#61 DoubleTap

DoubleTap

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 04:07 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 30 April 2021 - 06:18 AM, said:

Thanks for letting us know. Your IMG account will deactivate in 30 days. Sorry to do that, but there's a long waiting list of Mac gamers wanting to join the IMG forums as soon as a good username frees up. And "Doubletap" is one of our most requested.

LONG LIST of Mac gamers, I say!

.. Tell you what, you're a gamer who likes Macs, and that's good enough for me. I'll fudge the books, let you hang around for another decade. Maybe the rest of the AS lineup will kick butt and Blizzard will relent and Feral will announce their 2022 releases and you'll change your mind over the next 4 years. (Or maybe you'll fall in love with hidden object games.)

As I mentioned, I will alway play the Apple version of a game if it's available. Maybe Mx (M1, etc.) will bring developers back. I'm even thinking of purchasing Frostpunk (I'll probably never play it) just to support Mac gaming.

I don't see much choice if I want to play the latest releases.

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 03 May 2021 - 10:20 AM, said:

I hope for you it works better than Stadia for me. I had a free 3 months trial so I tested, but won't use anymore than my 10 mn test, because:
- performance is awful. Despite a 100 Mb/s Internet connection and 8 ms ping (measured on my computer) I get stutters, lag, out of sync audio. Now I guess that can be in all or part be explained by the fact my computer is connected via Wi-Fi to an access point, itself connected via PLC to the Internet router. Still I can game online well enough, but for this it's very bad.
- only 1080p and 4K support, nothing in between. So I get an ugly 1080p image on my 1440p monitor.
- no more than 30 games

If I don't get banned from this website, I will let you know how my experience goes.

#62 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Gaming way too long

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1767 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 06:28 AM

View PostDoubleTap, on 06 May 2021 - 04:07 AM, said:

I'm even thinking of purchasing… (I'll probably never play it) just to support Mac gaming.
I've done that on more occasions than I care to count—bought Insert macOS version of Game Title Here to support Mac gaming, to help add to numbers (yes, some games I never played). I'm glad when titles get ported to macOS, it makes me feel like devs care about a little more than the bottom line, well, I don't look for macOS versions of anything any more but it's nice. :rolleyes:
macOS 10.15.x/3.5GHZ 8-Core Xeon W-3223 2019 MacPro/48GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII

macOS 10.15.x/Manjario KDE/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil 5700XT
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

macOS 10.14.x/3.33GHz Xeon W3580 cMacPro (5,1 flash)/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil RX580

#63 Homy

Homy

Recharable Bionic Buttocks

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 07:21 AM

Fortnite is in my Epic Launcher library and I can install it on my Mac. I don't know if it's because it already was in my Library.

#64 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:02 AM

Fortnite is still available for download but they stopped updating it. No more crossplay. You can play only with other Mac/iOS devices.

#65 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4508 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:37 AM

View PostMichalM.Mac, on 06 May 2021 - 08:02 AM, said:

Fortnite is still available for download but they stopped updating it. No more crossplay. You can play only with other Mac/iOS devices.

So, five guys running around in a huge open world. Woo.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#66 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 06 May 2021 - 09:32 AM

More like a lot of iOS player waiting for you to eliminate them easily :P

#67 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Gaming way too long

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1767 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 03:45 PM

Sounds like what Aspyr did with Black Ops III—but Aspyr did it within 6 months of release, so nyyyaaa Epic!
macOS 10.15.x/3.5GHZ 8-Core Xeon W-3223 2019 MacPro/48GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII

macOS 10.15.x/Manjario KDE/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil 5700XT
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

macOS 10.14.x/3.33GHz Xeon W3580 cMacPro (5,1 flash)/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil RX580

#68 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3293 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 May 2021 - 08:02 AM

bought Insert macOS version of Game Title Here to support Mac gaming, to help add to numbers
My version of that: I sometimes buy a Mac game at near-full price to support it, instead of waiting for a big sale. It's always a game that I'm interested in playing though.

I also make a point of installing and playing it for at least 10-15 minutes. Steam's formula for deciding which publisher(s) get the revenue used to be based on what platforms the game had actually been run on. If it was never launched, after a couple months Steam just guesses. Long ago that guess was always to pay the original publisher, and not whoever ported it.

It matters less if the original publisher also did the Mac version, but I figure it can't hurt for them to see that the Mac version was installed. That's why I bought Frostpunk and Borderlands 3 almost as soon as the Mac ports came out.

I have no idea if Steam still uses that formula, or what the other digital stores do. But better safe than sorry, unless of course I bought it on the App Store.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 11.6/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#69 ozzy

ozzy

Who?

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 07 May 2021 - 09:27 AM

I also find myself doing that, and buying games that I might not end up playing to support the publishers/porters. I also try to buy through MacGameStore or direct from Feral where possible to make it very obvious that it is the Mac version (and if going direct through Feral they get the full amount, without losing 20-30% to the store).

#70 jos

jos

Forum Member of the Month

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 08:54 AM

Whenever a game I want to play at some point in the future is released for the Mac, I immediately buy it at full price to support Mac gaming. No idea when I'll be able to play it, but this will usually be several years later. Still, I want to buy the game within a few days of release, just to show them there's a demand.

#71 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2303 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 09:55 PM

I guess theirs always going with a gaming driven linux distro if thats up your alley. PopOS or ElementaryOS maybe?
What is a man?

#72 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Gaming way too long

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1767 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 01:20 AM

I use the Manjaro KDE distro. Plays games quite well (native and Proton). Comes with AMD and NVIDIA drivers, updates very often.

#73 Homy

Homy

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 07:11 PM

This is for me the most interesting news at this WWDC. This and the other sessions about ray tracing make me think if there is a connection.

Optimize high-end games for Apple GPUs: Optimize your high-end games for Apple GPUs: We'll show you how you can use our rendering and debugging tools to eliminate performance issues and make your games great on Apple platforms. Learn from our experiences working with developers at Larian Studios and 4A Games as we help them optimize their games for Apple GPUs. We'll explore various techniques for improving your game's performance, including optimizing shaders, reducing memory bandwidth utilization, and increasing the overlap of your GPU workloads. We'll also dive into the new GPU Timeline profiling tool in Xcode 13 to identify possible performance bottlenecks in “Divinity: Original Sin 2” when running on iPad. For this session, you should be familiar with the tile-based deferred rendering architecture in Apple GPUs, and have a working knowledge of Xcode and the Metal API. Check out “Discover Metal debugging, profiling, and asset creation tools” or the WWDC20 session “Optimize Metal apps and games with GPU counters” to learn more about using our tools to profile graphics workloads.

Enhance your app with Metal ray tracing: Achieve photorealistic 3D scenes in your apps and games through ray tracing, a core part of the Metal graphics framework and Shading Language. We'll explore the latest improvements in implementing ray tracing and take you through upgrades to the production rendering process. Discover Metal APIs to help you create more detailed scenes, integrate natively-supported content with motion, and more.

Explore hybrid rendering with Metal ray tracing: Discover how you can combine ray tracing with your rasterization engine to implement simplified graphics techniques and elevate visuals in your app or game. We'll explore how you can use natural algorithms to accurately simulate the interplays of light, and learn how to take advantage of the latest tools in Xcode to capture, inspect, and debug your ray-traced scenes.

4A has ported all Metro games to Mac. The reason they couldn't bring Exodus Enhanced Edition to Mac was obviously the lack of hardware ray tracing on Macs since that is what the Enhanced version is all about mainly. 4A has also big plans for Metro Exodus in the future with a new Metro game, multiplayer and a new AAA experience alongside the Metro series.

Since Apple wants to showcase the collaboration with 4A I think Mac is included in 4A's future plans and one of them is to bring ray tracing to Mac when the hardware allows it.

Another curious thing is that the session is called "Optimize your high-end games for Apple GPUs" and it's described as "Learn from our experiences working with developers at Larian Studios and 4A Games as we help them optimize their games for Apple GPUs". Even though Metro Exodus works on M1 it seems that it was built and optimized for Intel/AMD Macs with Molten VK running via Rosetta so I wonder in what way it was optimized for "Apple GPUs". Does it mean there will be a Apple Silicon native port soon? Perhaps with ray tracing with new and more powerful Apple SoCs? I noticed Apple says "as we help them optimize their games", not helped, meaning it's an ongoing project. Very exciting indeed!

Some developers at Macrumors think "Pretty sure this means we are getting hardware RT (or at least faster RT) later this year. Half of sessions are RT related and there is one on hybrid rendering". "I know Apple has gotten a lot of flak over perceived tepid support for games on the Mac, but they clearly still have it in mind. It's no surprise that they specifically mention Larian and 4A as studios that they have worked with and I would note that the first sentence specifies "high-end games". It seems to me that Apple is willing to work with developers who want to work with them, and are going to provide assistance for those who are interested".

4A is the new Aspyr! ;)

#74 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8733 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 08 June 2021 - 12:04 AM

View PostHomy, on 07 June 2021 - 07:11 PM, said:

Does it mean there will be a Apple Silicon native port soon?
They seem to show a M1 native version of Metro Exodus in the Platform State of the Union (around 45 minutes in; the wording is a bit ambiguous, though).

Another highlight from that video: you can now use a game controller to control your iPad... :cool:

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#75 jeannot

jeannot

Taunting a Second Time

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 12:38 AM

... and adaptive sync is coming to the Mac, which is cool.

#76 jeannot

jeannot

Taunting a Second Time

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 12:44 AM

View PostHomy, on 07 June 2021 - 07:11 PM, said:

. Even though Metro Exodus works on M1 it seems that it was built and optimized for Intel/AMD Macs with Molten VK running via Rosetta so I wonder in what way it was optimized for "Apple GPUs".
Metro is definitely an X86 executable, but I'm not 100% sure it uses moltenVK. MrmacRight did say that the moltenVK dylib wasn't linked to the macOS folder in the .app bundle.  
If the game uses moltenVK, it means 4A games hardy wrote any Metal code. This is not something that Apple wants to showcase at WWDC.

#77 galad

galad

Fanatic

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 01:20 AM

There is a lot that can optimized even if you are using moltenvk. The Metal debugger works when running thru moltenvk too.

#78 jeannot

jeannot

Taunting a Second Time

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 07:17 AM

View Postgalad, on 08 June 2021 - 01:20 AM, said:

There is a lot that can optimized even if you are using moltenvk. The Metal debugger works when running thru moltenvk too.
Maybe, but I don't see Apple putting the spotlight on developers who did a good job at not using Metal directly.

#79 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Computing and Humanity

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:31 AM

MetroExodus (steam) runs very poorly on my M1mini. Not more than 10fps even on 720p and low.
MacMini M1 8GB - 23" CinemaDisplay
Macbook Air Late 2010 320M

MacPro 2013 D300
Several MacMinis 2005 - 2014
G4-Cube 450/R128/9.0.4/10.2.8 15"
G4-1,8 Sonnet GF4800 - Voodoo2 SLI
G3 B+W Voodoo3 / G3-Desktop Orange PC620
PM 6100/66 486-DX2/66 / LC IIe-Card / LC475 / IIgs 5,25+3,5 CF-Harddisk

#80 Homy

Homy

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:34 AM

View Postdr.zeissler, on 08 June 2021 - 10:31 AM, said:

MetroExodus (steam) runs very poorly on my M1mini. Not more than 10fps even on 720p and low.

Yes, you said it before. Did you take a look at the config file as I recommended here?