Flight sim help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rseale

rseale

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 09:53 AM

After a four year hiatus - I've decided to try to get back into Mac gaming.  I particularly enjoyed flight sims.....I was a part of the original F/A-18 hornet IRC community years ago - and we used to compete in one on one jousts on slow 14.4 modems.  We had a leaderboard and everything - it was great fun.

The last thing I played was Warbirds - but it eventually became no fun, because the PC guys were all building ttheir own custom gaming machines, and using T-1 connections.  Even with a G4 I was no match....

I now have a G5 on a cable modem, and I'd like to get into this again.  Could I trouble you guys with some questions?

I used to have the whole Thrustmaster setup - throttle, stick and rudder pedals (those were great rudder pedals)....all of it ADB connections....(even with an adapter, I'm sure thrustmaster doesn't make software for Mac OSX).  What hardware is everyone using now?  Are there even rudder pedals available that will work on the Mac?

What is the flight sim of choice nowadays?  Is there a community flight sim like Warbirds still available?  What SIMS are people flying online against other competitors?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Robert Seale (rseale)
robert@robertseale.net

#2 Gafgarion

Gafgarion

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1418 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 11:24 AM

You may not be out of luck with your old peripherals.

A few things that may be of interest to you:

USB Overdrive: A universal USB handler. Although designed for keyboards, mice and trackballs, I've had success using it for gamepads and joysticks.

Thrustmaster Mac OS X Driver (Beta): An opensource project to make the old Thrustmaster peripherals fully functional in OS X. I have not actually tried this, but it looks promising.

As for flight-sims...
X-Plane is the way to go for non-combat, ultra-realistic flight simulation. Nothing beats it there.

The new incarnations of Warbirds are pretty hot as far as combat flight sims.

My personal favorite is World War II Online. It's a massively multiplayer combined arms WW2 sim. The flight engine is excellent and the ability to work in a combined arms situation is fantastic.

I hope this helps, I'm not really that up on flight sims, though.

#3 mustang_dvs

mustang_dvs

Heroic

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 01:17 PM

CH Products makes USB flightsticks, yokes, throttles and rudder pedals that are natively recognized by OS X's HID support.

They may not look as pretty as Thrustmaster's offerings, but they are of better construction, and the company still acknowledges that there are Mac users. Additionally, X-Plane doesn't support ADB Thrustmaster devices.

As for flight sims, the pickings are pretty slim right now. X-Plane is incredible, a new version of Hornet is in beta testing (though I can't tell you anymore, due to an NDA), TargetWare is prepping two historic flightsims for release and there's always Warbirds and WWII online. Feral Interactive has been working on its Comanche vs. Hokum: Enemy Engaged chopper sim for a while, with release date unclear and, supposedly, a new version of Falcon is somewhere over the horizon.
2.66GHz Mac Pro | 2.66GHz 15" MBP | 1.2GHz G4 Cube | 2x 2.0GHz Intel Mini

NASA Mid-Atlantic SpecE30 driver #59

#4 Unit_X

Unit_X

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 02:00 PM

You should check out www.g2interactive.com
They have some sims coming up.

#5 Gafgarion

Gafgarion

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1418 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 02:20 PM

Ahh, I forgot about TargetWare... That's definitely one to check out.

#6 mustang_dvs

mustang_dvs

Heroic

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 11:28 AM

You should check out www.g2interactive.com
They have some sims coming up.
According to their site, they're PC-only, unless I missed something.
2.66GHz Mac Pro | 2.66GHz 15" MBP | 1.2GHz G4 Cube | 2x 2.0GHz Intel Mini

NASA Mid-Atlantic SpecE30 driver #59

#7 Syzygy

Syzygy

Notorious

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 March 2004 - 12:13 PM

According to their site, they're PC-only, unless I missed something.

They are entertaining the idea of a Mac version of Fighter Ops at this thread.
Tim Morgan, Flight Sim Guru

#8 Ari

Ari

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 03:21 AM

Does anyone know if Thrustmaster's USB sticks (HOTAS for example) work with Mac OSX 10.3.3? Reading their site doesn't look too promising...

I have iMate and good old Thrustmaster ADB stick+throttle+pedals, but I can't figure out how to setup the TM beta drivers for Mac OSX... I'd rather get it working as I've spent enough money already when I upgraded to G5 2MHz + Radeon 9800. And I have to by a new printer too... :(

#9 Ari

Ari

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 11:33 PM

Nevermind! I just managed to get that ADB Thrustmaster working with USB G5 via iMate... 8)

Thanks to Gafgarion for pointing out that it is possible at all.