#1 1up

1up

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:40 AM

Hi all
After struggling for a few years I finally was able to configure my router so I can serve from behind it.We're blessed with 2 G5's for the moment,quad and dual 1.8.Does anyone have experience with serving?I'd like the server to run all the time but that would be bad for our electricity bill my girlfriend thinks.
Any usefull tips?Only serve in weekends?Should I try to get a Mac mini to do it?-2 ports are still available on the router.Can I use the quads second ethernet connection in some way?
Help appreciated
Thx

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17568 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:40 AM

Nowadays troubleshooting threads should appear in the forum that most fits the subject matter.  In this case the experts in Shooters would be a good fit as you specifically mention CoD as the game you are interested in serving.  I'll move this over to Shooters, you should get better results there than in General.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 1up

1up

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:33 AM

Not much reply,Thx anyway.

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17568 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:10 PM

I found a CoD thread with some server tips.  Not exactly what you are asking for but you might find it informative.  Bump the thread every couple of days for a week.  If nobody answers by then, then it's possible nobody here can help you.

Just curious, what sort of electric bill are you expecting to get?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 TheYAK

TheYAK

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 06:46 AM

I use to serve CoD and UO last year. Took along time to make it work. With 3,000 + servers out there you may ot get any ppl to join. Anyway I wrote up what I did and for me and a few others it worked fine (last year)
Here is the info:

First of all, to make the game auto boot into a server you need to creat a file called: MacCoDParms.txt which contains:
set dedicated 2 // dedicated internet
exec // server config file to execute
map_rotate // ONLY use this in COD NOT COD UO ! it will write protect PBuster if you do

For AWE mods,it should look like this:
set fs_game aweuo // aweuo is the name of the dir for AWE it may differ each revision of AWE
set dedicated 2 // dedicated internet
exec // server config file to execute
exec aweuo.cfg // the AWE.CFG file to run

To create your game cfg file you can
- Get GSC and set it up and launch, then exit. Copy the .cfg file it made (GSC will NOT show in game query - bug?)
- Go to AWEMOD.COM and use the online configurator.

The missing entries from GSC seem to be
//Server Heartbeat
seta sv_gamespy "1" // This entry had a bad prefix of set instead of seta
set sv_master1 "coduomaster.activision.com" // all of these were OK
set sv_master2 "master.gamespy.com"
set sv_master3 "master0.gamespy.com"
set sv_master4 "clanservers.net"
set sv_master5 "coduoauthorize.activision.com"
// Network ====================== ALL of this was missing !
set net_ip "your server ip number"
set net_port "28960

Routers:
If you have a router , put it in DMZ mode to try the server out. Other systems on your "home" network WILL NOT see the server in the game query list (if you do, something is wrong!) You may see it on LOCAL (some of mine do, some don't) And you will NOT be able to connect to it by EXTERNAL IP. You will need someone OFF your local Lan to confirm you are in the list.
This took me a long time to figure out. If you try an external IP connect via the tilda key, it will packet flood other systems on the Local Lan (tilda key them and watch the Invalid Requests flooding by
Makes sence since even tho the server is in DMZ it is not stopping connection/query packets from the LAN (and you don't want that if you want to play on another system on the LAN) To connect to you LAN server, if it shows up under Local, fine, if not, tilda key it and connect to its ROUTER IP 192.168.1.xxx. All the added packet traffic tcp/udp servers need gets confused, thus the network SNAFUs on "seeing" it in the list and the "Invalid Requests" the other Lan boxes get when you EXTERNAL IP connect attempt. After all is said and done, I'd hard code the servers IP and change the DMZ number to that(and hard DNS). If you have more than the server on the LAN that will be playing at any time, do NOT PORT FWD ! It will disable the others from playing. Try a port trigger instead (if you don't want to run in DMZ mode)

#6 1up

1up

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 04:33 AM

Hi battle cat an Yak.
Sorry I can't reply right now,just received a job,wich will keep me busy for 2 weeks.
As soon as I'm free again,I will get in to it.
Thanks a lot for for the helpfull reply.
Just on a quick note a quad with a 7800 card is twice as quit as my dual 1.8 with x800!!
Even with heavy renders going on (day /night that is)
Ok back to work...

#7 1up

1up

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 03:43 AM

Hi all
it's been a while,but I had a job to do.
For those that also have a lot of trouble getting the router to serve,this is the addres thatt helped me out:http://www.portforward.com/default.htm
I think you'll find info for most routers there,great site!
A software called GSC united offensive : http://www.macgamefi....php?item=18528
helped me to cnfigure my server.
I was waiting for call2,thinking to serve the latest,but I just tried the demo and I'm not impressed.
The game looks great,but no-one can run it on 'high quality",right?
So I'll try to run my united offensive server as planned,wich I'm sure will be fun as well.
thx all