#21 threebkk

threebkk

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 11:02 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 23 April 2020 - 10:05 PM, said:

I have music that I bought from Apple shortly after the iTunes Store went online. 2003-2004. 16 years later I can still play all of it…

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini

And, if one day, you decide that you're no-longer willing, or no-longer able, to participate in The Forced March, do you predict that you'll still be able to access whatever purchases you have which:
a) reside only on Apple's servers
b) do not reside on your HD?

#22 threebkk

threebkk

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 12:16 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 23 April 2020 - 10:05 PM, said:

How does it put you at risk?

Good question.
Thanks for asking.
I'll give you a closely-related example: Hard Drives.

There has been an industry-wide push to eliminate user-owned, high-capacity HDs.

If a naive minority of users gets onto the “cloud” bandwagon, it's not a risk to me.
If around half sign-up, it's still maybe not a risk to me.
But, if a majority, I don't know what percentage is required, sign-up, then I'm suddenly put at-risk even though my own behavior hasn't changed.

What happens is that the market, meaning the money, follows the people who are willing to store all their data on private servers. People such as myself, who know it to be a trap, then are screwed because it forces the market for hard drives to adjust, meaning disappear, and they are no-longer sold, or are still sold but become far more expensive as a niche product. Generally, even these very expensive, niche products disappear forever.

When that happens, I'm forced-out of my ability to store data on my own terms. Either I don't store my data anymore, or I am forced to give-in and get on private servers.

So, you tell me: How does it put me at risk?

#23 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2941 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 24 April 2020 - 02:55 PM

View Postthreebkk, on 24 April 2020 - 10:37 AM, said:

May not be true.
Or, it may be true.
Are you inside of Apple's iTunes team? If you can verify that Apple didn't proactively disable all of my broken features, I would be truly grateful, but… I think it's all conjecture on your part.

No conjecture. You wrote that Apple spent more to disable the old services than if they had just left them running. That's only true for short periods of time. I'm talking about all software services, whether its iTunes, Ambrosia's game registration system, or IMG's forums.

But let's pretend for a moment that I don't know anything about software and was just guessing. Are YOU inside of Apple's iTunes team? If not, then your conjecture is no better than mine.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#24 threebkk

threebkk

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 03:01 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 24 April 2020 - 02:55 PM, said:

your conjecture is no better than mine.

Thank you for admitting that your statement was conjecture.

#25 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2941 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 24 April 2020 - 03:13 PM

View Postthreebkk, on 24 April 2020 - 11:02 AM, said:

And, if one day, you decide that you're no-longer willing, or no-longer able, to participate in The Forced March, do you predict that you'll still be able to access whatever purchases you have which:
a) reside only on Apple's servers
b) do not reside on your HD?
Why wouldn't they exist on my hard drive? I keep multiple copies of everything. AND APPLE LETS ME. It's a perfectly reasonable system, and using it is not naive.

View Postthreebkk, on 24 April 2020 - 03:01 PM, said:

Thank you for conceding that your statement was conjecture.
Since you know very well that's not what I said, clearly you are trying to make me angry.
Thank YOU for tipping your hand, troll. Now I don't need to respond to you any more.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#26 threebkk

threebkk

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 03:29 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 24 April 2020 - 03:13 PM, said:

Why wouldn't they exist on my hard drive? I keep multiple copies of everything. AND APPLE LETS ME.

You have a bad habit of contradicting your own arguments.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: itunes, apple, oops