Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:01 PM

Well that's the thing in the past viruses have been written to infect boot sectors and master boot records but where is the virus to infect apple's bootloader and obliterate all mounted drives? If such a thing happened it'd be all over the news. And how many boot sector viruses have been written to affect non microsoft file systems or even in general?

Your windows partition though yes, that is at risk from potential viruses.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#162 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:14 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on April 6th 2006, 05:01 PM, said:

Well that's the thing in the past viruses have been written to infect boot sectors and master boot records but where is the virus to infect apple's bootloader and obliterate all mounted drives?

How hard should I look? This took me 30 seconds of googling, and is an example of a virus that affects local and networked drives:

<http://www.avast.com...32magistr.html>

It may not be a current "in the wild" virus (I don't have time to scour the net reading descriptions on thousands of Win32 viruses), but that's not to say one doesn't exist or could not be written.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#163 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3513 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:20 PM

Virus writing used to be pure, but now they've all sold out to The Man, dude! It's all about the profit these days, not the simple joy of wanton destruction!

#164 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:21 PM

View Posttthiel, on April 6th 2006, 04:05 PM, said:

There is no way no how that current Windows viruses, Trojans, or spywar can affect a mac

There has been at least one Windows program (let alone virus) that writes willy-nilly to the MBT, and that kind of thing would make your Mac OS just as unbootable as Windows. Of course, the argument isn't about 'it hasn't been done before' (I wonder why not?), but 'can it be done in the future'. Of course it could happen in the future.

#165 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:28 PM

View PostBrad Oliver, on April 6th 2006, 06:14 PM, said:

How hard should I look? This took me 30 seconds of googling, and is an example of a virus that affects local and networked drives:

<http://www.avast.com...32magistr.html>

It may not be a current "in the wild" virus (I don't have time to scour the net reading descriptions on thousands of Win32 viruses), but that's not to say one doesn't exist or could not be written.

Obviously not hard enough because you didn't find one that specifically targets the configuration in question.
This still doesn't prove that there is a virus made to target apples bootloader and toast all mounted drives. Maybe one can me made, but at this point it's unlikely.

Also some people here are assuming that people are mounting their hfs volumes with a utlitity with read\write permission and how many people are doing that?
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#166 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:29 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on April 6th 2006, 07:28 PM, said:

Obviously not hard enough because you didn't find one that specifically targets the configuration in question.

I'm have to say that that's a ridiculous response.  The configuration in question has only been out for a day!
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#167 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:35 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on April 6th 2006, 06:29 PM, said:

I'm have to say that that's a ridiculous response.  The configuration in question has only been out for a day!

Don't you think I know that? The whole thing is that someone is worried that there is currently one and that simply having windows around puts their entire computer at risk.
My point is that you don't have to worry about such things if you have proper computing habits especially if you don't mount your hfs drive with read\write permission.

How many viruses are written to affect mac partitioned drives? Those viruses written to affect all mounted drives assume microsoft format and files. Again show me the virus that toasts someones linux partition.

Personally I don't like dealing with what if's because you can say just about anything as what if.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#168 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:51 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on April 6th 2006, 05:28 PM, said:

This still doesn't prove that there is a virus made to target apples bootloader and toast all mounted drives. Maybe one can me made, but at this point it's unlikely.

I'm not trying to prove one exists now. I'm just saying it's possible. And related to that, who cares if it targets the bootloader? If it trashes that, big deal. It's the data on the filesystems themselves that is important to pretty much everyone. The bootloader is a) easily replaced and b) not an attractive target for virus writers.

It still assumes that people are mounting their hfs volumes with a utlitity with read\write permission and how many people are doing that?

Gee, I don't know. It's been, what, 36 hours since Boot Camp was released? Listen, if you want to make the argument that no such virus exists today, great. I think that's a sound argument and I'm inclined to agree since I don't care to read up on a thousand different viruses to see if one exists. But it's pretty carefree to say that it's not possible or not likely without a crystal ball, given that it's happened before.

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on April 6th 2006, 05:35 PM, said:

Those viruses written to affect all mounted drives assume microsoft format and files.

So you're saying it's impossible for a virus to erase a text file on a mounted filesystem, because it has to be in "Microsoft" format? Do you know what that even means?
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#169 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:59 PM

View PostBrad Oliver, on April 6th 2006, 06:49 PM, said:

I'm not trying to prove one exists now. I'm just saying it's possible. And related to that, who cares if it targets the bootloader? If it trashes that, big deal. It's the data on the filesystems themselves that is important to pretty much everyone. The bootloader is a) easily replaced and b) not an attractive target for virus writers.
Gee, I don't know. It's been, what, 36 hours since Boot Camp was released? Listen, if you want to make the argument that no such virus exists today, great. I think that's a sound argument and I'm inclined to agree since I don't care to read up on a thousand different viruses to see if one exists. But it's pretty carefree to say that it's not possible or not likely without a crystal ball, given that it's happened before.

My point is that it's not your typical windows was installed first multiboot system.
That being said it's just something we'll have to see and not start crying the sky is falling right this second. Just having XP around doesn't automatically put all your other OS' partitions at risk. Otherwise we'd be hearing more linux users for example trashing their XP partition for that reason alone. There has been plenty of time for something to happen with that type of setup.

View PostBrad Oliver, on April 6th 2006, 06:51 PM, said:

So you're saying it's impossible for a virus to erase a text file on a mounted filesystem, because it has to be in "Microsoft" format? Do you know what that even means?

I meant .exe files compared to .app files, etc. for example the one virus you showed me infects all .exe files. But would a typical PC virus writer who doesn't own a mac (the majority of them) even know what to do with an app file if it where somehow made accessible to windows? I wasn't talking about deleting a randon text file and you don't need a virus to do that.

It still assumes there will be enough people to mount their hfs drives in windows to make a signifigant impact. Sure in the future anything is possible but that shouldn't stop you from taking advantage of this dual boot capability if you feel you could make use of it.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#170 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:47 PM

ok, lets run with this idea:

wanton desctruction virus that also deletes all mounted drives?

that way they get the best of all worlds, and can try and destroy anything and everything...

and linux isnt (as far as i can see) as high profile as apple and OSX. so hackers are now more likely to target OSX, especially with its popular status as the be all and end all of avoiding viruses (not true).
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#171 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:58 PM

View Postteflon, on April 6th 2006, 07:47 PM, said:

ok, lets run with this idea:

wanton desctruction virus that also deletes all mounted drives?

that way they get the best of all worlds, and can try and destroy anything and everything...
and linux isnt (as far as i can see) as high profile as apple and OSX. so hackers are now more likely to target OSX, especially with its popular status as the be all and end all of avoiding viruses (not true).

Hell let's take it one step further, wanton destruction virus that deletes all mounted and unmounted drives, eats all the food in your fridge and runs off with your gf! =p

P.S. Linux also shares the status as be all and end all of avoiding viruses and there probably won't be enough mac dual booters who mount their hfs volumes to represent a bigger market than dual booted linux boxes anyway.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#172 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:26 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on April 6th 2006, 08:59 PM, said:

Just having XP around doesn't automatically put all your other OS' partitions at risk.

Are you kidding?  Just having a boxed copy of XP in the same room with you, still in shrink-wrap and everything, makes you contract the bird flu.  Everyone knows that!  It's a true fact!

--Eric

#173 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:33 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on April 6th 2006, 05:59 PM, said:

Just having XP around doesn't automatically put all your other OS' partitions at risk.

As Apple said, it puts your computer at risk of everything that XP is - including a random virus that could harm your Mac OS X partition. Are you claiming otherwise?

Otherwise we'd be hearing more linux users for example trashing their XP partition for that reason alone

And there are tons of cases where installing Windows, running certain Windows programs, getting certain Windows viruses, etc. has trashed the Linux install sitting next to it - there is a legitimate if unlikely risk.

would a typical PC virus writer who doesn't own a mac (the majority of them) even know what to do with an app file

There have been Mac viruses before, so obviously the 'typical PC virus writer' doesn't even have to enter into it.

