Spike's Content

There have been 52 items by Spike (Search limited from 21-October 16)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#446896 Heliborne

Posted by Spike on Yesterday, 02:20 PM in Mac Simulators

Can anyone let me know if Heliborne requires steam to play?

#446895 macOS 10.13 - High Sierra

Posted by Spike on Yesterday, 11:24 AM in Mac OS Related

Recently read that APFS also does not fully support fast catalog searching, which is used by searching tools that I use since Apple does not search within bundles etc..

Anyway, I found an Apple Support article about how to download 10.12 Sierra. I am so glad I never downloaded 10.13 with its forcing of APFS conversion :) .

#446668 macOS 10.13 - High Sierra

Posted by Spike on 30 September 2017 - 12:15 PM in Mac OS Related

For those who want Sierra installer:
This macrumors.com site has a comment from farewelwilliams that gives a direct link as well as a comment from jasminetroll which gives instructions how to download Sierra installer.

Im not touching High Sierra for quite a while since Apple is forcing APFS.

#446578 Answer questions for the Feral newsletter!

Posted by Spike on 20 September 2017 - 10:51 AM in General

Will be in 2017? (cough) window is a little tight (cough).

Universe Sandbox 2. First, because it is a simulation and so has reality to it. One can also learn about our universe and space is the future.

#446519 Apple Sept Event......!

Posted by Spike on 12 September 2017 - 10:15 PM in Mac Hardware

Yes, I know there is still the SE that is also taller then my 4S. If I were to upgrade now, I would get the SE and put up with a little bigger phone.

#446517 Apple Sept Event......!

Posted by Spike on 12 September 2017 - 06:33 PM in Mac Hardware

View Postmattw, on 12 September 2017 - 02:29 PM, said:

iPhone tech is all very nice but nothing must have for me, whilst I'm in the minority, I still find the newer iPhones too big now (I can't use them one handed and the 6 onwards feel like a bar of soap and more slippy in my hand. I'm not a phone addict like many people are these days and will always prefer to use my Mac or iPad for most things unless travelling. Happy with my SE for size, weight, and performance - if there are still enough of us out there maybe there will be something to follow it but no rush yet.

Also quoted for truth.

The iPhone choice of too big or way too big doesnt appeal to me as I just cannot lug around a huge phone all the time. My iPhone 4S is the perfect size and is mobile. Apple doesnt get bezel-less in that the reason it is so great is it can make the phone smaller, but Apple screwed that up. Having that notch for Face ID, I would rather go without Face ID. I dont care for any of the other stuff except the A11 processor.

I also dont care for cellular on Apple Watch, would much rather have thinner or longer battery life.

#446442 macOS 10.13 - High Sierra

Posted by Spike on 30 August 2017 - 10:18 PM in Mac OS Related

Think I got confirmation of my answer. According to Apple support document, bootcamp wont support read/write to APFS volumes in High Sierra.

"Boot Camp doesn't support Read/Write to APFS-formatted Mac volumes."

#446433 Egosoft announced X4 Foundations

Posted by Spike on 29 August 2017 - 10:08 PM in Windows Gaming

Egosoft announced the sequel to X3, X4 Foundations.

Although X3 has Mac ports, X4 (and X Rebirth VR) use their new in-house developed engine based on Vulkan, and so I dont expect a Mac port.

#446358 StarCraft: Remastered

Posted by Spike on 22 August 2017 - 09:18 AM in Mac Strategy

View PostTetsuya, on 22 August 2017 - 12:11 AM, said:

Not that im aware of.  Battle.net client works just fine offline.

I confirmed with Blizzard and Starcraft remastered has the same internet DRM as Starcraft II. Blizzard states it requires login once every 30 days. Playing Starcraft II my prefered offline was always getting map needs update errors and needing to keep going online and thus resulting in too much trouble to play and a bad experience for me.

Anyway Starcraft 1.18 is awesome and plays great anytime offline without errors!

#446293 StarCraft: Remastered

Posted by Spike on 16 August 2017 - 01:49 PM in Mac Strategy

I read that the remastered has dreaded internet DRM which I am too against so am sticking with 1.18 which is a great game.

