Frost's Content

There have been 136 items by Frost (Search limited from 20-January 17)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#447913 Forget EA and Bungie, this is the most amazing post-launch thing I've see...

Posted by Frost on 14 January 2018 - 07:41 PM in Off-Topic

Redid the special event a second time to try and make as cinematic a recording as possible for folks who can't play, or are having trouble not dying (not something I've never experienced personally, but you know)

Skip straight to 20:16 for the Predator encounter if you don't want to lead-up, but if you want it done movie-style, do the whole thing!

#447912 What games are people playing these days!?

Posted by Frost on 14 January 2018 - 07:40 PM in General

Hell yeah, BF:BC campaign was great. I loved the modern day Kelly's Heroes angle they were going for.

#447900 Most missed hardware feature

Posted by Frost on 13 January 2018 - 08:19 PM in Mac Hardware

I was willing to give the jack up in favor of waterproofing. Realistically, if you have high end headphones (like I do), you're not going to be listening to music directly from your phone on them, you're going to have something else to hook up to (a Pioneer receiver in my living room or Sound Blaster X7 at my computer in my case). The iPhone drives high quality headphones pretty poorly.

When I do listen to stuff on my phone, it's usually with earbuds and I just made the lightning-to-3.5mm adapter a more or less permanently addition to the earbuds. Times when I listen and charge at the same time are almost non-existent so it didn't get on my nerves at all.

I don't mind sacrificing one thing in favor of something else. It's the sacrificing essential functionality in favor of an extra half millimeter of thinness because some asshat in design said so that sticks in my craw.

#447881 Most missed hardware feature

Posted by Frost on 12 January 2018 - 05:44 PM in Mac Hardware

View PostJanichsan, on 12 January 2018 - 12:54 PM, said:

Other features I miss:
  • battery charge indicator LEDs on Macbooks
  • user replaceable RAM and HDDs/SSDs
  • SD card slot

I suppose I will upgrade my 2012 MacBook Pro at some time, but I can't see it happening for this reason. I've had a 2TB 850 Pro in it for ages. It shipped with 8GB and I bumped it up to 16GB of RAM. If I feel pressed for space, there are 4TB options on the market and 98% of my time will just be spent moving my data over to it. The actual hardware upgrade is about a 90-120 second job. I can also read SD cards from my DSLR without a dongle. I can connect to ethernet at a work site without a dongle. When my battery starts to suffer, replacement with a fresh one is a simple 2 minute job needing nothing but a screwdriver.

I'm still of the opinion if Apple wants a super-slim portable Mac at the expense of broad spectrum capability, knock themselves out on the MacBook. But for the MacBook PRO, the machine being geared toward professional use rather than just being slim should rule the day. I WOULD upgrade to a new MacBook Pro right now if it would increase the convenience level of doing what I do with it instead of decreasing it. So, Apple is actually denying themselves a sale there.

Besides keeping Macs going well past their expiration date is also cool. I just did what will probably be the final upgrade on my 2001 PowerBook G4 Titanium (and in fact I'm typing this on it) this week. Swapped the 512GB Crucial M550 mSATA SSD with cheap Chinese mSATA to PATA adapter card to a cooler, faster, less power-hungry Micron M600 512GB mSATA SSD on a high end, high-quality Taiwanese mSATA to PATA adapter. Just finished booting into MacOS 9.2.2 to make sure it's working fine off the M600. It is. As is Classilla. :D

Classilla.jpg

#447857 Most missed hardware feature

Posted by Frost on 11 January 2018 - 01:33 PM in Mac Hardware

I miss the switch on the side of iPads for locking/unlocking portrait rotation. I used that constantly when I had my iPad mini 2 a couple years ago. Now have an iPad Pro 9.7 and I hate having to use the control center all the time for that instead of a nice easy switch.

#447854 Startrek Discovery

Posted by Frost on 11 January 2018 - 09:34 AM in Off-Topic

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 11 January 2018 - 07:00 AM, said:

Hmmm, I have it like that. Maybe I should watch it after all..

It is probably the best example I can think of of parody done well. Pokes fun at the source material and well-known issues on it mercilessly, and yet it's always in a comedic way without ever getting a vindictive streak about it as happens so often with parody, and actually has a decent story tying the whole thing together too. It makes great fun of Star Trek and yet manages to do so without putting it down and even nods to the positive aspects while poking fun.