#174 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3513 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:44 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on April 7th 2006, 11:58 AM, said:

Hell let's take it one step further, wanton destruction virus that deletes all mounted and unmounted drives, eats all the food in your fridge and runs off with your gf! =p
I really do have to conclude that no one cares about causing destruction. Or at least, no one who really knows what they're doing. The most destructive malware to date has been clumsy at best. A well-designed attack would use several different vectors (preferably including more than one 0-day exploit), and could be in control of virtually all vulnerable machines on the Internet in under 15 minutes, write itself to firmware so it survives OS reinstallation, and gradually corrupt data in subtle ways so that nothing appears to be wrong for quite a while, giving the bad data time to make its way into backups.

But it's all about maintaining botnets, to send spam and run DDoS attacks (for protection rackets).

P.S. Linux also shares the status as be all and end all of avoiding viruses.
SELinux maybe. And don't forget OpenBSD.

#175 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:47 PM

View Postbobbob, on April 6th 2006, 08:33 PM, said:

As Apple said, it puts your computer at risk of everything that XP is - including a random virus that could harm your Mac OS X partition. Are you claiming otherwise?
And there are tons of cases where installing Windows, running certain Windows programs, getting certain Windows viruses, etc. has trashed the Linux install sitting next to it - there is a legitimate if unlikely risk.
There have been Mac viruses before, so obviously the 'typical PC virus writer' doesn't even have to enter into it.

For what? OS 9 or below? All the so called OS X viruses made lately are more like social engineering than viruses. Hell someone could write a bash script to rm -rf / after asking for your password and pass it off as a virus.

Apple didn't specifically say that the virus could put your OS X partition at risk. It's common sense that your XP partition would be at risk.

Show me one case where windows viruses have trashed the linux install sitting next to it. It's easy to just say it just like saying well, monkeys will fly out of my butt.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#176 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:47 PM

View PostTesseract, on April 6th 2006, 07:44 PM, said:

...A well-designed attack would use several different vectors (preferably including more than one 0-day exploit), and could be in control of virtually all vulnerable machines on the Internet in under 15 minutes, write itself to firmware so it survives OS reinstallation, and gradually corrupt data in subtle ways so that nothing appears to be wrong for quite a while, giving the bad data time to make its way into backups...

Gee, why does this remind me of a certain sci-fi trilogy? :P Just a wee bit far-fetched.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#177 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:56 PM

View PostTesseract, on April 6th 2006, 08:44 PM, said:

SELinux maybe. And don't forget OpenBSD.

Show me one virus that infects any modern distribution it's not just SELinux or OpenBSD. I mean you don't need SELinux to avoid a virus in Linux.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#178 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:05 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on April 6th 2006, 07:47 PM, said:

Apple didn't specifically say that the virus could put your OS X partition at risk

Well, no, they said it puts your Mac at risk of the same kind of attacks, such as this Word Macro virus that clobbers the MBR (and probably makes your computer unable to boot and erases the partition table - try it and see!). Again, I'm not saying that there is indeed something known to clobber a Mac OSX or Linux partition (not being able to boot and having to scrounge for partition info is bad enough), just that it's possible, which it is. Do you dispute that?

#179 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:18 PM

View Postbobbob, on April 6th 2006, 09:05 PM, said:

Well, no, they said it puts your Mac at risk of the same kind of attacks, such as this Word Macro virus that clobbers the MBR (and probably makes your computer unable to boot and erases the partition table - try it and see!). Again, I'm not saying that there is indeed something known to clobber a Mac OSX or Linux partition (not being able to boot and having to scrounge for partition info is bad enough), just that it's possible, which it is. Do you dispute that?

Take a look here at:

http://www.sarc.com/...m.killboot.html

Type: Macro
Systems Affected: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP
Systems Not Affected: Windows 3.x, Microsoft IIS, Macintosh, Unix, Linux

It's not even a big threat in the wild! Although I have said in the future probably anything is possible but it's best not to live your life in fear of the future. Also If I've said it before I'll say it again also it is possible to avoid viruses with proper computing habits.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#180 Siriusfox

Siriusfox

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts
  • Steam Name:opensiriusfox

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:30 PM

All of this is really confusing. But I was under the impresion that the M$ Windoze boot you would not be able to even see the OSX Partition of the drive because it was in an HSF+ format isnted of FAT. Is this true or is it not?
20'' iMac Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 10.6.5, 2GB RAM, 256MB ATI X1600

"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." -Doug Larson