15 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 May 2011 - 05:07 AM

The digital download version of Feral Interactive's Sid Meier's Pirates! is now available for purchase from Macgamestore.com and other online outlets.

The game invites players to live the life of a 17th century Caribbean pirate captain in an epic, open-ended seafaring adventure. Face down dogged enemies, duel enemy captains, woo fair maidens and raise the Jolly Roger high above the seven seas in pursuit of glory and riches.

Discover what it takes to become one of the most famous pirates in history! Based on Sid Meier’s original masterpiece, Pirates! invites you to live the life of a 17th-century Buccaneer in this epic, open-ended seafaring adventure.

Test your skills as a privateer flying the Jolly Roger across the Caribbean. Duel enemy captains, exchange plank-shattering broadsides and seize valuable booty, woo fair maidens, dig up buried treasure, and of course plunder unsuspecting ports. As your reputation and skills grow, so will the size and quality of your crew, and your ability to take on larger enemy ships, raid heavily fortified ports, and locate ancient treasure. There's a whole cast of interesting and dangerous characters to meet, mysteries to solve, and exotic island destinations to discover.

It’s a game of high adventure, where brave and skilled players battle for treasure and glory. Those who succeed achieve great fame and wealth – and those who fail rest forever in Davy Jones’ locker!
Sid Meier's Pirates! is now available for $29.95 (USD).
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8046 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:58 AM

I'm wondering if that means that the previous disc based version of Pirates! will get a patch with the newer online activation DRM. Has any of Feral's older games now available as download versions (e.g. Bioshock, Brothers in Arms, Rome TW) been patched like this?

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:43 AM

Does the disk version have a serial code to enter? If so, I wonder if the downloaded one uses the same code or not.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#4 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:08 AM

No, it does not. It has a simple disc check. Borderlands was the first game for which they implemented that system.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#5 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 10:54 AM

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread but I had a hankering to play Sid Meier's Pirates again but it's asking for the DVD which is a problem because I no longer have a DVD drive. I guess I don't even know if it would work in Mac OS Sierra anyways though. I still have the DVD from being a beta tester on the game but obviously that does me no good anymore. Does anybody know if there's a solution to this?
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

#6 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 12 November 2016 - 10:59 AM

View PostTacohead, on 12 November 2016 - 10:54 AM, said:

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread but I had a hankering to play Sid Meier's Pirates again but it's asking for the DVD which is a problem because I no longer have a DVD drive. I guess I don't even know if it would work in Mac OS Sierra anyways though. I still have the DVD from being a beta tester on the game but obviously that does me no good anymore. Does anybody know if there's a solution to this?

I wonder if you had a .iso or .dmg and mounted it if it would be enough to trick it. I know a lot of games were smart to this but...... There's still the matter of making the image if you don't have access to a drive.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#7 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:25 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 12 November 2016 - 10:59 AM, said:

I wonder if you had a .iso or .dmg and mounted it if it would be enough to trick it. I know a lot of games were smart to this but...... There's still the matter of making the image if you don't have access to a drive.

Yeah I thought of that but I don't have access to either of those. It might be possible for me to borrow a DVD drive from a friend but that probably wouldn't solve the problem either because I can't keep the drive. I'm also not going to buy DVD drive just to play this game. And once again I don't even know if it will work in Mac OS Sierra.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3

#8 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2438 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:48 PM

I'll reinstall the game and see if I can get it to run using a mounted ISO image. If this works you'd just need to rip the DVD to an ISO, and copy it to your machine using a USB drive.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#9 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:53 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 12 November 2016 - 02:48 PM, said:

I'll reinstall the game and see if I can get it to run using a mounted ISO image. If this works you'd just need to rip the DVD to an ISO, and copy it to your machine using a USB drive.

Okay thanks Matt. If it works for you I'll see if I can borrow my friends DVD drive.

#10 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2438 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 06:25 PM

It does NOT work. It was a long shot, but worth trying.

I'd send a message to Feral support, see if they can suggest anything.

Since you were a beta tester for it, maybe they'll take pity and give you a Mac App Store code for the downloadable version. (Or pay the $15, or put it on your wishlist and wait for it to go on sale.)

#11 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:31 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 12 November 2016 - 06:25 PM, said:

It does NOT work. It was a long shot, but worth trying.

I'd send a message to Feral support, see if they can suggest anything.

Since you were a beta tester for it, maybe they'll take pity and give you a Mac App Store code for the downloadable version. (Or pay the $15, or put it on your wishlist and wait for it to go on sale.)

Aww too bad. Thanks for trying though.

Yeah I was going to contact Feral anyways but I guess I will wait and see if they get back to you first before contacting them myself.

We need another Pirates remake someday!

#12 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2438 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 10:09 PM

View PostTacohead, on 12 November 2016 - 07:31 PM, said:

Yeah I was going to contact Feral anyways but I guess I will wait and see if they get back to you first before contacting them myself.

I see that I wasn't clear: by "I'd contact Feral.." I meant "I WOULD contact Feral.." In other words, I was trying to suggest you contact Feral. Sorry for the confusion.

#13 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 13 November 2016 - 08:35 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 12 November 2016 - 10:09 PM, said:

I see that I wasn't clear: by "I'd contact Feral.." I meant "I WOULD contact Feral.." In other words, I was trying to suggest you contact Feral. Sorry for the confusion.

"Have the boy set out my formal shorts." - Brannigan
"The boy, sir?" - Kif
"You Kif, you set out my formal shorts" - Brannigan
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#14 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:02 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 12 November 2016 - 10:09 PM, said:

Oops yeah sorry about that. Was kind of distracted which probably explains the misunderstanding on my part.

Yeah going to contact them.

#15 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 03:09 PM

I can confirm the digital version (with the Feral DRM code system) still works OK on Sierra 10.12.1 for me so if you can buy that version you should be OK.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, GTX680 4GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.4

#16 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:52 AM

View Postmattw, on 14 November 2016 - 03:09 PM, said:

I can confirm the digital version (with the Feral DRM code system) still works OK on Sierra 10.12.1 for me so if you can buy that version you should be OK.

Thanks. That's good to know!