Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6201 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 September 2019 - 03:28 PM

View PostCougar, on 12 September 2019 - 08:00 AM, said:

Hackintoshes are a world of hurt. The Xmac will never arrive.

If your 2016 MacBook is fast enough for everything else besides gaming, IMO a gaming PC + MB is the best option. Using the best tools for the job.

Agree completely. I still vastly prefer my Mac for doing work, but the Cook era Apple is the antithesis to being an enabler of Mac gaming that the previous decade was. PC for play (and very CPU and GPU intensive work, hence the beefy CPU and workstation GPU rather than a gaming one), Mac for 90% of other work, productivity tasks, and just general use works out extremely well for me. I've got my PC workstation/gaming dual-use set up, and two workstations with Thunderbolt displays set up for my Mac and I just plug my MacBook Pro into whichever one I'm going to be using at that time and go.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 3.6 GHz i7 9900K / 32GB RAM / 2x2TB Intel 7600p (RAID0), 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN V 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#162 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1734 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 13 September 2019 - 03:41 PM

View PostFrost, on 13 September 2019 - 03:28 PM, said:

Agree completely. I still vastly prefer my Mac for doing work, but the Cook era Apple is the antithesis to being an enabler of Mac gaming that the previous decade was. PC for play (and very CPU and GPU intensive work, hence the beefy CPU and workstation GPU rather than a gaming one), Mac for 90% of other work, productivity tasks, and just general use works out extremely well for me. I've got my PC workstation/gaming dual-use set up, and two workstations with Thunderbolt displays set up for my Mac and I just plug my MacBook Pro into whichever one I'm going to be using at that time and go.

Yeah, I have something similar with a Thunderbolt 3 dock. I share the peripherals + speakers with the PC via a USB switch. Everything connects tp the MBP with one TB3 cable, which I love.

#163 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4399 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:01 AM

View PostFrost, on 13 September 2019 - 03:28 PM, said:

Right, I can't be bothered to do any 'work' on my PCs, and I can't be bothered to do any 'play' on my Macs. There is no longer black n white love/hate for macs/pcs with me anymore. I used to be pro-mac all the way or gtfo.... but, naw, not anymore. Viva la diversity. Its the millennial way.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#164 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 03:49 AM

MacMini 2011 i7Quad -> TB3 Adapter -> Sonnet eGFX 550 -> RX470 Sapphire Nitro+ 8GB VRAM -> MacOS 10.13.x
I will get the components in the next view weeks and will report how good this will be. I bought everything as used parts.
I investet about 550 USD for everything, so cheaper as a "small" blackmagic egpu.
iMac 27" Late 2012 3,4Ghz i7 NT 680MX
Macbook Air Late 2010 320M
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#165 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 11:59 AM

That sounds like a bargain.

I'm still getting by with my old Mac Pro but the fact that Mojave is the last OS for it and seeing another 10 year old machine of similar specification suffer hardware failure at work recently means I'm starting to look again at what my options are for the future.

I guess a used 2012 Mac Mini would be a possible stop gap for basic light use until any new machines are announced but the trend has been 2 to 4 years between updates on Apple desktops.

The new Mac Pro is way out of my budget and I have no need for portability so I guess I'm stuck with either an iMac (it would have to be a 27" because I'm using a 27" display on on my current machine) or a Mac Mini with an eGPU.

Given the situation with 32-bit software and games on MacOS I think I'd look this time at triple booting between Catalina (day to day use), Mojave (old Mac games etc.) and for the first time Windows for games. All on these I'd put on a separate SSD. It would be nice if VM's were an alternative but I doubt it for games.

The trouble is I'm not sure it is as simple as just booting between say the internal and two USB 3 SSD drives to change OS when using an eGPU - I can see issues with video failing back to the internal graphics and having to plug and unplug the monitor which is hassle I just don't want.

For this reason it may be the iMac is my only option which is more expensive upfront (as I can't reuse my display for now) and the internal GPU is what I already have (I'd prefer a nice step up when changing machine).

Of course with either machine I still need to find a bulk storage solution for my 16TB which is across 4 internal drives at the moment. This likely means either one huge drive (partitioned to back it up to several smaller ones) or looking at even more money for a NAS - probably OK for media storage but not to run games from..

I guess an alternative would be a small form factor PC along side the Mac Mini and switching inputs on the display although you have the issue of two keyboards and mice or an expensive KVM switch plus my existing Mac game library would run poorly on the Intel graphics.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.14

#166 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 12:15 PM

I do not want to play the newest stuff...normally I am "ten years later"...and therefore I think I am totally safe :)
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#167 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2334 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 24 October 2019 - 12:48 PM

Love my 2017 iMac + Boot Runner. Easy peasy lemon squeezy to boot to multiple device/partitions.

