#1 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3304 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:30 PM

I'm the tech guy for an older couple who own a 2007 iMac (Core 2 Duo - iMac 7,1), which I've updated to run Snow Leopard. They just purchased an iPad Air, and they want to put their music and photos onto the iPad.

iTunes doesn't recognize the iPad (thank you legendary apple legacy support), so is there any other way I can transfer the photos and music from their Mac to the iPad? I'm aware of iTunes Match, but I'd rather not have to resort to a paid option to get their music onto the iPad.

My current solution that I'm considering is to transfer all of the photos/music to my Mac, and then sync the iPad to my laptop, but that's not an ideal option.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:11 PM

http://www.photosync.../downloads.html

I use this to dump from my phone to my computer but I think it works the other direction and the Mac component says 10.5 and higher.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#3 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3304 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:09 AM

I'll try that next time I'm at their place. It looks like that can handle unlimited pictures, which is good. They have about 8 GB worth to transfer.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro

#4 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:05 AM

You could try Dropbox for iPad. Its free up to a certain amount of space, but if you are just transferring on, you can do them in batches. Then after its all on, you can leave their dropbox account there so they can easily transfer to/from the device. I know trying to manage libraries in iTunes is a mess, piece of crap software.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#5 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:24 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 30 March 2015 - 08:05 AM, said:

You could try Dropbox for iPad. Its free up to a certain amount of space, but if you are just transferring on, you can do them in batches. Then after its all on, you can leave their dropbox account there so they can easily transfer to/from the device. I know trying to manage libraries in iTunes is a mess, piece of crap software.
I just clicked on this to post pretty much this. If they've got Dropbox account(s), Dropbox for iOS works great. That's what I use all the time to transfer files from my Macs to my retina iPad mini.

Box should work well too. Unlike Dropbox, it's got some bullpopsnizzle file size limit, but that shouldn't be a problem for photos.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:53 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 29 March 2015 - 04:30 PM, said:

I'm the tech guy for an older couple who own a 2007 iMac (Core 2 Duo - iMac 7,1), which I've updated to run Snow Leopard. They just purchased an iPad Air, and they want to put their music and photos onto the iPad.

iTunes doesn't recognize the iPad (thank you legendary apple legacy support), …
Have you made sure they have actually the latest available version of iTunes? The last version to run under Snow Leopard (11.4) should work just fine with all current iDevices with iOS 8.x.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#7 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3304 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:02 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 30 March 2015 - 10:53 AM, said:

Have you made sure they have actually the latest available version of iTunes? The last version to run under Snow Leopard (11.4) should work just fine with all current iDevices with iOS 8.x.

The had iTunes 10 installed, so I'll have to upgrade that. Thanks for the heads up. I ran software update after installed Snow Leopard and just assumed the latest version would be installed.

#8 margratecook

margratecook

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:04 AM

When you launch iTunes 12, so you can use it to transfer photos to iPad Air (iOS 8.3) from Snow Leopard. Actually, we can transfer any data including photos from iPhone to computer, iPad or iPod to iTunes, Computer and Back in a simple way! Effortlessly manage your iDevice with iPhone Transfer. With the help of this outstanding transfer program, you can transfer videos, songs, iTunes U, playlists, podcast to and fromPC and iTunes. Moreover, you can copy albums and photos to and from your computer to any of your iDevices with ease, which completely compatible with iPhone 4S, 5, iPod touch 5, iPod classic, iPod nano, iPod shuffle, the new iPad and the Mini iPad and many more iDevices.
If you want to transfer photos from iPad Air (iOS 8.3) from Snow Leopard, you can apply iTunes with the newest version/iPhone Transfer.

#9 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3304 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:33 PM

Thanks for the advice

#10 margratecook

margratecook

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:22 PM

View Postmargratecook, on 20 July 2015 - 07:04 AM, said:

When you launch iTunes 12, so you can use it to transfer photos to iPad Air (iOS 8.3) from Snow Leopard. Actually, we can transfer any data including photos from iPhone to computer, iPad or iPod to iTunes, Computer and Back in a simple way! Effortlessly manage your iDevice with iPhone Transfer. With the help of this outstanding transfer program, you can transfer videos, songs, iTunes U, playlists, podcast to and fromPC and iTunes. Moreover, you can copy albums and photos to and from your computer to any of your iDevices with ease, which completely compatible with iPhone 4S, 5, iPod touch 5, iPod classic, iPod nano, iPod shuffle, the new iPad and the Mini iPad and many more iDevices.
If you want to transfer photos from iPad Air (iOS 8.3) from Snow Leopard, you can apply iTunes with the newest version/iPhone Transfer.
In addtion, I think iCloud backup can work also.