#447851 Startrek Discovery

Posted by Frost on 11 January 2018 - 04:57 AM in Off-Topic

View PostG_Player, on 10 January 2018 - 02:49 AM, said:

Galaxy Quest was the best parody of Star Trek TOS.
"Never give up! Never surrender!"

Galaxy Quest was frakking gold. Even Trek alums thought so.

I remember hearing apparently Patrick Stewart didn't want to see it because he thought it was running down Star Trek and would just be a popsnizzlety parody. So Jonathan Frakes rang him and convinced him to go to it... he ended up laughing harder than anyone else in the theater.

#447830 Firearms

Posted by Frost on 10 January 2018 - 03:58 AM in Off-Topic

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 09 January 2018 - 10:47 AM, said:

The old Colt M1911A  I carried in Vietnam was an amazing piece of military hardware.  Once on a boring day I took the thing for a little target practice.  I picked out the biggest can of C-rats I had and set it on a log then backed off about 25 feet.  After missing the damn thing with an entire magazine I decided to move up halfway.  After missing with another magazine I said the Marine equivalent of "gosh darn it all" ... or was it "golly shucks" ... sort of forget now, and got up point blank close and burned 7 more rounds.  I decided then that it was throwing the rounds over my shoulder and if I didn't stop I'd shoot myself in the forehead.  But hey, at least it was loud as frak.

In the M1911's defense, I don't think we procured any new ones post-WWII. I imagine what little life was left in them after World War II and Korea got beaten and corroded out of them by Vietnam. That barrel's lands and grooves had probably been worn down to a smoothbore. If the military did as pants-on-head-retarded a job on pistol maintenance back then as they've done with the M9 in more recent years, I'm surprised it survived until the 1980s. 1911 in civilian hands has a pretty good track record, with its only major downsides being low capacity and tending to need parts to be fitted for optimal performance instead of being true drop-in like modern designs.

Highlights from the M9's career:

- Procuring a defective batch of ammo from Winchester that was loaded to proof pressures and caused slides to crack and fly off into the shooter's face. Blamed Beretta instead of owning up to the mistake.

- Beretta sued Uncle Sam for defamation for the above and won easily, then engineered at their own expense a slide change that would catch a broken slide from flying backward since it was unknown how much more of that ammo was in the supply chain.

- Handing the TDP (technical data package) to third tier manufacturers instead of approved ones and procuring bottom dollar parts and then blaming the platform when the junk parts break well ahead of schedule.

- Taking multiple pistols marked as destroyed and destined for scrap and assembling them into one working pistol that is a rattle trap that falls apart, then grumbling about the platform as a whole being faulty. Think cobbling together a truck, engine included, from the junkyard parts of three destroyed trucks with 200,000 miles on them and then saying their design sucks when the frankentruck doesn't work very well.

- Ordering magazines from Checkmate for deployment to desert conditions. Insisted on a gritty phosphated finish. Checkmate warned using that would catch fine sand like a sponge and cause jamming, suggested anti-friction finish instead. Order for phosphated finish was placed anyway. Phosphated mags caught fine sand like a sponge and caused jamming.

- Mysteriously, magazines supplied by Mec Gar and Beretta subsidiary MDS with the recommended finish worked fine in sand. Checkmate was blamed for supplying faulty magazines.

- Continuing to use the 1st generation locking block that breaks around 8,000-10,000 rounds despite the civilian models being on the third generation locking block design by now that lasts ~30,000 rounds and complaining about how frequently locking blocks break. Justification is the 1st gen block is what was officially adopted in 1986.

- Overhauled model with all modern advancements, with things like threaded barrel and night sights standard and anti-friction coatings submitted by Beretta in 2015 at a cheaper price than the original pistol gets rejected for having too many changes despite Colt's submitted changes for the M4A1 carbine being drastically more significant deviations from the original design and getting a pass.

- Finally replaced by XM17 starting 2017 with Sig Sauer's faultiest model after a fraction of the testing the XM9 trials in the 80s had, using a pistol that has no drop safety and has the potential to cause friendly fire when dropped like something from 100 years ago. Claims Sig underbid Beretta by offering $200 per pistol and the taxpayer got a great deal. Then reveals Sig sold them $1800 for holsters, parts, and ammo to go with it, multiplying per unit cost 10x.