#446093 Answer questions for the Feral newsletter!

Posted by Spike on 20 July 2017 - 01:58 PM in General

The Sleeper in Everquest. I have not personally tried to attack The Sleeper, but I did shiver in just the mention of his name. He was the most powerful dragon.

#446070 The State of Mac Gaming in 2017 (Ars Article)

Posted by Spike on 18 July 2017 - 02:46 PM in General

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 17 July 2017 - 11:55 PM, said:

Also many users in this very forum have switched to a PC or console for games. I wonder if there aren't now more Windows and console gamers than macOS gamers here!

Yea, and I will have to do more. Currently 95% Mac and 5% Win. Only Win game now is Command Modern Air/Naval as others I have been able to get using wineskin. I really hate having to reboot into Winblows and lose all my Mac stuff.

#446048 The State of Mac Gaming in 2017 (Ars Article)

Posted by Spike on 16 July 2017 - 10:47 PM in General

Yes Sneaky were on the same page on a lot of stuff. In case your interested, I'll provide my thoughts about what you said:
- I dont see the relevance that the final Vulkan spec was a year after metal. Apple has had so so many techs that became obsolete and are gone. I think the priority needs to be whats in customers best interest and not that Apple has put a lot of engineering into it.
- Yes, iOS is a titan on mobile gaming and Apple thus can do what they want on that platform and developers will develop for it. Yes, its advantageous to support the same graphics API on iOS and Mac. But, Apple could add support for Vulkan on iOS too. Mobile gaming is however not something I care about at all.
- There are a lot more Vulkan games then metal ones, even though Vulkan is a year later. Here is a list of 18 announced games for desktop on Wikipedia(I am not including mobile games).
- Also there are 10 announced game engines that support Vulkan, more then what support metal, even though Vulkan was a year later.
- I see lots of issues with developers supporting metal. Blizzard, for example, has only ported WoW right? Last I saw starcraft and HotS which are same engine are still in metal beta, as there are metal issues. Diablo III has no metal and it is said cannot until it goes 64 bit, hearthstone no metal. No other developer has backported a release to metal. Vast vast majority of new games are still OpenGL, though I expect the future trend of more metal and less OpenGL and some abandonment.
- Yes, metal performance is much better then OpenGL. Although I dont care about the highest performance and mostly interested in developer support, I would like to find a comparison of metal vs vulkan vs directx 12. The only comparisons I have seen have been with metal and directx 11.

Edit: I'll take back that no other developer has backported, sorta. War Thunder is in metal beta. It is a constantly updated MMO so its sorta.

#446045 The State of Mac Gaming in 2017 (Ars Article)

Posted by Spike on 16 July 2017 - 09:48 PM in General

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 16 July 2017 - 09:07 PM, said:

I would not expect either Microsoft nor Apple to embrace standards outside of their own proprietary ones which they can exercise full control over and which often have other benefits I won't bother getting into here.
Apple embraced the open standard of OpenGL for decades. Apple are also a member of the Khronos group that does this standard. All other OS's have Vulkan and will continue to do so.

DirtyHarry50 said:

Would you expect Microsoft to drop Direct X in favor of any open standard? Why would you expect Apple to drop Metal?

No as I have already said, because Microsoft has 90% marketshare and so dont have the need to support the open standard. I dont expect Apple to drop Metal, I am only saying it would be better if they supported Vulkan like everyone else.
If Linux suddenly said they are no longer supporting OpenGL/Vulkan and announced a new proprietary API that only works on Linux systems, what do you think developers supporting Linux games will do then when they have such small marketshare? Linux gaming has been increasing growth a lot lately, even thou there marketshare is significantly smaller then Mac.

DirtyHarry50 said:

Direct X isn't going anywhere and neither is Metal now. That says to me that Vulkan isn't either but not in a good way.

Vulkan isnt going anywhere also and will continue to be supported by everyone else.

#446043 The State of Mac Gaming in 2017 (Ars Article)

Posted by Spike on 16 July 2017 - 07:40 PM in General

View Postjeannot, on 16 July 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

How do you figure it would have allowed Overwatch on the Mac? This game uses D3D. Porting to Vulkan would be harder than porting it to Metal, if anything. OpenGL wouldn't be easier.

