28 replies to this topic

#21 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 03:14 PM

I live in a major metro area in the Northeast US and get about 360 mbps down on my cable connection, but Lord, do I pay for it. Thanks, Comc®a(p)-st Xfinity.
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#22 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4305 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 03 March 2020 - 09:07 AM

Tried out Geforce Now today, and was genuinely impressed. Quite amazing what they have done here, and it was working flawlessly on my 2011 iMac, which I was quite surprised about (Okay, couldn't see my cursor at first, but a single preference setting fixed that).

Fired up Warhammer Vermintide, which is quite old, but it ran with all bells and whistles activated. I selected that because it was one of the only action games I have in my Steam library, which is Windows only, and I wanted to test out an action game. It was fluid all the way through, and very responsive. I *think* I could tell that it was compressed, but still, very positive experience. My biggest caveat was really that it streamed in 1080p, which on a 27" is borderline for what I want to play with.

I think I have to test out a round of Heroes of Newerth (This will be the final responsiveness test!), or Destiny 2 soon. Is Destiny 1 required to be able to fully understand and enjoy Destiny 2? Because the lore side of the game looks great!

I have to complain about how to find games in Geforce Now though. It would be so much easier to have a list to go through, instead of having to search blind. I wonder what engineer came up with that.
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#23 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8544 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 03 March 2020 - 12:07 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 03 March 2020 - 09:07 AM, said:

Is Destiny 1 required to be able to fully understand and enjoy Destiny 2?
To some extent. Destiny 2 reintroduces you to most of the important factions, but doesn't explain much about the general backstory or events of the first game. There are good summary videos on YouTube, though, which probably do a better job explaining everything than Destiny 1 did.

Regarding GeForce Now, it's pretty disappointing that more and more publishers pull out. There aren't that many top titles left at the moment, now that Activision/Blizzard, Bethesda, and Rockstar retracted their games.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#24 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2350 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 03 March 2020 - 12:25 PM

Wait, Skyrim and WoW aren't supported on GeForce now anymore O_o. What the actual heck.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#25 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1778 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 03 March 2020 - 01:09 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 03 March 2020 - 12:25 PM, said:

Wait, Skyrim and WoW aren't supported on GeForce now anymore O_o. What the actual heck.

Yes, Bethesda and Activision both pulled out citing the lack of agreements. The Long Dark dev did it too.

I think it was a mistake for nVidia to market this as a Stadia-like. GeForce Now is not a platform, but that isn't stopping devs from treating it as such. You have to buy the games elsewhere. It's a remote PC rental service. (This was more apparent in the early beta, when you could get any game to work and you had access to the Windows desktop.)

Imagine if developers had to give you permission to use Steam Link with their game. That's what this is like.

#26 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4305 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 01:23 PM

Yeah, I'd actually buy Skyrim if I could play it on Geforce Now. And the Mass Effect trilogy. Their loss. *Shrug*

Now I just ordered a Nintendo Switch instead. (Okay, that was totally unrelated, but still!)

#27 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8544 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 21 April 2020 - 11:13 AM

Now Geforce Now has also lost all WB Interactive (e.g. Batman Arkham series, MiddleEarth), Microsoft Studios (Forza), Codemasters, and Klei Entertainment games.

Not much left…

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#28 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4305 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 11:39 AM

Poor Nvidia. Some really lousy stuff going on here, unless there's something going on we don't know about.

#29 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1778 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 22 April 2020 - 02:53 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 22 April 2020 - 11:39 AM, said:

Poor Nvidia. Some really lousy stuff going on here, unless there's something going on we don't know about.

There has to be... I canít see why companies wouldnít want their games on the service otherwise. Itís not a storefront, so there should be literally no downside. It makes your game more accessible to more people.