Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1361 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:05 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 13 October 2015 - 10:37 PM, said:

(Why do we have 2 threads on the same topic?)

Note that RAM is now soldered in the 4K iMac, so get what you need when you purchase it.

I wondered the same thing. I already posted my thoughts about this in the other one.

I hear they are going to put a mobile CPU in the next Mini and make it coaster size - perfect for setting your coffee on. All connections to it will be wireless to avoid the thickness the ports would require. There is also a rumor that it may incorporate the track pad as its top surface which would eliminate the coaster functionality much to the consternation of some users.

Mac Mini Air - coming soon to an Apple Store near you!
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#22 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:28 AM

What do you folks think about the Radeon M395X GPU with 4 GB VRAM offered in the 27"? I'm eventually going to have to replace my 2006 MacPro and wondering whether that GPU will actually be good for modern games, or just adequate.
Work: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB RAM/ATI HD5770,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Windows 7
Home: MacPro 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon/8GB RAM/ATI HD4870,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Windows 7

Beach: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/El Capitan/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#23 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3240 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:30 AM

View Postjgwdoc, on 14 October 2015 - 09:28 AM, said:

What do you folks think about the Radeon M395X GPU with 4 GB VRAM offered in the 27"? I'm eventually going to have to replace my 2006 MacPro and wondering whether that GPU will actually be good for modern games, or just adequate.

It will be around 10-20% faster than the M295X. You can read the review for the M295X here with tons of game benchmarks.

I would expect to it be around the same performance as a desktop GTX 680
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: i5 6600K @ 4.6 GHz || AMD RX480 8 GB || 8 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 850 Evo M.2 Sata, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Accessories: LG 21:9 2560x1080 monitor  || PS4 slim ||  QNAP TS-228 NAS (2x 6 TB Seagte IronWolf) || Phone 6S 64GB

#24 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:51 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 14 October 2015 - 11:30 AM, said:

It will be around 10-20% faster than the M295X. You can read the review for the M295X here with tons of game benchmarks.

I would expect to it be around the same performance as a desktop GTX 680

So, State of the Art for 2012. Sigh.
Work: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB RAM/ATI HD5770,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Windows 7
Home: MacPro 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon/8GB RAM/ATI HD4870,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Windows 7

Beach: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/El Capitan/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#25 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3240 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:32 PM

View Postjgwdoc, on 14 October 2015 - 11:51 AM, said:

So, State of the Art for 2012. Sigh.

Well mobile GPU's have always lagged pretty far behind their desktop counterparts. The 900M series from Nvidia is making some pretty impressive strides but it's a shame Apple doesn't utilize them. I would expect Apple to go back to Nvidia after whatever deal they have with AMD expires.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: i5 6600K @ 4.6 GHz || AMD RX480 8 GB || 8 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 850 Evo M.2 Sata, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Accessories: LG 21:9 2560x1080 monitor  || PS4 slim ||  QNAP TS-228 NAS (2x 6 TB Seagte IronWolf) || Phone 6S 64GB

#26 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17246 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:58 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 13 October 2015 - 10:37 PM, said:

(Why do we have 2 threads on the same topic?)

The news has been set up for the last decade with the allowance that nothing in the news forum is a duplicate by definition.  Otherwise we would be pulling news off the news forum or deleting members forum threads to resolve the issues that arise, neither of which is acceptable.  This way the News forum is the news of record and you are free to discuss what you will in the forums.

Sounds win/win to me.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#27 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1361 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:37 AM

That makes sense. I just happened to see the other thread before the news. I guess I should read the news first in the future so I know what is going on before descending into the forums elsewhere!

#28 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1361 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:34 AM

I had seen something about the iMac's price being reduced in Computer World so I headed on over to the online Apple store and went through the motions to add a top of the line 27" iMac to my cart and got a wake up call. Just three years ago I was able to purchase a 27" iMac with best GPU available for $1,900. on Amazon.com with no sales tax. That was the train I got on. Just three short years later to buy an iMac with the best GPU I have to go BTO and to get a system suitable for gaming and with hopefully some longevity (but it will be limited by the mobile GPU just the same) it is now around $3,500. with local sales tax.

Here are the options I looked at from the new 27" and 21.5" models to the current Mini and 13" Macbook Air which I might consider where gaming isn't going to be a concern anymore most likely and being able to use it while relaxing on the living room couch would be nice. The speed would be nice too with an SSD. Without all the games, I don't need nearly so much storage for the stuff I keep.

Here's the four systems as I'd configure them for my purposes if I were buying today but I would not buy the 27" iMac. For a gamer, it just isn't worth it at all. So really I would just be considering the other three options for all things OS X and something else entirely for most all gaming.

This will take you to a Flickr album of Apple Store cart screenshots showing configurations and total cost with local tax here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskns5KWz

If you click on one pic, you can then page through the five of them. I include a ASUS monitor I'd buy in the case of a Mac Mini which in total with that monitor is the cheapest option. The Macbook Air has mobility and speed going for it. The 21" iMac is hard to justify. The 27" iMac is ridiculously expensive. So for me, either the Mini or the Air would be chosen if I was buying a Mac today.

Honestly, the expense of this stuff is enough to make me think about just getting an Air for computing and a console for gaming.

#29 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1981 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:45 AM

I have that monitor it is rurl bad ass. I have my PC and my Mac pro hooked up to it right now. Eventually I will retire this Mac Pro and I will probably replace it with a Mac mini. PC for gaming. Mac Mini for Macing. I still have my 2012 MBP that will last for a while, eventually I'll replace it with an air. TBH at the air's native resolution 1440x900 games do run ok, even elite dangerous is fine on medium (I have an Air at work, I uhhhhh use games for uhhhhhhhh testing that's it testing).

