Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6175 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:20 PM

View PostRev-O, on 22 August 2010 - 03:00 PM, said:

Some creepy looking monsters, but from beginning to end a senseless movie. But better to devote 8 years of your life to Legion than however long Cameron devoted to Avatard.
You mean Blue Space Pocahontas Dances With Wolves in Fern Gully?

I actually enjoyed James Cameron's Avatar the Game more than James Cameron's Avatar. Exploring Pandora while gunning down smurfs FTW.

That movie's ham-fistedness among other things inspired me to Root for the Empire.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 8086K / 32GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN V 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#742 alldaveallen

alldaveallen

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 630 posts
  • Location:Somewhere between the computer, the fridge and the nursery

Posted 29 August 2010 - 02:22 PM

Watched "Hot Tub Time Machine" and "Zombieland." I would describe both films as near-misses. "Hot Tub" somehow didn't quite get the tone right... I think it was in some senses meant to be an homage to '80's sex comedies like "Hot Dog - The Movie" and so on, but it was a little too dark and creepy.

"Zombieland" wasn't quite funny enough to be a comedy and wasn't quite scary enough to be a horror/action flick. Woody Harrelson did a fine job, though.

Neither one is terrible, in fact compared to a lot of movies they're pretty good, but I wouldn't put either one at the top of your Netflix queue.

#743 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1216 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:02 PM

The Human Spark. Three part series examining human evolution and what the 'spark' is that separates us from the other species of humans and hominids. Starring Alan Alda, originally a PBS series, available on Dvd. Very good stuff, but being a year and a half old doesn't have the absolute latest information but it is still current enough to make it a fascinating bit of viewing.

#744 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 06:27 PM

Watched "Surrogates" last night.  It was an interesting concept based on the current online culture.  It wasn't very realistic in the sense that the image they created couldn't exist because it would have fallen apart long before the point at which it was represented.  The premise is that most people have a robot surrogate that goes out into the world for work and play while the user stays at home logged into the robot, seeing what it sees, hearing what it hears, and controlling all it's actions.  Most all surrogates are young and beautiful, with people choosing whatever race and sex they want.  A minority of people refuse to use them and they have fallen into squalor because they are out of the mainstream and considered useless to society.  There is a clash of cultures and a murder because of this, and the protagonist must solve the crime in the environment described.

Bruce Willis stars in this action murder mystery and does well enough.  But what I really liked, and as it was done so well it might not be appreciated because it won't be noticed, was the excellent job they did of CGIing a young Bruce Willis face on a young fit actors body who played Bruce's surrogate.  It seemed to be flawlessly done and very convincing.  Also of note was the Steve Jobs like person who created the surrogates.  The similarities were quite intentional and I got a kick out of that.  Another thing I rather enjoyed was a person who's surrogate was in the shop and they had to use a crappy loaner.  

As with most movies these days, it's not worth paying full admission in a theatre to see, but for a buck it was money well enough spent.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#745 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:45 AM

Next week we are watching The Prisoner of Zenda.  There are two version on the DVD:  the 1937 version (with Ronald Colman and Madeleine Carroll) and the 1952 version (starring Stewart Granger and Deborah Kerr).  Any recommendations such as ditch the X version cause it sucks?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#746 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:53 AM

View Postalldaveallen, on 29 August 2010 - 02:22 PM, said:

Watched "Hot Tub Time Machine" and "Zombieland." I would describe both films as near-misses. "Hot Tub" somehow didn't quite get the tone right... I think it was in some senses meant to be an homage to '80's sex comedies like "Hot Dog - The Movie" and so on, but it was a little too dark and creepy.

<snip>

Neither one is terrible, in fact compared to a lot of movies they're pretty good, but I wouldn't put either one at the top of your Netflix queue.

Haven't seen Zombieland, so I can't add to that discussion, but I have to disagree and say that Hot Tub Time Machine is terrible.  I started the movie not caring about any of the characters and at the end of the movie, I still didn't care.  I would think that I was supposed to like or perhaps just feel sorry for at least one of them, but not so much.  I also would think that I was supposed to laugh at the movie, at least once every 10-15 minutes or so, but again, not so much.

And finally - this movie is supposed to be an homage to 80's movies (or perhaps the 80's themselves), it stars John Frakking Cusack and it takes place at a ski resort.  Despite all this, it contains not one single reference to Better Off Dead.  Not one!!  That, my friends, is an epic fail.

#747 alldaveallen

alldaveallen

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 630 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:07 PM

View PostTibur, on 30 August 2010 - 10:53 AM, said:

Haven't seen Zombieland, so I can't add to that discussion, but I have to disagree and say that Hot Tub Time Machine is terrible.  I started the movie not caring about any of the characters and at the end of the movie, I still didn't care.  I would think that I was supposed to like or perhaps just feel sorry for at least one of them, but not so much.  I also would think that I was supposed to laugh at the movie, at least once every 10-15 minutes or so, but again, not so much.

And finally - this movie is supposed to be an homage to 80's movies (or perhaps the 80's themselves), it stars John Frakking Cusack and it takes place at a ski resort.  Despite all this, it contains not one single reference to Better Off Dead.  Not one!!  That, my friends, is an epic fail.

Actually, I think someone says "Two Dollars!" right as Cusack and co. walk onto the ski slopes. But you're right, it's a pretty crap movie.

#748 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:08 AM

Saw 'The Prestige' the other night. Excellent!

AMD Phenom II X4, Win 7 64

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#749 alldaveallen

alldaveallen

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 630 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:17 AM

Watched "The Ghost Writer" last night. A quite good, albeit slow, political thriller. (More intellectual than physical).  What I appreciated about it is that no one did anything really stupid--going into dark rooms without a flashlight, telling the whole story to someone who turn out to be the bad guy, etc.  Recommended.

#750 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:45 AM

View Postalldaveallen, on 30 August 2010 - 04:07 PM, said:

Actually, I think someone says "Two Dollars!" right as Cusack and co. walk onto the ski slopes. But you're right, it's a pretty crap movie.
You may be right, but I'm not willing to watch it again to find out.  ;)