#11 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3821 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:40 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 29 March 2015 - 04:30 PM, said:

iTunes doesn't recognize the iPad (thank you legendary apple legacy support), so is there any other way I can transfer the photos and music from their Mac to the iPad? I'm aware of iTunes Match, but I'd rather not have to resort to a paid option to get their music onto the iPad.
Actually, Apples iTunes-iPod/iPad/iPhone legacy support is quite amazing. You just need to assure you have iTunes installed that actually support the newer models.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#12 AshRemond

AshRemond

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:24 PM

Anyway, you have arrange the photos you want to transfer to the same folder on your computer. And then just connect your iPad to your computer. Once it has detected, Open iTunes and select the "Photos" tab. Check the "Sync Photos" box at the top. And it's done.

#13 AshRemond

AshRemond

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:16 AM

View PostAshRemond, on 29 July 2015 - 08:24 PM, said:

Anyway, you have arrange the photos you want to transfer to the same folder on your computer. And then just connect your iPad to your computer. Once it has detected, Open iTunes and select the "Photos" tab. Check the "Sync Photos" box at the top. And it's done to transfer photos to iPad Air.
Because iTunes sync may covers the existing data on your iPad, you'd better do some backups.

#14 sulewel

sulewel

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 02:20 AM

You can sync the photos with Dropbox on Snow Leopard first. Then download Dropbox on iPad. All the photos and files will be synced to iPad automatically. This works fine for me.

#15 sulewel

sulewel

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 01:08 AM

View PostAshRemond, on 02 August 2015 - 05:16 AM, said:

Anyway, you have arrange the photos you want to transfer to the same folder on your computer. And then just connect your iPad to your computer. Once it has detected, Open iTunes and select the "Photos" tab. Check the "Sync Photos" box at the top. And it's done to transfer photos to iPad Air. Because iTunes sync may covers the existing data on your iPad, you'd better do some backups.

that's right. so i try my best to avoid using iTunes for device management.

#16 Qeekay

Qeekay

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:40 PM

View Postmargratecook, on 20 July 2015 - 07:04 AM, said:

Sometimes you can transfer data from iOS to iTunes . But if you want to transfer data from iOS to computer quickly. How to deal it ? I recommend you an easy-to-use iOS transfer tool .

#17 antonybushi

antonybushi

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:29 PM

Dropbox can do this easily. Or you can use some 3rd party software like FonePaw iOS Transfer or Dr.Fone which are popular now. They all have Mac or Windows versions. You can transfer kinds of files between your PC and iPhone/iPad with easy steps, of course without iTunes. You can also backup your files to iTunes. They can support to transfer contacts, photos, messages, call history etc. So it's up to you.
And here is tutorial about how to transfer photos from iPad to Mac.

#18 KM1990

KM1990

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 01:03 AM

You can send via Dropbox app or email if you don't have too many photos on your Mac. If iTunes doesn't work on your Mac, you can also try an alternative to transfer photos to your iPad.

#19 Guest_Tlcchinps_*

Guest_Tlcchinps_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:13 AM

View Postantonybushi, on 09 August 2016 - 09:29 PM, said:

Dropbox can do this easily. Or you can use some 3rd party software like FonePaw iOS Transfer or Dr.Fone which are popular now. They all have Mac or Windows versions. You can transfer kinds of files between your PC and iPhone/iPad with easy steps, of course without iTunes. You can also backup your files to iTunes. They can support to transfer contacts, photos, messages, call history etc. So it's up to you.
And here is tutorial about how to transfer photos from iPad to Mac.

Dropbox is fine but it takes extract time to save the photos in gallery. It is much easier with iCloud. I just did it on my iPad Pro.

#20 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17437 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:19 PM

View PostTlcchinps, on 05 July 2017 - 01:13 AM, said:

Dropbox is fine but it takes extract time to save the photos in gallery. It is much easier with iCloud. I just did it on my iPad Pro.

What the Frak?  Did I throw the baby out with the bathwater while cleaning out spammers?  Tlcchinps, create another account.  Sorry about that.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat