#121 jackdawsson

jackdawsson

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:35 PM

View PostPegasus, on January 4th 2009, 10:52 PM, said:

As for myself, I still prefer a real book. While products such as Amazon's Kindle look interesting, they just don't feel the same to me. Besides, why pay for them when I can get all the books I want from the public library. ;)

I agree that real books are to be preferred & I feel the eBook in its current form certainly isn't a substitute.  But I can think of a number of advantages for products like DS developing this over time which could easily sit alongside either owning books - btw, something potentially quite profitable if you know what to look for in the 1st editions market & more than a passing interest of mine - or, as you say, lending them from libraries.  For many serious readers there often seems reason enough to want to refer back again to favoured old books, rereading them, etc., so having these always at hand is pretty useful.

Yes, the Kindle's library seems to be growing fast & certainly looks "interesting", but (AFAIK) it hasn't reached the UK yet & for now at least I'd prefer any eBooks I might buy on something like the DS, which offers some quality gaming to boot.  I won't buy any eBook reader right now, but it's conceivable I could change my mind within the next year or two.

#122 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3461 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:12 PM

Great Empires: Rome is set to be released, finally, by Slitherine Strategies in March.  Also, they announced in October '08 some news which included the following:

"admin" said:

Under the MILITARY HISTORY™ brand two titles will be released in the Commander series for handhelds: MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander Europe at War in February and MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander Napoleon at War to follow later in the year.

Very much looking forward to the chance to play CEaW on my DS.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#123 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3461 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:24 PM

MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander Europe at War has been released for the DS and PSP.

Announcement

Looks like Europe only right now.

#124 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3461 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:09 PM

View Postdojoboy, on February 3rd 2009, 01:24 PM, said:

Announcement

And, here is a bit over at Wargamer.com.

Commander Napoleon at War is also coming to the handhelds.

#125 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3461 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:33 PM

View Postdojoboy, on February 3rd 2009, 02:24 PM, said:

Announcement

I just got my DS copy of this today via eBay UK.  It's exactly as the desktop version as far as I can tell.  However, on the DS it is all stylus, completely.  It's okay, but I find myself trying to use the L & R buttons to zoom the map out.  Nada.  Also, there is some wait between turns, mostly because the game is set to autosave by default each turn.  

I like it so far.

#126 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8274 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:44 PM

I picked up GTA Chinatown Wars on friday. A really great game: the city is really huge and detailled, the graphics impressive (screenshots you find on the web don't do the game justice) and it's extremly well playable. It's not perfect, though – the camera is sometimes a bit wonky for instance. When you've never liked GTA before, this game won't change that but it's still a really good game.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#127 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3461 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:48 AM

A review of MH: Commander - Europe at War for the DS.

Review

#128 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8274 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:32 AM

View Postdojoboy, on April 9th 2009, 04:48 PM, said:

A review of MH: Commander - Europe at War at War for the DS.

Review
According to this review, there's a straw mattress in that game?

...its pallet consists mostly of greys...

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#129 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:38 PM

View PostJanichsan, on April 9th 2009, 08:32 AM, said:

...its pallet consists mostly of greys...
Holy cow, a bed made out of space aliens?  Too lumpy for me.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#130 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:58 PM

No no, they use space aliens to move their heavy objects and packed goods around.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#131 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3461 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:45 AM

History Great Empires: Rome arrived yesterday via Gamestop.com - stores are not stocking it.  From what I understand, a limited number have been "pressed."  

I really like what I'm seeing. For those who have played the Legion/Spartan/GOT-type Slitherine games, the DS title is very similar. There is no zoom feature for the map, at least not one I've found yet. However, it doesn't seem to be a hindrance. Also, the economic system has been simplified a great deal. There seem to be only 3 resources: food, stone, and wood. The market and other facilities provide economic bonuses as trade. Of course, I haven't played long enough yet to get a feel for how well this plays out.  There are four types of mini-games, which is a cool idea.  However, there is only capability for one game save file at a time - not preferred.  You can use the stylus for everything, which is good because only the A-button is mapped to cycle armies.

#132 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:56 PM

A Public Service Announcement: Contra 4 is to most games as Winston Churchill is to most people. It is manliness in the form of a video game, and if you don't like it, you're probably the type of person who enjoys a plate of quiche while watching Oprah and organizing your tampons.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#133 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:05 PM

I have yet to beat Contra 4 in normal. Yeah, it keeps spanking my ass! ;)

More recent other greats I've come across:
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars - I love the more traditional, over-the-top gameplay. I was never wild about the full 3D titles
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - Another very good game in the franchise, although this remake's story seems a lot more stilted than of the other more recent titles.
Rhythm Heaven - Very quirky and Japanese. It has some catchy tunes. I certainly haven't been amused by a game like that in a long time.
Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure - A very unique mishmash of platformer and puzzler. I love it!

I still stand by the opinion that the DS is my favorite gaming device/platform of all time. I just can't think of any other I've had as much fun with. That's saying something, since I've been gaming since kindergarten in the late '80s, and I've come across quite a few consoles/computers during that time.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#134 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8274 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:20 AM

View PostPegasus, on May 19th 2009, 07:05 AM, said:

It wouldn't be Contra if it didn't. ;)

More recent other greats I've come across:
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars - I love the more traditional, over-the-top gameplay.
Yup, I fully agree. I have long finished the main story, but I'm still playing that game. Just a pity that it seems to be such a bomb.

#135 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:39 AM

View PostJanichsan, on May 19th 2009, 02:20 AM, said:

View PostPegasus, on May 18th 2009, 10:05 PM, said:

It wouldn't be Contra if it didn't. ;)
It wouldn't be your ass if it wasn't. ;)
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#136 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:28 PM

If anybody's looking to get a sweet deal on a Nintendo DS Lite, I just put mine up on eBay: http://tr.im/mJXO

It includes 12 games plus the carrying case (Age of Empires, Civ Revolution, Puzzle Quest, etc.). A great way to get a like-new system at a bargain price!

#137 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3461 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:48 PM

View PostXxtraLarGe, on May 28th 2009, 09:28 PM, said:

If anybody's looking to get a sweet deal on a Nintendo DS Lite, I just put mine up on eBay: http://tr.im/mJXO

It includes 12 games plus the carrying case (Age of Empires, Civ Revolution, Puzzle Quest, etc.). A great way to get a like-new system at a bargain price!

What gives?  You wouldn't be adding the games if you were looking to grab a DSi.  Would ya?

#138 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:41 AM

View Postdojoboy, on May 28th 2009, 10:48 PM, said:

What gives?  You wouldn't be adding the games if you were looking to grab a DSi.  Would ya?

No, I wouldn't. My stepson just graduated from high school, and we're going to buy him an MacBook now that they have the free iPod Touch offer. Gotta get the money from somewhere. Anyways, I have less time to game these days, and I find that I use my iPod Touch a lot more often for gaming than my DS. I'm also selling a whole boatload of Lord of the Rings & World of Warcraft miniature game figures that I don't use anymore. They take up space and I don't have the time to put into them that justifies having them around. I still have my PS2 plus Civ IV & WoW if I want to do any "hardcore" gaming.