Unless apple sticks some real GPU power in an iMac us mortals can afford.......why bother. Hell for the price of an iMac you would want you can get your self a mini, an air, and have enough change left over for a wii u or an xbox or something.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#30 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1361 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 11:16 AM

Those are very good points and something along those lines is what will be happening next time around. I have liked the iMac, particularly the replacement one i am using now but not for that kind of money. I think I will more enjoy having a flexible setup with smaller outlays at various times for upgrades vs getting whacked with a huge outlay every three years.

Oh, and it was you who told me about that monitor recently you may recall. After that I looked it up on Amazon, read about it there and wish listed it. I'm sure that would be perfect for my needs with a Mini and potential other options with it.

#31 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1981 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:41 PM

I don't remember what I had for breakfast most days bruh. :teehee: I also have the PS3 hooked up to the monitor but I don't really ever play it so I didn't mention it. Kids play minecraft PS3 on it sometimes though.

This is going to sound like sacrilege but I use my work Air more than my 2012 MBP. It is real light and convenient and the battery lasts forever. Since I do more work/browsing etc than gaming on it. At the applicable resolution games do run ok on it's HD 5000.

I would recommend a mini and an air to anyone over an iMac these days. And I've had a lot of iMacs over the years. G3, G4, Core 2 Duo.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#32 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 01:47 PM

It's worth taking a look at this thread as well if you are wanting a Mac that can also be used for gaming:

http://www.insidemac...opic=47583&st=0

Although I haven't yet seen any definitive benchmarks FWIW unless physical space, portability or the 5K screen are particular requirements for your other needs I fully expect a used Mac Pro from 2009 with some upgrades CPU, GPU and an SSD to still be on par with the iMacs for most gaming and would be a good chunk of cash less to pick up.

At the end of the day the life cycle is extending compared to the past because we aren't seeing the huge leaps in performance.

The advances these days are primarily driven by mobile devices which means battery life and lower power consumption (thinner form factors) whilst maintaining a certain level of performance.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, Radeon 7950 Mac 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.3

#33 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1981 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 01:59 PM

View Postmattw, on 17 October 2015 - 01:47 PM, said:

The advances these days are primarily driven by mobile devices which means battery life and lower power consumption (thinner form factors) whilst maintaining a certain level of performance.

From a I was actually doing work related activities standpoint my work 2013 Air literally lasted all day every day at the conference I was at, including using it to charge my iPhone. I SUPPOSE that is more valuable than gaming performance.

BUT since I am not carrying an iMac around with me at a conference I would accept a slightly larger profile if it meant better GPUs and bigger drives. Honestly you look at a the front of a 2012 iMac and a 2015 iMac straight on you can't tell the difference. Let dat iMac have some GPU powered booty.

#34 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1361 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:16 PM

The price might be less of an issue if the iMac was considerably more powerful to begin with and upgradeable as well but it is neither so I doubt I will even consider one going forward unless something changes dramatically and I would not expect that to happen any time soon if at all.

On a bright note I do really love the Mac for everything else and whatever I get will be able to play some games and most of my old games easily enough. So that's cool where I have a lot of them. Having seen a lot of modern console gaming at my nephew's home I can understand the appeal of them. They are very reasonably priced and the experience on a large screen in the living room from the comfort of the couch is a beautiful thing. Honestly, the only adjustment is getting used to a controller as the entire means of input always on those vs keyboard/mouse which is a hard habit to break after so many years. I have found though that the more I use a controller the more I like them actually. There is less to remember. I like that. My wrists don't hurt. I like that. Laying on the couch? I love that. Gaming is hard work so being able to lay down on the job is really nice.

#35 Nickburger

Nickburger

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Steam Name:Nickburger

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:37 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 17 October 2015 - 10:45 AM, said:

Unless apple sticks some real GPU power in an iMac us mortals can afford.......why bother. Hell for the price of an iMac you would want you can get your self a mini, an air, and have enough change left over for a wii u or an xbox or something.

I think I am going to follow this advice. I am puttering along with a late 2011 15" MBP and it can still mange to run XCOM2 albeit with some huffing and puffing. When it finally kicks out, I am hoping a new/refurbished Mac mini will seem face-meltingly fast by comparison, even with an integrated GPU. The Air can then take care of any mobile, work-related document tinkering and web browsing.

SOME MORE TIME AND THOUGHTS AND A LITTLE RESEARCH LATER: That integrated graphics :blarf:! The best thing for my lite gaming might be to just pick up a refurbished 27" iMac for under $1500.

#36 nick68k

nick68k

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 218 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:38 PM

View PostNickburger, on 09 February 2017 - 10:37 AM, said:

SOME MORE TIME AND THOUGHTS AND A LITTLE RESEARCH LATER: That integrated graphics :blarf:! The best thing for my lite gaming might be to just pick up a refurbished 27" iMac for under $1500.

Ah, this is an old thread. I was momentarily excited when I saw the topic.

Anyway, yes, integrated graphics suck for even slightly demanding gaming. I have the 2015 4K 21.5' iMac with Iris Pro 6200, and in general framerates are no better than the 5 year-old discrete Radeon 6770M system it replaced. (Note that the only graphically 'intensive' gaming I do is WoW, however). This is using a screen res of 1920 x 1080.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#37 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3706 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:59 AM

View PostBenjiBenjamin123, on 09 February 2017 - 06:30 AM, said:

Thank you for useful information!
O_o You are quite late dude.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#38 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1981 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:26 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 10 February 2017 - 12:59 AM, said:

O_o You are quite late dude.

The October 2015 updates are still the latest iMac models available so they's right on time.