• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2145 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:50 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 09 November 2017 - 10:46 AM, said:

Why I oughta...

I thought they just replaced all your parts with carbon fiber pencils so you're good as new.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#23 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:47 PM

Not all my parts, just my favorite part.  I got my part back today though, I'm never letting that part fall into enemy hands again.  Gads I hate the vets office.  Gogdamn tuna in my carrier fools me every time.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#24 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1796 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:30 PM

View PostFrost, on 09 November 2017 - 12:30 AM, said:

Awesome! Now I can not play WoW while everyone bugs me to play it all over again. :P

Dude! Let's play WoW! Come on. You know you want to. Vanilla grinding ftw! Who doesn't love old school time wasting and inconvenience? I am so there!

I'm a huntard and I don't care... I take my pet with me everywhere!

My schedule is very flexible with high availability. Why, just ask macdude22 and the Battle Cat. They'll tell ya.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#25 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:58 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 10 November 2017 - 09:30 PM, said:

Dude! Let's play WoW! Come on. You know you want to. Vanilla grinding ftw! Who doesn't love old school time wasting and inconvenience? I am so there!

I'm a huntard and I don't care... I take my pet with me everywhere!

My schedule is very flexible with high availability. Why, just ask macdude22 and the Battle Cat. They'll tell ya.

Oh he's great!  Getting an invite response from Harry is like putting a note in a bottle and throwing it in a landfill.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#26 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Steam Name:Triton
  • Steam ID:triton98

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:27 PM

I've touched WoW once and I don't think I'll ever touch it again, but this seems like a pretty cool thing for people that like it.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

My GOG name is ipickert55, feel free to add me!

#27 cleansanchez

cleansanchez

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:38 AM

Not sure exactly why but I keep coming back to WoW every so often. Heck I must have paid a fortune for subs over the years lol.

In a sense I think it is the whimsical and colourful nature of their graphics as well as the mix of humour and seriousness in their questing and storylines.

Other RPGs have much better graphics and really intense storylines but still WoW keeps my interest.

The often camp / "space opera" / "cowboys and indians" style of story telling will never win artistic awards.

As a young boy people used to devour these "penny dreadful" (as they were called where I am from) pamphlet style "western" stories of 50 to 100 pages and invariably featuring a cowboy and occasionally an indian too. You could immerse yourself to an extent and they were enjoyable little efforts and I kind of think that WoW is built upon all of that.

Sadly, to keep things interesting and constantly evolving Blizzard have had to load the game with all manner of activities. Including its own version of Pokemon.

The simplicity and flaws of classic will be a nice return.

I am suddenly enthused again and have so far spent the last couple of months writing new and adapting old AddOns specifically for Vanilla. Love my programming! Thankfully proof-of-concept can be tested on free Vanilla servers at the moment!

#28 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3979 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:20 AM

View Postcleansanchez, on 10 January 2018 - 03:38 AM, said:

I am suddenly enthused again and have so far spent the last couple of months writing new and adapting old AddOns specifically for Vanilla. Love my programming! Thankfully proof-of-concept can be tested on free Vanilla servers at the moment!
Is it expected that they'll use the old server/client setup, and not some bastard child of the vanilla setup mixed with the current server/client setup and old skins, maps, whatever?
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#29 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1796 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:30 AM

Just say no to MMOs. They are like cheap dog food loaded with filler and other low quality ingredients with the exception of EverQuest back in its glory days. Ultima Online was also great early on from what I understand but I cannot vouch for that as I never played it. Those games started off being socially focused on shared adventure and not on loot.

That said, I have to confess I was sorely tempted to try ESO but fortunately loot boxes drove me away from this folly. Playing hundreds of hours of Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, the Fallout series and so on is a far less expensive and far more enjoyable experience.

Take it from one who is a decade behind on excellence due to the empty, life and money sucking waste that are most MMO games.

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to shame myself with a complete reversal of this view should I fall prey again to my former addiction. One day at a time I choose to play better games.

#30 ipickert55

ipickert55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:32 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 10 January 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

Just say no to MMOs. They are like cheap dog food loaded with filler and other low quality ingredients with the exception of EverQuest back in its glory days. Ultima Online was also great early on from what I understand but I cannot vouch for that as I never played it. Those games started off being socially focused on shared adventure and not on loot.

That said, I have to confess I was sorely tempted to try ESO but fortunately loot boxes drove me away from this folly. Playing hundreds of hours of Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, the Fallout series and so on is a far less expensive and far more enjoyable experience.

Take it from one who is a decade behind on excellence due to the empty, life and money sucking waste that are most MMO games.

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to shame myself with a complete reversal of this view should I fall prey again to my former addiction. One day at a time I choose to play better games.

I have a much more limited experience with MMO's but I would mostly agree here nonetheless. They are a shallow experience that gives little reward, at least relative to other single player or multiplayer games. I can understand how some people might find them enjoyable, but I just can't share that opinion. We all have limited time on this earth and I feel like playing an MMO is throwing my time down the drain.

#31 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 336 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:21 AM

View Postipickert55, on 12 January 2018 - 03:32 AM, said:

I have a much more limited experience with MMO's but I would mostly agree here nonetheless. They are a shallow experience that gives little reward, at least relative to other single player or multiplayer games. I can understand how some people might find them enjoyable, but I just can't share that opinion. We all have limited time on this earth and I feel like playing an MMO is throwing my time down the drain.

Fair to say I disagree with this opinion. I've been playing WoW casually since its inception (yes, it is possible to play something casually for 14-ish years!), and I don't regret any of it. It's a harmless, enjoyable hobby when taken in moderation.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#32 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1796 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:58 AM

View Postnick68k, on 12 January 2018 - 10:21 AM, said:

Fair to say I disagree with this opinion. I've been playing WoW casually since its inception (yes, it is possible to play something casually for 14-ish years!), and I don't regret any of it. It's a harmless, enjoyable hobby when taken in moderation.

That I can understand and was how I spent my final years playing. If I played again, it would be the same way which for me boils down to a relaxed, primarily if not exclusively solo experience. I used to joke about being retired in game and go off fishing, exploring or gathering, crafting, etc. One good thing about this was how it was just as low key as playing solitaire for me and about as mindless too. Step off the treadmills so many players get caught up in and there is merit in some of these sandboxes. Since my last nostalgia trip to Norrath some time ago however, Iíve just come to prefer other experiences that for me offer more meat on their bones. I am probably permanently burned out from my years of high end raiding and the incredible number of hours I spent on it which was actually the good part for me, raiding in EverQuest where upgrades were nice but very rare and had lasting value. The real draw was the shared adventure and intensity of the raiding gameplay. The problem was the time commitment.

#33 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 336 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:09 AM

That's pretty much how I play DH50 - I haven't raided in over a decade. What I do is enjoy the game world for what it is; sounds lame, but I have a lot of fun just flying around the various maps, gathering resources, collecting old gear sets for transmog and slowly levelling up alts.

#34 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:34 AM

You know, I've never played WoW.  I keep hearing stories like you guys are telling, basically that you tend to regret spending so much time on it even though you were very engaged at the time you did.  Over the years, even from the beginning, people have fired warning shots across my bow and I've taken heed.  I have too much of a problem with addictive playing not to.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#35 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 336 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:23 PM

I'm glad WoW wasn't a thing when I was in college. Back then IRC was enough of a time-waster. But now, as Edith Piaf sang, je ne regrette rien.

#36 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1796 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:20 PM

View Postnick68k, on 12 January 2018 - 11:09 AM, said:

That's pretty much how I play DH50 - I haven't raided in over a decade. What I do is enjoy the game world for what it is; sounds lame, but I have a lot of fun just flying around the various maps, gathering resources, collecting old gear sets for transmog and slowly levelling up alts.

Honestly, that doesnít sound lame at all to me. I think thatís the best way to play an MMO perhaps after one time around with end game stuff early on. Retired raiders have more fun, not to mention time for other worthy pursuits.

#37 ipickert55

ipickert55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:44 AM

View Postnick68k, on 12 January 2018 - 10:21 AM, said:

That's perfect, I'm glad there are a ton of people that enjoy that genre. The magic just doesn't work for me however.

#38 G_Player

G_Player

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:59 PM

I'd sign-up for vanilla WoW IF they don't charge an arm and a leg. I won't pay the price for a new game plus a hefty monthly subscription on top of it.
When you add the monthly cost of high speed internet access, it's just too much to pay to play a game.
Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff!

#39 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1796 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:37 PM

View PostG_Player, on 14 January 2018 - 12:59 PM, said:

I'd sign-up for vanilla WoW IF they don't charge an arm and a leg. I won't pay the price for a new game plus a hefty monthly subscription on top of it.
When you add the monthly cost of high speed internet access, it's just too much to pay to play a game.

Iíd expect it to simply be a special server although some download may be needed to return the zones to pre-cataclysm state.

#40 cleansanchez

cleansanchez

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:29 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 12 January 2018 - 11:34 AM, said:

You know, I've never played WoW.  I keep hearing stories like you guys are telling, basically that you tend to regret spending so much time on it even though you were very engaged at the time you did.  Over the years, even from the beginning, people have fired warning shots across my bow and I've taken heed.  I have too much of a problem with addictive playing not to.

Exactly. Too late for me. Cannot... resist... the... temptation.... aaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!!