Frost's Content

There have been 114 items by Frost (Search limited from 21-April 17)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#448798 Feedback Request: Summer Book Group

Posted by Frost on 19 April 2018 - 11:46 AM in Off-Topic

Ooh! Ooh! Can I come to and do my Gauss Rifle vs. Heads - An Interactive Lab segment? I promise no accidental deaths this time, only intentional ones.

#448759 What games are people playing these days!?

Posted by Frost on 15 April 2018 - 11:28 PM in General

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 14 April 2018 - 11:05 AM, said:

Recently in Fallout 4:

And the coveted Fallout 4 2018 Darwin Award goes to... Steel Toe and Big Jaw.

I just got jumped by two deathclaws at once.  Too bad for them that they found me in front of the Red Rocket under 4 turrets and 2 attack dogs where my  8 heavily armed companions all hole out.  They were gone almost before they were there.  You could hardly see them from all the tracers vectoring into them.

The first deathclaw, Steel Toe, must have said, "Hey let's swing by the Red Rocket and see who we can scare out of their pants derp.  

The second deathclaw, Big Jaw, probably said something like, "I don't know, doesn't a vault dweller live there now derp?

I'm guessing that Steel Toe came back with something like, "Have you ever seen a human?  They are so scrawny that they would fry down to a little gob of grease, hardly a meal for one of us.  What could go wrong?  It'l be fun derp."

Meanwhile, on the edge of camp, finding Steel Toe’s testicle jammed in Big Jaw’s exploded eye socket...

Posted Image

#448743 What games are people playing these days!?

Posted by Frost on 13 April 2018 - 11:52 AM in General

I've been playing a bunch of Far Cry 5 lately, although I'll be jumping back into Ghost Recon: Wildlands now that they've added the Sam Fisher (Splinter Cell) special mission crossover, and even hired Michael Ironside to voice him again! Can't wait for that.

Far Cry 5 has been my favorite entry in the series thus far. Its flaws are large, and many, but what it does right, it really does right, and is a popsnizzleload of fun. The only thing that irritates me is how am I supposed to roleplay myself when none of my guns are in the game, damnit? Far Cry 5 needs more guns. I was all stoked that my Beretta M9 and Sig MPX were going to be in the game but they seem to have cut both at the last minute. Maybe they'll come back in updates/DLC.

#448563 What games are people playing these days!?

Posted by Frost on 24 March 2018 - 10:47 PM in General

View PostJanichsan, on 24 March 2018 - 10:02 AM, said:

Diablo never was a series you'd play for the story. ;)

Applies to every Blizzard game, IMO, except OG StarCraft and Brood War. Those had cool stories.

StarCraft 2's Terran campaign was pretty neat if you get into the space cowboy verve, but it was borderline.

The rest are lol.

#448481 What games are people playing these days!?

Posted by Frost on 13 March 2018 - 02:56 PM in General

View PostAtticus, on 13 March 2018 - 08:02 AM, said:

Still playing Fallout 4. Might never end...? Think I have over 20k rounds of .38 ammo.

Hey, you’re starting to approach me in real life. I better buy more before you pass me.

#448472 What games are people playing these days!?

Posted by Frost on 12 March 2018 - 10:42 AM in General

Been playing The Division again and really enjoying the overhaul the game got with 1.8. They finally got the game in the condition it should have shipped in. Better late than never as I'm having tons of fun with it now in its current state. Also enjoying they're doing a rerun of the last four Global Events, one per weekend, this month for the second anniversary of the game's release. Adds super-fun modifiers to the world for 3 days a week.

#448452 MacPro Updated Prediction 2019

Posted by Frost on 08 March 2018 - 10:54 PM in Mac Hardware

All this fantasizing when you know what the outcome will be.

The Mac Pro will have a power port and a USB-C port. They will announce "Pro Upgrade Modules" where the whole computer comes off except the power supply, then you plug in a new computer into the power supply when you want to upgrade.

Jony Ive will declare this to be the most excellent path forward, mainly because he will color it stark white.

Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

Posted Image

#448191 Rise of The Tomb Raider™ announced for macOS, Linux!

Posted by Frost on 13 February 2018 - 12:10 PM in Mac Action & Shooters

Nice! I loved the PC version; a worthy successor to the 2013 reboot.

#448163 IMG Forum tip jar?

