DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1375 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 18 November 2015 - 01:38 AM

My evaluation of Windows 10 is purely as a gaming OS on my iMac and in that sense it offers less compatibility than Windows 7 with zero added benefit because this late-2013 iMac's GPU will not support DX 12 and it cannot be upgraded and Windows 10 free upgrade licensure is treated as an OEM license tied to the installation hardware therefore the license is useless when I ditch this iMac. I cannot take it with me to a future machine so why bother?

That's where i was coming from above and the advice I think is good unless one already has or can upgrade to a DX 12 card in a system they plan to keep for some time. Then, compatibility issues aside (which I'd concede are not that big a deal or that widespread either) I could see it.

It will be interesting to see what MS does with pricing, etc. when the deal on this runs out. They may value the consumer beta testers enough to keep giving the OS away to them for free so they can ferret out the bugs for the Business users. This seems to be the scheme currently. Consumers get updates whether they want them or not. I think the ability to control this better was just added for Pro versions of Windows 10 wasn't it? I am only following this stuff casually so I might be off there but the various "ring" levels of Windows 10 distribution do last I knew feature consumers being unwitting testers of Windows 10 basically so that those who shell out the big bucks for corporate licensing get more stable operating system software. Everybody wins sort of depending on how you want to see this.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell