DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1789 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:01 AM

I would still maintain that neither input nor design are major problems. Apple already sells keyboards along with Logitech and others I imagine for iOS devices. Controllers for iOS gaming are available too. Iím not disagreeing with you entirely about some transitional changes being needed in some cases. I can easily imagine that being the case but it is not a major problem that would hinder movement in this direction.

Again, comparisons to Microsoftís missteps donít really apply here. Those guys were trying to water down windows basically and the results sucked. Apple wonít be doing that as referenced by Tim Cookís remarks which I believe to be deliberately vague. What he has said can remain completely true while still side loading change into the equation.

Microsoftís big mistake was to try to create one operating system to run on everything or at least the same user interface. They should have left Windows alone and created something new for mobile, like Apple did and will almost certainly continue to do indefinitely as of this point in time.

I donít think Macs are watered down by new products even if lower end Macs are cannibalized by them. People needing a powerful Mac running macOS will still have that option. It isnít like some Mac Pro on ARM is up for discussion here, you know? And when you need a powerful notebook Mac, do you shop the new slim underpowered MacBook line or perhaps an Air? No, you get a MacBook Pro. If you are doing serious video production or whatever on the desktop, is the low end iMac with an Intel GPU going to cut it? No. Itís these low end systems that could go ARM with iOS and it would not represent any loss to the market needing real power at all. Itís just providing new options to users at the lower end of the scale who stand to benefit from them in various ways or Apple wouldnít be doing it.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#142 Spike

Spike

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:16 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 15 May 2018 - 06:01 AM, said:

I would still maintain that neither input nor design are major problems.

It is exactly this - interfaces and input - that Tim Cook is talking about that there would be unwanted compromises in this support. There is no way Apple would do this, fortunately.

#143 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1789 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:54 AM

New devices, not changed devices means the above issue does not exist.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell