iPhone X if they'd made, say, a 4.3 inch model with the 4.7-inch iPhone's screen size (my iPhone 7 is just too big; I get sick of fumbling it when using it one-handed) and found a way to keep Touch ID.
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#20 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8060 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:36 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 13 September 2017 - 04:07 PM, said:

My wife has tons of photos on her MacBook Pro, that is where our only iPhoto library resides.  Are you saying that she will no longer be able to manage her iPhoto library from her MacBook Pro?
Yeah, my wording wasn't very clear on that: I meant the photos, apps, and books that get synced with your iDevices. You can no longer manage that on your Mac. Of course you can still manage the photos that are saved on your Mac.