What? Because blizzard said it was because of the state of Mac graphics. What? Practically all games use D3D. What? No, porting to the open standard such as later versions of OpenGL or Vulkan is easier and cheaper then metal.

jeannot said:

Open standards also evolve at very slow pace and are not tailored to any OS, hence why MS develops D3D.
I believe that very few games will use vulkan over D3D, just like with OpenGL. It's not the APIs that explain the state of Mac gaming (at least once Macs have a working one), it's market share. It'll alway be, and always have been.
Vulkan is fine, thank you. You can have your dim opinion of Vulkan, whatever. It is the API that does explain the state of Mac gaming. The API and marketshare are two main factors that developers use to choose if they are going to support the Mac platform.

jeannot said:

OpenGL is on the way out and is stagnating. So developers will have to shift to new and more modern APIs
Yes, OpenGL got replaced with its next generation Vulkan. Unfortunately, Apple has abandoned this open standard.

#446039 The State of Mac Gaming in 2017 (Ars Article)

Posted by Spike on 16 July 2017 - 03:43 PM in General

View Postjeannot, on 16 July 2017 - 01:50 PM, said:

At least Metal is mature enough to power some games, and it yields good results. Before macOS 10.12 (and 10.12.4 in fact), Metal simply wasn't up to the task.

I'm not sure Vulkan would have been better. It wouldn't have brought more games to the Mac, it would just have made porting more difficult, since the vast majority of games are D3D and Vulkan is very hard to use.

Yes metal is mature enough and yields good results, but metal is the problem. Vulkan would have brought more games and porting would be less costly and problematic then metal.

It is because of metal that the Mac does not have Overwatch as you mentioned before (as well as ED and others) and still do not have. If Apple had not developed metal, then OpenGL would have been updated instead of abandoned so many years ago. It would then have supported later OpenGL versions that includes tessellation, compute shaders, etc that developers need. If no metal, then Apple would support Vulkan as they are in the Khronos group and Vulkan is the next generation OpenGL.

Vulkan would have brought more games to the Mac because it is an open standard. Developing for an open standard is less costly and easier to employ already skilled programmers, etc. I read a couple months ago a game I may like, if it is ever released, Star Citizen dropped DirectX and is going Vulkan, and thus Linux users will get to play it.

Supporting the Open Standard main benefit is developer support.

Metal is also the problem with current gaming trends. Right now all my Mac games are OpenGL 4.1 and earlier and run great on my 2012 Mac, but what is going to happen when future games need more then OpenGL 4.1? Two such games, HOI4 and Combat Mission, run great but what happens when HOI5 comes or Combat Mission updates its engine and it needs more then OpenGL4.1? Then what is the developer going to do? Are they going to say they want to spend the huge costs and time to convert to Metal for their small base of Macs OR just drop the Mac? It is a hard justification for the huge costs on proprietary Apple only Macs and their small gaming marketshare. Combat Mission is a great example because its engine did not support OpenGL as it was in RAVE and did support MacOS X (required MacOS 9 only). However, because OpenGL is a standard, it made sense to support OpenGL in an updated engine and now they have Mac OS X support. Theres the 3rd party implementation MoltenVK, but is unknown how viable it is or if it even works.

View PostSneaky Snake, on 16 July 2017 - 03:22 PM, said:

Probably the primary difference between now and 2015 is Metal. One can make the argument that Mac's were just as strong graphically back then (relatively speaking), but you have to keep in mind that every Mac port coming was dragging the dead weight that was Apple's terrible OpenGL support. Ports back then were automatically going to have 25-50% less performance than the windows version due to OpenGL; whereas nowadays ports are coming out with Metal and are meeting or exceeding bootcamp performance.

Yea Apple dropped OpenGL many years before, although their history has been behind and low performance OpenGL which they could have rewrote. My take on Mac Gaming status is mostly on developer support and not on highest performance.

#446034 The State of Mac Gaming in 2017 (Ars Article)

Posted by Spike on 16 July 2017 - 11:18 AM in General

View Postjeannot, on 16 July 2017 - 10:06 AM, said:

In 2015 for instance, all Macs except Mac Pros had anaemic laptop GPUs and Metal wasn't mature. That's when Blizzard said that overwatch wasn't possible on macOS.
Now we have iMacs with decent GPUs, Metal 2 has been announced with eGPU and VR support.

Thanks for giving me an idea of the timeframe that you believe Macs had slow GPUs. I dont see 2015 Macs as having slow GPUs comparatively. All iMacs dont have the thermals to use high end GPUs and I should have characterized high end GPUs instead of saying desktop class above (oops). I haven't seen the 2015 R9 290 as fairing worse against competing 2015 GPUs then the current Radeon Pro 500 series in the iMac does against its competing GPUs, but I leave that as a matter of opinion. I think the Radeon Pros are awesome chips, but I think the r9 290 was awesome for 2015 as well. Current iMacs are still unupgradable and benefit a lot less from future eGPUs.

Metal 2 has been announced but not here yet and I was talking about now. The open standard Vulkan would have been better then Metal. Of course DirectX is also closed, but Microsoft has over 90% of the market. Apple having single digit marketshare means it needs to support open standards in my view.

#446031 The State of Mac Gaming in 2017 (Ars Article)

Posted by Spike on 16 July 2017 - 09:51 AM in General

View Postjeannot, on 16 July 2017 - 01:58 AM, said:

I disagree. Mac gaming was worse before, when all we had was slow GPUs (the new iMacs are quite good) and outdated APIs

So what time frame are your referring to? Although I care more about developers making Mac versions, using slow GPUs is also now worse then ever that I can think of. Now there is only one Mac model that has a desktop class GPU and its 3.5 years old and unupgradable (and gaming not its strongpoint).

#446027 The State of Mac Gaming in 2017 (Ars Article)

Posted by Spike on 15 July 2017 - 05:42 PM in General

I thought the Ars Technica article was pretty bad myself. They declared Mac Gaming to be dead in 2007?? I have been gaming on Mac 95% of the time this whole time. Mac gaming has been fine. Although now it is at its worse then ever, I still game on my Mac fine. The two main issues I see are the unupgradable hardware and dropping the open standard API. However, now with future support of external GPUs, I believe that will reverse this trend.

#445993 New Diablo III class Necromancer live last week

Posted by Spike on 09 July 2017 - 03:51 PM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

Havent played D3 in years and now playing again with the new Necromancer, I have to say - Dang. I remember now what I dont like about this game, it is way way too easy. The class is so overpowered its ridiculous. I only chose Hard difficulty, but I compensated by never bother socketing anything or trying to get the best gear. Others that prefer fast action and ultra fast killing may like this game, but those dont appeal to me.

I miss Diablo II, that was the best game. At least I got to play it a few months before Blizzard broke the Mac version with the 1.14d update :sad:.

#445963 New Diablo III class Necromancer live last week

Posted by Spike on 04 July 2017 - 10:04 AM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

Blizzard updated Diablo III with a new class, the Necromancer in their update last week in a $14.99 DLC. This also includes 2 more character slots and Stash tabs.

Thou I like Diablo II better, I havent been able to play it in 12 months since it crashes on launch since the 1.14d update.

#445949 Flight Sims and Aerial Combat Games With Joystick Control

Posted by Spike on 01 July 2017 - 09:56 PM in General

War Thunder?

#445937 StarCraft: Remastered

Posted by Spike on 29 June 2017 - 11:58 PM in Mac Strategy

Blizzard now has the starcraft remastered up for preorder (for 14.99). Yay.

#445838 Answer questions for the Feral newsletter!

Posted by Spike on 19 June 2017 - 01:10 PM in General

Stealth all the way. I prefer more tactics than mindless dps.

#445829 macOS 10.13 - High Sierra

Posted by Spike on 18 June 2017 - 12:55 AM in Mac OS Related

View PostJanichsan, on 17 June 2017 - 07:03 PM, said:

Apple currently doesn't even provide HFS+ drivers for Bootcamp, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Thats strange. I have had read access to my HFS+ partition ever since Bootcamp version 3 (in 10.6) and have never installed any other drivers. I also have file C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\AppleHFS.sys.