Did take me about a day to cut over and clean up a 10.14 drive (staring the worlds cheapest 1TB SSD from Inland Professional) but now I can 1 click boot to whatever.

I'd rather eat a shoe than waste space and be KVM swapping between a Mac and a windows box.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#168 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1734 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 07:56 AM

I’d rather eat a shoe than reboot just to play games with subpar hardware, but everybody’s different I guess.

And it’s painless to share KB/M these days with TB3 docks.

#169 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4399 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 07:59 AM

I used to do the KVM route a long long time ago... it was slow to switch back and forth at the time, and both the mac and windows would end up doing screwy stuff with the loss and regain of those devices (did I mention this was a long time ago?).

Then I just bought a new desk, and have enough room for 4 computers all within arms reach and just a swivel of my chair ;) So.... never looked back at KVM.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#170 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2334 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 08:39 AM

View PostCougar, on 25 October 2019 - 07:56 AM, said:

I'd rather eat a shoe than reboot just to play games with subpar hardware, but everybody's different I guess.

IF you got more space and time then sense go for it. For the rest of us, we'll just buy an xbox.
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#171 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1734 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 09:02 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 25 October 2019 - 08:39 AM, said:

IF you got more space and time then sense go for it. For the rest of us, we'll just buy an xbox.

Space? It’s just a box under my desk. Time? IDK what you’re off about.

#172 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4399 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 09:13 AM

View PostCougar, on 25 October 2019 - 09:02 AM, said:

Space? It's just a box under my desk. Time? IDK what you're off about.

Time setting up a second machine, maintaining it, updating it.... maybe. But dont you have to do that anyway with a dualboot? I guess it takes time to BUILD a second machine (if you dont buy a run-of-the-mill alienware or something. Yeah, that takes time and some dedication to get all the right parts and pieces and put it all together and fiddle with the bios and get up and running.

But once done.......... holy sweet gamin rig batman.

-Fm [1oM7]

#173 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1734 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 09:20 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 25 October 2019 - 09:13 AM, said:

Time setting up a second machine, maintaining it, updating it.... maybe. But dont you have to do that anyway with a dualboot? I guess it takes time to BUILD a second machine (if you dont buy a run-of-the-mill alienware or something. Yeah, that takes time and some dedication to get all the right parts and pieces and put it all together and fiddle with the bios and get up and running.

But once done.......... holy sweet gamin rig batman.

And building it, to me anyway, is fun. It’s not a means to the end, it’s part of the end itself.

But I’m one of those weirdos that watches PC building channels on YouTube for fun too. I get how building doesn’t appeal to everyone, but prebuilts are a thing and you can get decent ones these days.

#174 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2334 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 10:54 AM

Can the name of this site be changed to InsideWindowsGaming.com?

#175 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1734 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 01:42 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 25 October 2019 - 10:54 AM, said:

Can the name of this site be changed to InsideWindowsGaming.com?

Weren’t you just prompting me to buy an Xbox?

#176 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2214 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 06:59 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 25 October 2019 - 08:39 AM, said:

Nah, i'd like to actually be able to play most games that come out.

#177 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 06:09 AM

It works. Mini 2011 TB1-Cable->TB3 Adapter- Sonnet G550 RX470 8GB.
I had to use the script in order to get it work under 10.13.6.

CPU-Demanding Games are a problem (e.g. Tombraider), all other games
are really fast on that setup.
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#178 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 05 November 2019 - 06:16 PM

View Postdr.zeissler, on 04 November 2019 - 06:09 AM, said:

It works. Mini 2011 TB1-Cable->TB3 Adapter- Sonnet G550 RX470 8GB.
I had to use the script in order to get it work under 10.13.6.

CPU-Demanding Games are a problem (e.g. Tombraider), all other games
are really fast on that setup.

Where did you get a TB1/2 TO TB3 Adapter from?
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

#179 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:37 PM

This adapter is a two-way adapter. Will work to use TB 1/2 devices on a TB 3 Mac, as well as to use TB 3 devices (like an eGPU enclosure) on a TB 1/2 Mac. I use an Akitio Node eGPU with Vega 56 on my 2012 15” Retina MBP with TB 1 using this adapter and a normal TB 2 cable.

https://www.apple.co...rbolt-2-adapter

#180 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 12:01 AM

That's exactly the adapter I use.
MacMinis 2005 - 2011