Welcome to small arms management by bureaucrats. :cool:

Although a happy upset to all of that, which was mainly Big Army doing its thing, the Marines approached Beretta in 2006 about updating the 20 year-old platform specifically for the USMC and Beretta was happy to oblige. They beefed up the dust cover and added an accessory rail, upgraded the locking block to third generation, beveled the magazine well for easier insertion under stress, applied sand-resistant coatings to the magazines, a much stronger trigger guard that could survive the Marines' request of being able to beat someone to death with it and then pound in a tent peg, added more aggressive checkering to the grip for a better hold with hands or gloves slick with blood or grease, added a radius cut to the top of the grip allowing a bit higher grip on the pistol, and moved from dot-and-post sights to more modern 3-dot sights. That became the M9a1. The Marine Corps ordered a few hundred thousand of them and still love them and recently ordered even more.

#447800 Firearms

Posted by Frost on 08 January 2018 - 02:16 PM in Off-Topic

On the Mark 23: oh my gawd. I haven't fired one in years but I remember it being stupidly accurate. Took mine out for its first trip. That is an understatement. Set up a cinder block at about 25 yards. Five shots of .45ACP FMJ blew it apart. So I picked the largest chunk and shot at that. Blew that apart. Picked the next largest chunk and shot that. Blew it apart. Holy popsnizzle this thing is a frakking laser. Pistol ranges are almost silly. I need to go to the rifle range and see what kind of groups I can get at 100 yards. :ohmy:

#447795 Firearms

Posted by Frost on 07 January 2018 - 09:59 PM in Off-Topic

View PostG_Player, on 06 January 2018 - 03:25 AM, said:

Thank you, Frost for the informative reply.  : )

To answer you questions:

"Points Downward", refers to the direction of the inner thigh holster (rather lose a toe than have a lead slug up the ol' Hershey Highway).
My budget consists of selling my S&W .357 Revolver 6" Long Barrel (fired less than 20 rounds out of it), a single-shell-at-a-time 410 shotgun given to me that I've never fired (I don't have ammo for it). And making up any difference in cash. The average American male is 5' 9" tall. I stand 5' 7" and have small hands. Open heart surgery last year means that anyone who singles me out to start a fight with, means a death sentence for me. My ribcage is held together by a few small titanium plates and screws. I looked at my hand-crafted yew longbow and cedar arrows, and wept.

I'll print out your reply and take it to a gunsmith so he can show me the weapons you write about and elaborate on your comments.

Great advise you've given which I shall explore it all. Is there anything else you can think of? Or that I should know?

Gotcha. I have never actually heard of a holster that points upward at the user... you'd probably have to look far harder to find one of those.

Only thing I have to add is that unless you have large hands for your size, you might find the standard grips of models of the Beretta 92 a bit of a chunk to hold (but still try them; they're an extremely popular weapon and for good reason and finding one to try should be a non-issue). If you like the platform, you might find Vertec grips much more to your liking. See below: those are the three military versions of the 92. The M9a3, the tan one, has a Vertec grip (also available on civilian models). It's thinner with a flat backstrap, and much more friendly to shooters with smaller hands while retaining all the other features that make the platform popular.

Posted Image

If you have smaller hands you will likely find a USP's grip to be pretty fat. Something like the HK VP9 or Beretta APX might be most to your liking. Grips are interchangeable so you can make them larger or smaller as you see fit, they are very lightweight, and with a very low bore axis (meaning the barrel is much closer to your hand) making controlling them under rapid fire considerably easier than most guns without as practice.

I'll also note that Glock has a big following due to its price, it is ubiquitous due to Glock basically giving away their pistols to police departments, so expect a lot of disagreement with my opinion there. As a longtime shooter who's used a LOT of different platforms I still stand by that opinion. Glocks are often modded into fine weapons due to their great aftermarket, but why buy the gun and then spend a ton more modding it into something good when you can get something as good or better right off the bat that doesn't need modding?

I would recommend you don't let people upsell you to .40 S&W. If you're using modern hollowpoints, the size advantage over 9mm is negligible for effectiveness at stopping what you're shooting at, it costs a lot more so you can afford to practice less, and you lose several rounds of capacity over the same pistol in 9mm. All for a snappier recoil that you need more practice to overcome in rapid fire.

