• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 458 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 02:23 PM

So last night I settled down to watch some Star Trek that I'd purchased from iTunes on my Macbook Air and I discovered that all my purchased, non-downloaded media (which is the majority of it, 200 Gb or so) - music, movies and TV shows had disappeared from my iTunes library. The stuff that I'd downloaded was still there. I went over to my desktop, and the same had happened there. Both systems are 10.14.6. I quit the app and relogged my iTunes account, but this didn't fix it.

Looking at my purchase history revealed that everything was still there (yay, I guess) but nothing was available to stream from my libraries.

I spent a long time on Apple Support chat trying to resolve this - the best part of 2 hours, and was escalated through various advisors, but to no avail.

This morning I spent an hour on the phone talking to a very helpful agent at Apple Support, who sent me a spiffy Capture Data app, which duly captured 177 Mb of log files, system info, and a bunch of other stuff. This has been forwarded to 'iTunes engineering' apparently. I've got a follow-up call scheduled in a couple of days.

So there it is. No happy resolution to report at present, but at least someone who knows about this stuff may be looking at it. I'm assuming the problem lies at Apple's end of the pipe since both computers lost these files simultaneously.

I suppose if a resolution can't be found I'll just have to take my lumps and download everything onto the RAID and share that (right?). I'd be interested to know if anyone else out there has experienced a similar issue.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#2 Jeyl

Jeyl

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Steam Name:Jeyl
  • Steam ID:jeyl1984

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:11 PM

I know Star Trek isn't on this platform, but have you tried connecting your iTunes account to MoviesAnywhere?
Processor: 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory: 14 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Vid Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285
Mac OS X Version 10.7.3

#3 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 458 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:44 AM

Hm, no, that's new to me. Thanks for the tip however. (I'm using the UK iTunes store incidentally; that may cause all sorts of exciting issues with that service).

#4 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2338 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:42 PM

That sucks but if you've been escalated to product engineering you've truly experienced a unique bug.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#5 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 458 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 07:22 AM

Indeed, lucky me eh?

So yeah, I dunno, nothing yet. Although I'm US resident I use the UK store, so I wonder if that has something to do with that, as all my (Apple) computers are now exhibiting this problem (although not, weirdly, the iPhone). I'm special!

edit: update, alright I've got a call scheduled with the Media Services division at the weekend. The plot thickens, or not.

#6 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2890 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 05:35 PM

Ugh, what a disaster. I feel deeply for you, and hope its sorted out soon.

This reminds me, I had a very old login for the UK store, funded with gift cards I bought myself while in the UK. But I haven't used it in a long time because most of the music I wanted eventually made its way into the US store. Not to mention Apple Music.

There's no way I'm going near that old account until your issue is resolved. :-)
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#7 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 458 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 07:18 AM

Update #2. Happy to report that my purchases have (mysteriously) re-appeared in my libraries. Thanks to the anonymous Apple employee/ghost of Steve Jobs who fixed it, knowingly or unknowingly. I still have a support call scheduled over the weekend, so I'll try and find out what was done.

#8 jos

jos

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:18 PM

Have they been able to give you any new information in the follow-up call?

#9 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 458 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 02:50 PM

Nope. I reported that the problem was resolved, and the support agent closed the case. She didn't have any further information for me.

#10 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2890 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 03:18 PM

A happy ending, but not particularly satisfying.

Can you imagine if a book or movie ended that way?  "We still don't know who shot the guy, but he made a full recovery and it's been over 3 years. So we've decided to close the case."
"Congratulations, Chief Inspector Bedaine! You've done it again!"
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#11 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 458 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 03:52 PM

I suppose that an exciting database error somewhere in Cupertino, or wherever the hell it is my data are stored (Beijing, probably), was fixed. Maybe the sysdiagnose I sent to Apple was helpful. We'll never know. But I get to stream DS9 again, so I'll take it.

#12 jos

jos

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 12:05 PM

View Postnick68k, on 24 February 2020 - 03:52 PM, said:

or wherever the hell it is my data are stored (Beijing, probably)

Maybe Apple just put your files in quarantine for a few weeks out of fear for the Corona virus.

#13 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 458 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:02 PM

bUt mACs dONt GeT viRUSes

#14 jos

jos

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 09:45 AM

View Postnick68k, on 25 February 2020 - 09:02 PM, said:

bUt mACs dONt GeT viRUSes

Apple doesn't use Macs for their servers. They're all running Windows Server 2003.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: itunes, apple, oops