8 replies to this topic

#1 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 03:24 AM

Hi, I am currently checking out, how to make older windows-games running on mac.
I downloaded winskin-winery and began my testing.

http://wineskin.urge.../tiki-index.php

First attempt: Dune 2000 (Fantastic strategy-game from 1999. Superbe graphics, sound, great atmosphere.)
All you have to do is downloading the suitable engine for the game and copy the windows-installation into the folder.
In this case you have to choose WS8WineCXG8.1.0 if you choose another engine you will get a mousepointer-error.

keep in mind:

CX Engine is built with Wine source code that was modified by Codeweavers to use in their product called Crossover. This may have changes that help compatibility with certain programs that Crossover supports.

CXG Engine is built with Wine source code that was modified by Codeweavers to use in their product called Crossover Games. This may have changes that help compatibility with certain games that Crossover Games supports.

ICE means Installable Compressed Engine. This means the engine is stored in compressed format inside of the wrapper, and when you go to run it, it will automatically install the engine onto your machine (in your home folder, Library, under Application Support and Wineskin). This comes in very handy because the same installed engine is used for every wrapper you run that has the same ICE version. Say you have 5 programs that all run fine with a certain ICE version, you can have them all share that same install, which means instead of a 100mb install of Wine inside each wrapper, there is a single one on the system... so for those 5 wrappers, instead of taking up 500mb (a half a GB) of space, you can take up a simple 100mb. Since the Engine is compressed and automatically self installing, you can still share these wrappers around to anyone you'd like. The first time they run it they'll get a little Window saying its putting the engine on their machine... depending how fast the machine is, it can take from about 10 seconds to under a minute. I like these because I can use them to test a lot, and I have a dozen or so little simple programs that can all share the same engine.

Is anyone here that also uses wineskin-winery ?

Greetings
Doc
iMac 27" Late 2012 3,4Ghz i7 NT 680MX
Macbook Air Late 2010 320M
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#2 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2987 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:20 AM

I've used it a few times over the years. The ones I remember:
  • I recently got Marble Drop working and played a couple levels. It had a graphics glitch that caused the initial screen not to draw, but all I had to do was repaint the full screen (I forget how, probably I moved or resized the window) and it played fine after that.
  • I got Tag: The Power of Paintworking without much effort (this free game is of interest to Portal 2 fans).
  • I got Thief 1 & 2 and Deus Ex working a few years back, don't recall any difficulties but again I didn't play them all the way through.
  • Giant: Citizen Kabuto didn't work quite so well, had graphics glitches throughout but was playable.
  • Telltale's Wallace & Gromit series: I believe these worked but didn't play for long, kids lost interest.
Of course some games I've _bought_ use WINE:
* System Shock 2 on Steam turned out to be a Wine wrapper. Just as well; I was able to make it run better by fiddling with the settings.
* Many older GOG games for Mac are WINE-wrapped DOS programs. ** UPDATE: I remembered this wrong, they use DOSBox **

As has been discussed before, WINE doesn't currently run on Mac OS X Catalina, so the future is in some doubt. Codeweavers is working on it (details) and I was amazed to see that they extended people's subscriptions by three months because they hadn't solved the problem yet. This implies they think they'll have it working within a few months!

I generally just use the open-source WINE. not the CodeWeavers product, but if they succeed at this in ANY timeframe I'll buy a license just to thank them.

Edit: I want to make it clear, I am by no expert on WINE ports! I fiddle with it, read tips for specific games on WineHQ.org, and just muddle through.

Edited by Matt Diamond, 07 October 2019 - 01:46 PM.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#3 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:23 AM

Perhaps not wine-wrapped dos-programs, but dosbox-wrapped dos-programs.
As you can see, the codeweaver-product comes totally free as download for wineskin winery.

Thx
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#4 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2987 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 01:45 PM

Regarding GOG Mac games:

View Postdr.zeissler, on 07 October 2019 - 11:23 AM, said:

Perhaps not wine-wrapped dos-programs, but dosbox-wrapped dos-programs.
You are quite right! I should have remembered that, given how much time I spent trying to get USB Overdrive to remap my joystick's buttons for GOG's XWing. Thanks for the correction.

Not sure if there is, or will be, a Mac 64-bit DOSBox.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#5 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2987 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 01:54 PM

View Postdr.zeissler, on 07 October 2019 - 11:23 AM, said:

As you can see, the codeweaver-product comes totally free as download for wineskin winery.

Good to know, but I'm still going to give them some money if they pull this off. It's not clear the WINE open source community cares enough about Macs to have done this work in a timely fashion, if at all.
www.mindthecube.com

#6 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2358 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 07 October 2019 - 03:43 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 07 October 2019 - 01:45 PM, said:

Regarding GOG Mac games:

You are quite right! I should have remembered that, given how much time I spent trying to get USB Overdrive to remap my joystick's buttons for GOG's XWing. Thanks for the correction.

Not sure if there is, or will be, a Mac 64-bit DOSBox.

DOSBox 0.74-2 and later are 64-bit but the traditional macOS wrappers (Boxer) are not.

There was a fork that looked to be working on 64-bit Boxer but it seems to have fizzled out.

https://github.com/MaddTheSane/Boxer
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
ChonkOpad (iPad Pro 8,9): A12Z @ 2.49ghz || 6GB RAM || 256GB

#7 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 12:34 AM

Doers anyone get the original outcast working with music but without the cd/dvd on wine.
it's working when using the dvd, but I can't figure out how to get it working without the dvd.
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#8 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8576 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 13 October 2019 - 01:10 AM

View Postdr.zeissler, on 13 October 2019 - 12:34 AM, said:

Doers anyone get the original outcast working with music but without the cd/dvd on wine.
it's working when using the dvd, but I can't figure out how to get it working without the dvd.
That sounds as if the game plays the music directly from the disc, just like Quake did. You probably have to create a disk image and add that to the Wine drives.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#9 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 01:16 AM

CD-Version play RedBook and does not work with wine (only 3-5 seconds, than silence).
DVD Version has uses MP3 but I do not get it working.
MacMinis 2005 - 2011