1 reply to this topic

#1 cleansanchez

cleansanchez

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:23 AM

I'm posting this having directly connected my late-2006 iMac 20" to my cable internet modem. Like others, I am also from Australia and having difficulties.

My ISP is the 2nd largest in Australia and together with the 1st they have just about the entire market.

I have the new Gigabit AEBS. Via Airport or ethernet cable to the AEBS the same result: Safari cannot find the server.

As this is a common problem I suspect that somebody at IMG knows what is going wrong.

I have spoken to tech support at my ISP. Eventually they were helpful. They checked IMG in their office from a Mac with Safari loaded and "without proxy issues" whatever that means. They could get through.

So what is the AEBS doing that causes the IMG server to block me? Is it because my IP shows up a bit differently because I am behind a server?

Needless to say I have checked and rechecked my Network and Sharing prefs in Sys Prefs, have gone through the Airport Utility many times and have done a complete OS, Application and data reinstal - yep I wiped the lot.

Could someone please help. This is a great website. Since I reported the problem in a forum in Australia, others have chimed in and stated that they too cannot access IMG and its sister sites.

#2 cleansanchez

cleansanchez

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:48 PM

View Postcleansanchez, on August 24th 2007, 12:23 PM, said:

I'm posting this having directly connected my late-2006 iMac 20" to my cable internet modem. Like others, I am also from Australia and having difficulties.

My ISP is the 2nd largest in Australia and together with the 1st they have just about the entire market.

I have the new Gigabit AEBS. Via Airport or ethernet cable to the AEBS the same result: Safari cannot find the server.

As this is a common problem I suspect that somebody at IMG knows what is going wrong.

I have spoken to tech support at my ISP. Eventually they were helpful. They checked IMG in their office from a Mac with Safari loaded and "without proxy issues" whatever that means. They could get through.

So what is the AEBS doing that causes the IMG server to block me? Is it because my IP shows up a bit differently because I am behind a server?

Needless to say I have checked and rechecked my Network and Sharing prefs in Sys Prefs, have gone through the Airport Utility many times and have done a complete OS, Application and data reinstal - yep I wiped the lot.

Could someone please help. This is a great website. Since I reported the problem in a forum in Australia, others have chimed in and stated that they too cannot access IMG and its sister sites.

Well here I am again. BUT I am using my wireless network. No software changes. I installed some memory in this computer this morning, that's all.

Obviously something has changed somewhere betwen the sttlwa (Seattle?) node (where my trace route would time out) on the internet and the IMG servers. Good work to whomever! Nicely fixed but would be curious to know what was causing the problem for myself and several others here in the land of Oz.

If it wasn't at the IMG end then I suspect that it is some kind of DNS issue as a result of a recent reregistration for IMG, a server move or something else? Fixes can take a while to get through to Australia and perhaps my calls to my ISP prompted them to update the DNS part of their system.