Posted by Frost on 11 February 2018 - 02:54 PM in IMG Website Network Feedback

I would donate to a tip jar for updating our IPB to a non-dinosaur version.

#448162 Star Trek Discovery

Posted by Frost on 11 February 2018 - 02:31 PM in Off-Topic

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 11 February 2018 - 02:03 PM, said:

I am almost finished with season 1 of DISCO and have come to the following conclusions

I like:
The updated bling bling.
Bigger, better sets.
Better CGI.
The characters Lorca, Culber, Stamets, Saru.
Proper action fights.

I dislike:
The sporedrive.
The characters Burnham, Tyler.

I loathe:
The super magical spore drive.
The raped klingons.
The raped chronology.
The character Tilly.
The lack of Star Trek.

I stopped watching mid-season.

This isn't Star Trek, it's an abortion of a Battlestar Galactica-wannabe ostensibly set in something resembling the Star Trek universe. It feels like a rabid Trekkie and rabid environmentalist from the r/Politics echo chamber of reddit who likes sci-fi battles watched the 2003 BSG and loved it. Then went and wrote a fan fiction complete around that with the bane of all fan fiction, a Mary Sue character (Burnham). Add in ham-fisted shoehorning of a caricature of their modern political opponents onto the Klingons, shake, and bake.

I won't lie, it's had its upsides and parts I've genuinely enjoyed, but overall, that's the feeling I get from it.

#448156 Support the NNLO!

Posted by Frost on 10 February 2018 - 12:48 PM in Off-Topic

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 09 February 2018 - 09:31 PM, said:

That sounds like a character building experience if ever there was one.
Or at least a healthy gut fauna building experience.

#448147 Public Apology

Posted by Frost on 09 February 2018 - 06:37 PM in Off-Topic

Wait, was it really 11 years ago I sent you that "At least you're not 60 yet!" happy birthday IM on here for 59?

<checks IM box>

Wait, nevermind that, I got the "Uncle Cat Wants You" IM and got conscripted to read you people's posts looking for spam 9 years ago? Damn, what happened. Somebody slow this thing down, I want to get off.

#448135 Public Apology

Posted by Frost on 08 February 2018 - 11:53 PM in Off-Topic

View Postipickert55, on 08 February 2018 - 06:45 PM, said:

American Psycho would like a word with you about how great the 80s were.

Mostly joking but since I feel like the only young person around here gotta keep you geezers grounded.

Edit: Just realized that I wasn't positive yet again. I swear I'm a treat most of the time.

Boy, you almost missed the 90s, don’t you be tellin’ me how the 80s were.

#448130 Public Apology

Posted by Frost on 08 February 2018 - 12:44 PM in Off-Topic

I miss the 80s' hair, music, positivity, and lack of a culture of professional victimhood where you're being perpetually offended at everything around you.

/minirant

#448123 Support the NNLO!

Posted by Frost on 07 February 2018 - 08:23 AM in Off-Topic

I was going to, but then I saw it was a trick page and led me to sign up for NAMBLA so I passed.

#448122 Public Apology

Posted by Frost on 07 February 2018 - 08:22 AM in Off-Topic

Posted Image

#447913 Forget EA and Bungie, this is the most amazing post-launch thing I've see...

Posted by Frost on 14 January 2018 - 07:41 PM in Off-Topic

Redid the special event a second time to try and make as cinematic a recording as possible for folks who can't play, or are having trouble not dying (not something I've never experienced personally, but you know)

Skip straight to 20:16 for the Predator encounter if you don't want to lead-up, but if you want it done movie-style, do the whole thing!

#447912 What games are people playing these days!?

Posted by Frost on 14 January 2018 - 07:40 PM in General

Hell yeah, BF:BC campaign was great. I loved the modern day Kelly's Heroes angle they were going for.

#447900 Most missed hardware feature

Posted by Frost on 13 January 2018 - 08:19 PM in Mac Hardware

I was willing to give the jack up in favor of waterproofing. Realistically, if you have high end headphones (like I do), you're not going to be listening to music directly from your phone on them, you're going to have something else to hook up to (a Pioneer receiver in my living room or Sound Blaster X7 at my computer in my case). The iPhone drives high quality headphones pretty poorly.

When I do listen to stuff on my phone, it's usually with earbuds and I just made the lightning-to-3.5mm adapter a more or less permanent addition to the earbuds. Times when I listen and charge at the same time are almost non-existent so it didn't get on my nerves at all.