Also, think about shopping online for deals and even buying off of GunBroker (think eBay for guns) before you buy from a retailer. Just as an example, my mom decided she wants her license this year and is shopping around for what works for her, I've offered to take her to the range multiple times and try all kinds of things, and she ended up settling on a VP9. Academy wants $630 + tax for a standard one off the shelf. If she wanted the upgraded VP9 Tactical with the threaded barrel, tritium night sights, and so on, they want $799 + tax. Meanwhile there are dealers on GunBroker selling VP9-Ts for less than what Academy wants for a bone stock VP9. You can save quite a bit.

For reference, VP9-T:

Posted Image

Finally, if you're a new and inexperienced shooter, there's also the factor of a manual safety to consider. Striker-fired pistols (as opposed to pistols that fire using an external hammer) generally don't have a manual safety. The little nub on the trigger, such as that on the VP9 above, functions as the safety. You need to consciously be careful you don't accidentally pull the trigger. Someone who shoots a lot, that's no real concern. Someone who is new to it, you might like the extra safety factor. Another reason the Beretta 92 is a popular weapon is it is about as safe as you get. You have a manual safety that actually rotates the firing pin plunger away from the hammer so it's physically impossible to fire. You also have a firing pin disconnect so that the pistol physically cannot fire no matter how hard you hit it, drop it, throw it, etc. And it has a heavy double action pull on the first round, so even with the safety off and your finger on the trigger, the odds of you accidentally pulling it are extremely low. Basically, you have to be a rank moron not observing anything resembling proper gun safety to get an accidental or negligent discharge from a 92.

(Speaking of which, if you're not familiar with the term, DA/SA or double-action/single-action means the first round, if you don't cock the hammer manually, then pulling the trigger is heavy as it cocks and drops the hammer with one trigger pull. Subsequent shots automatically cock the hammer after every shot, so you have a lighter single-action pull that simply releases the hammer in order to fire when you pull the trigger. Beretta 92s, HK USPs, and Sig P22x pistols are good examples of DA/SA pistols).

#447770 Firearms

Posted by Frost on 05 January 2018 - 08:02 PM in Off-Topic

View PostG_Player, on 05 January 2018 - 06:21 PM, said:

With all the nut cases running around lately, I'm seriously considering getting a concealed carry permit
(my longbow doesn't conceal at all and a quiver full of bodkin-tipped arrows won't fit under a winter coat).

Now guys, don't laugh...

I wear a kilt most of the time (except, of course, during this harsh winter) and plan on strapping it to my upper thigh under the kilt.

I should like a 9MM that shoots sweetly (not a lot of kick), will fit under the kilt strapped to my thigh, and POINTS DOWNWARD.

What do you guys recommend?

I've had my License to Carry (formerly Concealed Handgun License) for 12 years... in that time I've been shot at by a lunatic one time, just this past summer in fact, and I wasn't carrying. Let that be a lesson: make sure you get something you can carry with you all the time. Or alternately, get something you prefer, and then a backup that can be carried even when you're dressed very poorly for CCing. Also you don't have to be in the hood for there to be a nut, I was somewhere you would take your kids without a second thought. And lest anyone mention gun laws, the guy in question is a felon so can't legally possess a gun anywhere in the United States in the first place so he is already ignoring the law. I got a tiny Beretta Pico to go alongside my regular setup just so that I would have something that I could conceal even if I was in shorts and a light T-shirt in the middle of the Texas summer.

If you're manly enough to wear a kilt, I ain't gonna criticize! Pretty damn good concealment option, honestly. You could hide my Mark 23 under there, not that you'd probably want to.

Not sure what you mean by points downward. What's your budget? My go-to recommendation for a 9mm that is extremely well-built, superbly reliable, with very controllable recoil and great accuracy but without a high price would be any member of the Beretta 92 series (M9, M9a1, M9a3, 92FS, 92A1, etc.). Most of them can be had around the $500-600 mark which is very reasonable. M9a3 is the exception at around $800-900 because it's sporting piles of upgrades. If you have big paws like me or at least medium sized ones you will probably like the standard grip. If not, the Vertec grip is much friendlier to smaller hands and has a feel closer to a Colt 1911 or equivalent 1911 clone.

92s, due to high mass for the caliber, their very low bore axis, and the Walther P38-derived locking block system are exceptional with recoil, and can best be described as giving you more of a "push" feeling than a rapid snap. Very easy to control and be accurate with with a little practice.

If you've got a big budget, the HK USP9 is fantastic and features HK's patented recoil reduction system like the rest of the USP line. Think of them as downsized versions of my Mark 23 that are more "normal" size. Like the 92s, it is superbly shootable and has a push feel to the recoil rather than a snap, although for different reasons. The USP is probably one of the most unkillable pistol designs in existence as well and will survive abuse that will destroy other weapons. But, you pay for it in price.

The Sig P22x series (P226, P228, P229, etc.) are pretty good guns, but they have a crazy high bore axis and you'll probably find you need a lot more practice to shoot one consistently and accurately versus their competition. Their price range also puts them in the same price class as the USP, and IMO the USP is superior. Sig is still good quality though generally. Although I do not favor the Sig P320... at all.

If you prefer a more angled grip and light trigger pull with a much more affordable price, HK VP9, Walther PPQ, and Beretta APX are all good options. I'd give the edge to the VP9 as it's a much more durable piece of kit than most of its direct competitors.

There's also the option of Blocks (Glocks) and things like the Springfield XD. They may work for you. You won't find me recommending them. Their price is amazingly affordable. On every single other metric, their competition is better.

#447761 Firearms

Posted by Frost on 05 January 2018 - 12:03 AM in Off-Topic

Mega necropost!

Finally decided to make like Nike, Just Do It, and get my Grail Gun that I've wanted for almost 20 years. HK Mark 23 SOCOM, aka Solid Snake's gun. It took months of hunting as I wanted a REAL one that was exactly the same as the military version aside from a different roll mark. That meant finding one made between 1996 and 2003, before the MK23 contract ended in 2004 and HK stopped making the commercial models to the same spec. Found a beauty from 2002 with less than 200 rounds fired over the past 15 years (that will be changing shortly).

MK23-1.jpg

Next to my other favorite pistol, my Beretta M9.

MK23-2.jpg

#447688 Merry Christmas!

Posted by Frost on 25 December 2017 - 02:05 PM in Off-Topic

HO-HO-HO

Now I have [another] machine gun!

Merry Christmas!

Posted Image

#447672 Fallout 4

Posted by Frost on 23 December 2017 - 04:02 PM in Off-Topic

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 22 December 2017 - 04:51 PM, said:

Assclown is my follower!  I've trusted that guy through thick and thin only to find out that he is likely to steal my armor for a big fight.  Now I'm sorry I modded special armor for him.  He's getting coal for Christmas.

Ha! He's actually a great follower, it's that one mission. When you've fought King Kong in a star fort (you'll know when you see it), you won't have to worry about Preston taking anything of yours again, he'll give back anything you want back from him from then on.

#447665 Fallout 4

Posted by Frost on 22 December 2017 - 02:18 PM in Off-Topic

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 22 December 2017 - 11:16 AM, said:

OK, I've gone and got myself addicted again, I can't set Fallout 4 down.  It becomes 3 hours after my bedtime and I'm still, "just this one more thing, then I'll knock off..."  Can't wait to pick it up again the next day ASAP.  I've joined the Minutemen and now I'm nation building from the ground up.  I just got to the point where I can assign a settler to start a supply line to my main workshop which really opens up the game as far as my settlers are concerned.  Those pathetic wretches are going to have it pretty good from now on.

I had my T-45b power armor stolen!  I had no idea that could happen!  Some fraking NPC walked off with it without a power core, but I found a frame early on in the game and had the common sense to save it.  Since then I've killed a couple of guys in power armor and swiped the armor off the frames for a combined full set, so now I have a frame with mixed T-51a and Raider armor.  Still works great, but I wish I had my own original armor back.  These days I either keep the power armor in the vault when I don't need it, or do a hard save every time I step out of it.  I wonder what else I'm unwittingly leaving my self open to.

Anyway, if you like a shooter RPG with lots of depth, detail and history, this is your game.  Get it on sale this Christmas!  Battle Cat recommended.

