GOG's response to recent combo-list attacks.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:28 AM

https://www.gog.com/...y_guidelines#en

A huge combo-list has been rolling around the undergrounds lately, and looks like GOG got hit by it, because they have been sending out notices to accounts that they will be employing this new 2-auth system on the 24th.

A similar list has been slammed against the WinGameStore this weekend, and as well in light of these monster combo-lists, WGS too is going to employ 2-auth systems in response.

Its a typical response when some hacker group decides to throw a million login attempts at your website with a combo list they stole from somewhere else. So no surprised that more stores will be requiring these secondary 'code entry on login' means. It works, and so long as you maintain a valid email address on your account, you have nothing to worry about by its addition.

We won't be adding that to these IPB forums here on IMG though, because this is just one of those run-of-the-mill forum sites. Just don't use the same password here that you use for like paypal.

The most important Take-Away from this is not "omg! the sky is falling they got hacked!" ... its "omg! I should REALLY NOT use the same password everywhere!"

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#2 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3263 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:29 AM

If you type your password below, IMG will automatically censor it.

Example:

2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: i5 6600K @ 4.6 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || RX 480 8GB (mining) || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 850 Evo M.2 Sata, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Accessories: 28" 4K FreeSync Monitor || PS4 Pro || QNAP TS-228 NAS (2x 6 TB Seagte IronWolf) || iPhone 6S 64GB

#3 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:36 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 17 October 2016 - 11:29 AM, said:

If you type your password below, IMG will automatically censor it.

Example:

LMAO.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#4 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6042 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:11 PM

<Cthon98> hey, if you type in your pw, it will show as stars
<Cthon98> ********* see!
<AzureDiamond> hunter2
<AzureDiamond> doesnt look like stars to me
<Cthon98> <AzureDiamond> *******
<Cthon98> thats what I see
<AzureDiamond> oh, really?
<Cthon98> Absolutely
<AzureDiamond> you can go hunter2 my hunter2-ing hunter2
<AzureDiamond> haha, does that look funny to you?
<Cthon98> lol, yes. See, when YOU type hunter2, it shows to us as *******
<AzureDiamond> thats neat, I didnt know IRC did that
<Cthon98> yep, no matter how many times you type hunter2, it will show to us as *******
<AzureDiamond> awesome!
<AzureDiamond> wait, how do you know my pw?
<Cthon98> er, I just copy pasted YOUR ******'s and it appears to YOU as hunter2 cause its your pw
<AzureDiamond> oh, ok.
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.