I don't mind sacrificing one thing in favor of something else. It's the sacrificing essential functionality in favor of an extra half millimeter of thinness because some asshat in design said so that sticks in my craw.

#447881 Most missed hardware feature

Posted by Frost on 12 January 2018 - 05:44 PM in Mac Hardware

View PostJanichsan, on 12 January 2018 - 12:54 PM, said:

Other features I miss:
  • battery charge indicator LEDs on Macbooks
  • user replaceable RAM and HDDs/SSDs
  • SD card slot

I suppose I will upgrade my 2012 MacBook Pro at some time, but I can't see it happening for this reason. I've had a 2TB 850 Pro in it for ages. It shipped with 8GB and I bumped it up to 16GB of RAM. If I feel pressed for space, there are 4TB options on the market and 98% of my time will just be spent moving my data over to it. The actual hardware upgrade is about a 90-120 second job. I can also read SD cards from my DSLR without a dongle. I can connect to ethernet at a work site without a dongle. When my battery starts to suffer, replacement with a fresh one is a simple 2 minute job needing nothing but a screwdriver.

I'm still of the opinion if Apple wants a super-slim portable Mac at the expense of broad spectrum capability, knock themselves out on the MacBook. But for the MacBook PRO, the machine being geared toward professional use rather than just being slim should rule the day. I WOULD upgrade to a new MacBook Pro right now if it would increase the convenience level of doing what I do with it instead of decreasing it. So, Apple is actually denying themselves a sale there.

Besides keeping Macs going well past their expiration date is also cool. I just did what will probably be the final upgrade on my 2001 PowerBook G4 Titanium (and in fact I'm typing this on it) this week. Swapped the 512GB Crucial M550 mSATA SSD with cheap Chinese mSATA to PATA adapter card to a cooler, faster, less power-hungry Micron M600 512GB mSATA SSD on a high end, high-quality Taiwanese mSATA to PATA adapter. Just finished booting into MacOS 9.2.2 to make sure it's working fine off the M600. It is. As is Classilla. :D

Classilla.jpg

#447857 Most missed hardware feature

Posted by Frost on 11 January 2018 - 01:33 PM in Mac Hardware

I miss the switch on the side of iPads for locking/unlocking portrait rotation. I used that constantly when I had my iPad mini 2 a couple years ago. Now have an iPad Pro 9.7 and I hate having to use the control center all the time for that instead of a nice easy switch.

#447854 Star Trek Discovery

Posted by Frost on 11 January 2018 - 09:34 AM in Off-Topic

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 11 January 2018 - 07:00 AM, said:

Hmmm, I have it like that. Maybe I should watch it after all..

It is probably the best example I can think of of parody done well. Pokes fun at the source material and well-known issues on it mercilessly, and yet it's always in a comedic way without ever getting a vindictive streak about it as happens so often with parody, and actually has a decent story tying the whole thing together too. It makes great fun of Star Trek and yet manages to do so without putting it down and even nods to the positive aspects while poking fun.

#447851 Star Trek Discovery

Posted by Frost on 11 January 2018 - 04:57 AM in Off-Topic

View PostG_Player, on 10 January 2018 - 02:49 AM, said:

Galaxy Quest was the best parody of Star Trek TOS.
"Never give up! Never surrender!"

Galaxy Quest was frakking gold. Even Trek alums thought so.

I remember hearing apparently Patrick Stewart didn't want to see it because he thought it was running down Star Trek and would just be a popsnizzlety parody. So Jonathan Frakes rang him and convinced him to go to it... he ended up laughing harder than anyone else in the theater.

#447830 Firearms

Posted by Frost on 10 January 2018 - 03:58 AM in Off-Topic

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 09 January 2018 - 10:47 AM, said:

The old Colt M1911A  I carried in Vietnam was an amazing piece of military hardware.  Once on a boring day I took the thing for a little target practice.  I picked out the biggest can of C-rats I had and set it on a log then backed off about 25 feet.  After missing the damn thing with an entire magazine I decided to move up halfway.  After missing with another magazine I said the Marine equivalent of "gosh darn it all" ... or was it "golly shucks" ... sort of forget now, and got up point blank close and burned 7 more rounds.  I decided then that it was throwing the rounds over my shoulder and if I didn't stop I'd shoot myself in the forehead.  But hey, at least it was loud as frak.

