32 replies to this topic

#1 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 12:26 PM

So there's this new gaming subscription service. I post this here because apparently, Apple Arcade will support the Mac.
I see no major developer, no Feral, no Aspyr...
What I see is a bunch of casual games of mediocre quality (they may be considered high quality for mobile games, but mobile games are trash in general, so...).
What do you think?

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8477 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 25 March 2019 - 01:13 PM

Apparently, Sega, Konami, Disney, and LEGO are on board. I'd call that major.

Also, one of the videos offhandedly drops the announcement of a sequel to the classic point-and-click adventure "Beneath a Steel Sky" right at the beginning – which looks anything but a casual game:

That said, as long as we don't know anything about pricing, international availability, and details about the games, I remain sceptical.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 01:22 PM

I would't consider Disney and Lego major game developers. Konami yes. Sega... they're only a shadow of what they used to be.

#4 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8477 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 01:30 PM

View Postjeannot, on 25 March 2019 - 01:22 PM, said:

Sega... they're only a shadow of what they used to be.
Don't forget that SEGA owns Relic (Dawn of War, Company of Heroes) and Creative Assembly (Total War), and also owns franchises like Yakuza and Bayonetta.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#5 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2312 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 March 2019 - 01:53 PM

The presentation telling us that there will be announcements sometime later with pricing and availability. gj.

I don't know enough about this to decided how I feel. I will say Arcade was the most interesting thing in a snoozer of a presentation.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#6 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 415 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 02:00 PM

The titanium, glyph-free Apple credit card looked like a desirable artefact to own. (Not that I'd ever use the thing for its intended purpose).
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#7 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8477 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 02:19 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 25 March 2019 - 01:53 PM, said:

I will say Arcade was the most interesting thing in a snoozer of a presentation.
It was even worse for as Europeans, as neither News+ nor the Apple credit card, nor the Apple TV Channels will be available on this side of the Atlantic (Apple TV+ apparently will be).

#8 devSin

devSin

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 02:27 PM

I think they have to work on all devices, so it's just going to be mobile games, maybe with the rare desktop game that scales to mobile devices somehow.

#9 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8477 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 03:24 PM

View PostdevSin, on 25 March 2019 - 02:27 PM, said:

I think they have to work on all devices, so it's just going to be mobile games, maybe with the rare desktop game that scales to mobile devices somehow.
At least two of the showcased games (The Pathless and Overland) had already been announced for PS4 and/or Windows a while ago.

#10 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2312 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 25 March 2019 - 07:07 PM

View Postnick68k, on 25 March 2019 - 02:00 PM, said:

The titanium, glyph-free Apple credit card looked like a desirable artefact to own. (Not that I'd ever use the thing for its intended purpose).

Ya the bennies are not much better (or worse) than my costco citi (worse really, I get 4% on gas with costco and I drive a lot) but I may sign up to get the apple cut titanium card.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#11 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2830 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 10:13 PM

Glenda Adams (and Peter Cohen) pointed out that the big shocker is that Apple is actually going to pay developers to develop games for the Arcade. Glenda says Apple adamantly refused to do this in the past for fear of publishers like Valve demanding to be paid for their games as well.

From a game player's point of view I'm not all that excited (yet). But Apple actually taking a step to bring more games to Mac, however small, should be celebrated. Presumably such games wouldn't be locked indefinitely to Arcade.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#12 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1681 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 26 March 2019 - 12:02 AM

Pretty excited about the Beneath a Steel Sky sequel, though Iíll probably get it on Steam. The original is great.

#13 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 05:09 AM

Apple Arcade games are supposed to run on all Apple platforms. So unless developers spend some time optimizing their games for the Mac instead of using some compatibility layer (Marzipan), which I doubt they will, these games won't run very well at all except the most basic ones. An AX SoC and a PC CPU+GPU are different beasts. You cannot just use the same Metal code and hope it runs well on both.
Thanksfully, there is one company that is specialized in Mac/iOS ports. You know, Feral Interactive.
What? Feral aren't part of the deal? How awkward.

BTW, I see that some Lego games will be on the service. Does it mean the Mac versions of these games will come directly from Lego? Personally, I wouldn't mind if Feral had more time on their hands to port other games.

#14 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2830 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:05 AM

So unless developers spend some time optimizing their games for the Mac instead of using some compatibility layer (Marzipan), which I doubt they will, these games won't run very well at all except the most basic ones.

What's "most basic" though? We are all heavy gamers here so our definitions tend to be skewed. There are some great games that work fine on both Mac and iOS, like: Gorogoa, The Witness, Limbo, XCom, even Civ 6. There are others like Monument Valley that were never released for Mac but would have worked fine. Beautiful, imaginative games.

Feral aren't part of the deal? How awkward.
I would have liked to see them there. But Feral are already bringing lots of games to the Mac, and either they don't need Apple's help, or Apple's terms weren't favorable enough. For a less established developer this could make a difference. It might even lead to occasional Mac-first releases. Apple is also getting left behind on AR and virtual reality, and this might help them stay in the game.

This is also attempts to find a way out of the microtransactions-and-ads hell that Apple accidentally helped unleash on the world. For that reason alone I want it to succeed.

Okay, so that's the optimistic view. I'd say at this point I'm unlikely to sign up myself. I have a large backlog of games and I don't get around to new ones that quickly. I'm also guessing that the target audience is families with kids, for whom this could be a good deal. But I'm looking forward to seeing the actual lineup and price.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#15 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:02 AM

Oprah!
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#16 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4173 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:07 AM

Feral, get in here and comment!
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#17 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:49 AM

One could argue Feral and Asypr are not developers, they are porting houses, as in: they don't own the IPs.
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

#18 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:27 AM

Feral are also a game publisher.

#19 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1681 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:32 AM

View Postjeannot, on 26 March 2019 - 10:27 AM, said:

Feral are also a game publisher.

And Aspyr...

#20 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:33 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 26 March 2019 - 07:05 AM, said:

What's "most basic" though? We are all heavy gamers here so our definitions tend to be skewed. There are some great games that work fine on both Mac and iOS, like: Gorogoa, The Witness, Limbo, XCom, even Civ 6. There are others like Monument Valley that were never released for Mac but would have worked fine. Beautiful, imaginative games.
I meant "basic" in terms of system requirements. I know that some games run well on many platforms, but the developers were not mandated to release a Mac version. That's a big difference with what appears to be case in Apple Arcade.
Some of the examples you cite involve porting houses that have made their business porting games to the Mac or iOS. Not iOS-focused studios that never cared much about the Mac. Other games use an engine that's already cross-platform (and which may be the solution to most porting issues).