Holy popsnizzle! I've never had an NPC steal PA with no power core. What a douchenozzle. The only NPC I've had steal power armor was Preston... hint: don't let that assclown use a set of your power armor until he wants to meet you near a certain old fort and you've brought enough ammo for a BIG fight. I learned that one the hard way when he made off with my only set of fully functional, good condition power armor, and the only way to get it back was to do a mission I was not ready for.

And yes, Fallout 4 was awesome. 230 hours on my first playthrough. I need to play it again before too long.

#447642 iMac Pro lands 14 Dec

Posted by Frost on 21 December 2017 - 12:34 AM in Mac Hardware

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 19 December 2017 - 05:15 PM, said:

If you think I am going in with some +1 Rusty Sword of Good Luck Buddy, forget it. My next door neighbor is an US ARMY vet who drove M1 Abrams tanks and would be happy to level the playing field for me... literally. :)

Rusty Sword +1 of Good Luck? The nerve. I was going to give you my RMJ Shrike, but now I think I'll just give you a sharp stick! Speaking of which, did I ever tell the story of when tBC told me to poke a mother of all hunters with a sharp stick? Man, Eric5h5 loved that story. Where is Eric when you need him. I should e-mail him that story, it's been too long.

Hmm... Abrams... have to do a top hit or engine hit with the AT4. I'll hide in the weeds and hope he doesn't run me over.

#447630 iMac Pro lands 14 Dec

Posted by Frost on 19 December 2017 - 02:08 PM in Mac Hardware

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 17 December 2017 - 01:51 AM, said:

That's a great idea! My vote is for Frost to host so we can all partake in the sport of shooting the guy he's had a problem with and then after we can turn on each other or maybe team deathmatch if everybody shows up.

By the way, I'm on Frost's team because I want to be alive to return home after.

I have enough to arm 7 people adequately plus myself, or 12 if we make it stretch and only give edged weapons to the people we know are going to suck. Anybody more than that and the IRL team deatchmatch with be BYOG.

I've got the perfect place nearby to do it too. TWO MEN ENTER, ONE MAN LEAVES.

#447616 Derpin'

Posted by Frost on 18 December 2017 - 07:00 AM in Off-Topic

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 18 December 2017 - 06:30 AM, said:

I think we should all get naked.

What, you're not?

#447613 Derpin'

Posted by Frost on 18 December 2017 - 01:22 AM in Off-Topic

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 12 December 2017 - 10:24 AM, said:

Markek, regarding your "unfortunate banning incident", I've reported the guilty moderator to Robot Santa so he will be spending this Christmas in an undisclosed underground bunker.

[EDIT: I've split out these posts from another thread and put them here.  This is age inappropriate for the original poster as there is a risk his kid may see it if he comes back.]

That wasn't one of mine, was it? I'm pretty positive I haven't popped anybody recently who wasn't peddling viagra or a website with malicious code in their signature or their name was Russia or they were just flat advertising or something. I have been known to hit civilians without an appropriate display of remorse in the past though, so I wouldn't put it past me.

cialis

#447548 Forget EA and Bungie, this is the most amazing post-launch thing I've see...

Posted by Frost on 13 December 2017 - 10:52 PM in Off-Topic

Oh. MY GOD.

All for the low-low microtransaction price of $0.00, with no lockouts or 2000 hour grind.

Even if I didn't already own and love this game, I would now buy it. In fact, I'll throw them money for the Predator Pack for cosmetics just because I vote for things I like with my wallet. Sort of "you don't need to pay to experience this, but this pack would help us fund doing things like this in the future." Yes please, here is some of my cash.

::80s testosterone intensifies::

#447494 Bungie Caught With Their Pants Down by Destiny 2 Players?

Posted by Frost on 07 December 2017 - 03:22 PM in Off-Topic

View PostSneaky Snake, on 07 December 2017 - 12:25 PM, said:

I think the main complaints about content being locked behind Eververse is due to them showcasing a lot of gear/emotes in the trailers for the expansion that apparently are only available via Bright Engrams. The gear that is locked behind microtransactions is class items (hunter cloaks, etc.). Those things are just cosmetic, but it's frustrating to players to have those things being marketed as content when in reality they are locked behind either a super long level up grind, or a paywall.

Pretty much this. It's sort of like Chroma in The Taken King, except they were much more forward about that being an Eververse thing, and they also had plenty of other options for getting Chroma gear beyond just Eververse by also letting you get it from faction reps when hitting milestones with them.

On another note, I played some Destiny 1 on my PS4 yesterday and it reminded me how much more fun the game was with the Primary-Special-Heavy system than the two tickle guns and one special or heavy we have now. Also, abilities and supers being available frequently and regularly rather than on absurdly long cooldowns. Destiny 1 made you feel like a superhero. Destiny 2 is really missing that visceral action now that I go back and play the original.

Only problem is I don't know that I can do that much. Holy crap, I've gotten used to playing Destiny at around 100 FPS over the past month. Playing at 30 FPS with the tiny FOV didn't bother me when it was all I knew, but jumping directly from D2 PC to D1 PS4 was like playing a motion sickness-inducing slideshow. :blarf:

I wish there had been a PC port of Destiny 1. I'd just play that.

#447476 Bungie Caught With Their Pants Down by Destiny 2 Players?

Posted by Frost on 06 December 2017 - 07:20 PM in Off-Topic

View PostJanichsan, on 06 December 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

I only boarded the Destiny 1 train pretty late, but haven't they pulled off that same crap back then with the first D1 DLC already?

Somewhat, but not nearly to the same degree. Certain Crucible playlists and Strike playlists got locked out, but you didn't lose the ability to play existing raids, and you didn't lose the ability to play Weekly Heroic strikes and Nightfalls unless the map that week was a DLC map. Otherwise they were available. They never locked any real portion of new content behind Eververse microtransactions either, they just made it easier to do things like directly buy cosmetics for exotics and whatnot if you wanted near the end of the game's life.

Looks like this time they're going full on "pay-to-continue playing." I can see how that would rub people the wrong way. Not to mention the extremely spare content. The Dark Below and House of Wolves in year 1 of Destiny 1 added a LOT more content than Curse of Osiris. Curse of Osiris is more along the lines of the free update/addition they did halfway between The Taken King and Rise of Iron, except they're charging 20 bucks for it.

#447470 Bungie Caught With Their Pants Down by Destiny 2 Players?

Posted by Frost on 06 December 2017 - 02:31 PM in Off-Topic

And now Bungie has released a $20 expansion with an hour and a half of content and most of the cool gear locked behind microtransactions. Anyone who hasn't bought the expansion loses the ability to play most of the endgame activities.

You know, if you find yourself in a hole, maybe you better stop digging.

#447383 Bungie Caught With Their Pants Down by Destiny 2 Players?

Posted by Frost on 30 November 2017 - 12:46 PM in Off-Topic

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 29 November 2017 - 09:43 PM, said:

This strikes me as being something like art that must first be designed to maximize profit and then whatever art can still survive this process is what winds up being available to the public. If you come to the museum enough times on double XP weekends, you can see Mona Lisa's eyes sooner! Otherwise, if you don't want to wait we have Mona Loot Boxes you can buy for a random chance to get one or maybe even both eyeballs revealed. Check the in-museum store for specials on cosmetics such as a wide array of eye colors, costumes, hair styles, hats, an EPIC bloody dagger complete with the otherwise unavailable big smile mod, a mount for Mona and more! Personally, I think Mona without eyes is fine. I mean, they are optional. Nobody is making me buy them and it isn't like she needs them. I could level up over a ridiculous number of museum visits and get to see them anyway so I am cool with that. I might buy the optional sunglasses though early on where they are cheap. The empty eye sockets are kinda creepy and while I liked it the first time, it gets old after a while. I swear they did this just so I'd buy the eyes but I refuse to do it. Besides, I don't know a damned thing about art anyway so whatever. For all I know, Mona never had eyes to begin with but they stuck some in when they designed her so they could yank them back out and then sell chances to get them back in loot boxes that take forever to get unless you basically move into the museum and never go home again.

I miss the days when you could just buy a nice print of "American Gothic" and not have to shell out extra just to get the damned pitchfork too. Yeah, yeah, I know the stupid thing is optional but I want it.

I heart this rant so much.

#447358 Recommened me a card game site for my new device!

Posted by Frost on 28 November 2017 - 03:42 PM in iPhone/iTouch/iPad Gaming

Plot twist: Garfield was a spam sweatshopper.