In the M1911's defense, I don't think we procured any new ones post-WWII. I imagine what little life was left in them after World War II and Korea got beaten and corroded out of them by Vietnam. That barrel's lands and grooves had probably been worn down to a smoothbore. If the military did as pants-on-head-retarded a job on pistol maintenance back then as they've done with the M9 in more recent years, I'm surprised it survived until the 1980s. 1911 in civilian hands has a pretty good track record, with its only major downsides being low capacity and tending to need parts to be fitted for optimal performance instead of being true drop-in like modern designs.

Highlights from the M9's career:

- Procuring a defective batch of ammo from Winchester that was loaded to proof pressures and caused slides to crack and fly off into the shooter's face. Blamed Beretta instead of owning up to the mistake.

- Beretta sued Uncle Sam for defamation for the above and won easily, then engineered at their own expense a slide change that would catch a broken slide from flying backward since it was unknown how much more of that ammo was in the supply chain.

- Handing the TDP (technical data package) to third tier manufacturers instead of approved ones and procuring bottom dollar parts and then blaming the platform when the junk parts break well ahead of schedule.

- Taking multiple pistols marked as destroyed and destined for scrap and assembling them into one working pistol that is a rattle trap that falls apart, then grumbling about the platform as a whole being faulty. Think cobbling together a truck, engine included, from the junkyard parts of three destroyed trucks with 200,000 miles on them and then saying their design sucks when the frankentruck doesn't work very well.

- Ordering magazines from Checkmate for deployment to desert conditions. Insisted on a gritty phosphated finish. Checkmate warned using that would catch fine sand like a sponge and cause jamming, suggested anti-friction finish instead. Order for phosphated finish was placed anyway. Phosphated mags caught fine sand like a sponge and caused jamming.

- Mysteriously, magazines supplied by Mec Gar and Beretta subsidiary MDS with the recommended finish worked fine in sand. Checkmate was blamed for supplying faulty magazines.

- Continuing to use the 1st generation locking block that breaks around 8,000-10,000 rounds despite the civilian models being on the third generation locking block design by now that lasts ~30,000 rounds and complaining about how frequently locking blocks break. Justification is the 1st gen block is what was officially adopted in 1986.

- Overhauled model with all modern advancements, with things like threaded barrel and night sights standard and anti-friction coatings submitted by Beretta in 2015 at a cheaper price than the original pistol gets rejected for having too many changes despite Colt's submitted changes for the M4A1 carbine being drastically more significant deviations from the original design and getting a pass.

- Finally replaced by XM17 starting 2017 with Sig Sauer's faultiest model after a fraction of the testing the XM9 trials in the 80s had, using a pistol that has no drop safety and has the potential to cause friendly fire when dropped like something from 100 years ago. Claims Sig underbid Beretta by offering $200 per pistol and the taxpayer got a great deal. Then reveals Sig sold them $1800 for holsters, parts, and ammo to go with it, multiplying per unit cost 10x.

Welcome to small arms management by bureaucrats. :cool:

Although a happy upset to all of that, which was mainly Big Army doing its thing, the Marines approached Beretta in 2006 about updating the 20 year-old platform specifically for the USMC and Beretta was happy to oblige. They beefed up the dust cover and added an accessory rail, upgraded the locking block to third generation, beveled the magazine well for easier insertion under stress, applied sand-resistant coatings to the magazines, a much stronger trigger guard that could survive the Marines' request of being able to beat someone to death with it and then pound in a tent peg, added more aggressive checkering to the grip for a better hold with hands or gloves slick with blood or grease, added a radius cut to the top of the grip allowing a bit higher grip on the pistol, and moved from dot-and-post sights to more modern 3-dot sights. That became the M9a1. The Marine Corps ordered a few hundred thousand of them and still love them and recently ordered even more.

#447800 Firearms

Posted by Frost on 08 January 2018 - 02:16 PM in Off-Topic

On the Mark 23: oh my gawd. I haven't fired one in years but I remember it being stupidly accurate. Took mine out for its first trip. That is an understatement. Set up a cinder block at about 25 yards. Five shots of .45ACP FMJ blew it apart. So I picked the largest chunk and shot at that. Blew that apart. Picked the next largest chunk and shot that. Blew it apart. Holy popsnizzle this thing is a frakking laser. Pistol ranges are almost silly. I need to go to the rifle range and see what kind of groups I can get at 100 yards. :ohmy: