Spike's Content

There have been 64 items by Spike (Search limited from 12-December 16)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#447524 Answer questions for the Feral newsletter!

Posted by Spike on Today, 11:18 AM in General

When Empire: Total War returned to the Mac App Store.

#447461 Join the battle for net neutrality

Posted by Spike on 05 December 2017 - 07:55 PM in Off-Topic

Trying not to get political, but its very bad that FCC chairman Ajit Pai is trying to take our internet freedom and rights away and might succeed. The FCC is doing a lot of underhanded tactics and ignoring their own rules.

Im with you on this one Ballmer!

#447452 Bungie Caught With Their Pants Down by Destiny 2 Players?

Posted by Spike on 05 December 2017 - 02:42 PM in Off-Topic

I dont know what DIAF stands for, but it sounds bad. I also (assuming) hate subscription models to just play a game.

The game I want THE MOST is WoW Classic and so the only thing I am praying for is it doesnt have subscription... please-o-please-o-please!

#447443 Bungie Caught With Their Pants Down by Destiny 2 Players?

Posted by Spike on 04 December 2017 - 11:55 PM in Off-Topic

Diablo 3 also has xpac and then they came out with paid dlc (that I bought and hated as the necro is too overpowered). So it also has additional income.

This trend is great.

#447421 Bungie Caught With Their Pants Down by Destiny 2 Players?

Posted by Spike on 03 December 2017 - 07:02 PM in Off-Topic

View PostJanichsan, on 03 December 2017 - 02:18 PM, said:

What have games like The Sims, Civilization, StarCraft, and CounterStrike in common, what Disney Infinity, Marvel Heroes, and – unfortunately – Oni have not?

They are massively popular.

Popularity is what keeping them alive and supported, and what drives the still existing sales of these in part decades old games. Not a massive number of expansions, not DLC, and certainly not microtransactions.

Obviously the main reason for game shut down is unpopularity. Let me put this another way. Assume there are two games that are exactly identical and so have same popularity - one with and one does not have microtransactions. The one with microtransactions would be more likely to receive updates for a longer time.

View PostJanichsan, on 03 December 2017 - 02:18 PM, said:

On the other hand, microtransaction and DLC haven't saved a single game that wasn't popular "enough"

Disagree. Microtransactions, DLC, etc have let games continue support longer.

It costs to run servers, a fact of business. I dont know anything about Star Wars Battlefront II as there is no Mac version, but again I am saying microtransactions, dlc, xpacs allows a better chance of a game being saved then if there were no microtransactions (but why would one want to have a game saved if it sux?)

#447410 Bungie Caught With Their Pants Down by Destiny 2 Players?

Posted by Spike on 03 December 2017 - 10:38 AM in Off-Topic

View PostJanichsan, on 03 December 2017 - 02:33 AM, said:

And yet history is also full of examples of games no longer supported or shutdown online despite having microtransactions, DLC packs, or other means to secure a constant revenue stream, like Marvel Heroes, Disney Infinity, or FIFA 14.

And vice versa games that are still supported despite having neither countless expansions and/or microtransactions, like CounterStrike/CS Source, StarCraft 1, and Diablo II.

We werent implying 100% of games are one way or the other, just that its rare for games that have no microtransactions, expansions, dlc, etc, to be updated.

Although the topic is about Destiny 2 which I dont know anything about, I have played a few Mac games that have microtransactions and saw no problem at all with them and like them.

#447402 Bungie Caught With Their Pants Down by Destiny 2 Players?

Posted by Spike on 01 December 2017 - 07:24 PM in Off-Topic

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 01 December 2017 - 03:30 PM, said:

Does this mean you like micro-transactions all of the time, because I cannot think of an instance where it is not crystal clear what they are for? Also, do you believe that EA and Activision as the two major culprits brought up here with the examples of SWBF2 and Destiny 2 desperately need more money to support and update AAA games that sell for $60. a pop and generally are followed up with expansions? Do these major companies really need to for example, gate progress to extract more money from players willing to pay to remove that suckage from the game they already paid full AAA price for?

My statement "I like micro transactions when its clear what they are for" means not all of the time but when its clear what they are for. I have played a few games that the micro-transactions are great and like it that way.
I have never played SWBF2 or Destiny 2 since there are no Mac versions and so do not know anything about those two examples. If a $60 game is purchased and a person expected something from it and then found could not get it without micro-transactions, then that would be bad. I have bought many many $60 games that have zero micro-transactions and found they sucked and immediately deleted. Theres always a risk buying something.

Lots of games can be played free or reduced cost thanks to micro-transactions, which then help support the developers.

#447398 Bungie Caught With Their Pants Down by Destiny 2 Players?

Posted by Spike on 01 December 2017 - 02:53 PM in Off-Topic

Completely agree with Matt Diamond as those very small examples are rare and not the norm. I have Aspyr and Feral games that no longer run on my current computer.

I like micro transactions when its clear what they are for as it gives developers much needed money to support and update games.

#447335 macOS 10.13 - High Sierra

Posted by Spike on 25 November 2017 - 08:54 PM in Mac OS Related

A great article on OWC blog "The Speed of APFS: Just How Fast Is It?"

I found how to install 10.13 without converting to APFS, so I might update to 10.13 when 10.13.2 or 10.13.3 is released. I have also read how many have games playing slowly with it currently.

#447284 Answer questions for the Feral newsletter!

Posted by Spike on 20 November 2017 - 10:49 AM in General

95% Mac and 5% Bootcamp Windows. I love Macs as they are awesome at everything except games. I wish more of the types of games I like would have Mac versions as it blows to lose my Mac to reboot to Windows.

Edit: Actually:
95% Mac
4.5%  Bootcamp Windows
0.5% iPhone.

#447110 Blizzard announced bringing World of Warcraft Classic at Blizzcon

Posted by Spike on 07 November 2017 - 10:23 AM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

View Postnick68k, on 07 November 2017 - 07:44 AM, said:

Questing and mobs will scale with your level now

I wish they would add group scaling like in Diablo. Killing a mob in Wow takes like 16 seconds, but if you group with 1 person, then takes like 8 seconds etc.

#447065 Blizzard announced bringing World of Warcraft Classic at Blizzcon

Posted by Spike on 04 November 2017 - 02:22 AM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

World of Warcraft Classic
Blizzard announcement video: https://youtu.be/TcZyiYOzsSw

A Classic Server option. Woot! Some details still to be determined. Looks awesome :rolleyes:.

#447003 Mac App Store Vs. Steam?

Posted by Spike on 28 October 2017 - 01:46 PM in General

What I got from all the posts is also that people have mixed preferences, but we all agree on one thing, buy from all of the stores. Theres no unattended consequences.

#446995 Mac App Store Vs. Steam?

Posted by Spike on 27 October 2017 - 10:12 AM in General

I gave a bad example trying to illustrate the point of steam requiring the game to be at specific locations. Wow, that was a bad example.

#446990 Mac App Store Vs. Steam?

Posted by Spike on 26 October 2017 - 11:48 PM in General

ugh.

Anyway, as I already wrote and will write again here, steam requires the games to be run from specific locations. MAS games however, I can move, organize and run where I want them (which obviously includes outside a steam library).

#446986 Mac App Store Vs. Steam?

Posted by Spike on 26 October 2017 - 07:03 PM in General

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 26 October 2017 - 05:57 PM, said:

It's easy to move an existing Steam library or any part thereof wherever you want....

I did not write about moving a steam library. I wrote about moving a game application and running it from where I currently decide to move it to.

Edit: Also, steam really needs to remove those old games that no longer work with current systems. Yet they still show them as able to buy like they would work.

#446980 Mac App Store Vs. Steam?

Posted by Spike on 26 October 2017 - 03:46 PM in General

View PostLaurensvo, on 26 October 2017 - 12:15 PM, said:

Does anyone use Mac AppStore (MAS)? Does anyone recommend it?

I use MAS as my main store and I recommend it. MAS has some stupid problems such as:
- trying to pause large downloads (such as tens of GB) and try to resume later
- MAS will not update applications that are on external drive (so I boot up on the external drive to update them)

Steam has things I cant stand such as:
- Not able to move games to where I want them such as small or frequent games on internal SSD AND large or rare games on external hard drive
- Intrusive tracking. Steam tracks which games you run and how much time and frankly that is none of steams business what game I run
- Annoying DRM of having to log in just to play a game (going to offline mode also has annoyances)

#446965 Mac App Store Vs. Steam?

Posted by Spike on 25 October 2017 - 02:06 PM in General

I buy anywhere but steam, except for rare games that are no where else that I have to have. MAS is my preferred store, even though the app has a lot of problems.

#446920 Apple Photos App Confusion

Posted by Spike on 23 October 2017 - 01:29 PM in Off-Topic

I avoid Google because it is the internet plague.

#446896 Heliborne

Posted by Spike on 20 October 2017 - 02:20 PM in Mac Simulators

Can anyone let me know if Heliborne requires steam to play?

#446895 macOS 10.13 - High Sierra

Posted by Spike on 20 October 2017 - 11:24 AM in Mac OS Related

Recently read that APFS also does not fully support fast catalog searching, which is used by searching tools that I use since Apple does not search within bundles etc..

Anyway, I found an Apple Support article about how to download 10.12 Sierra. I am so glad I never downloaded 10.13 with its forcing of APFS conversion :) .

#446668 macOS 10.13 - High Sierra

Posted by Spike on 30 September 2017 - 12:15 PM in Mac OS Related

For those who want Sierra installer:
This macrumors.com site has a comment from farewelwilliams that gives a direct link as well as a comment from jasminetroll which gives instructions how to download Sierra installer.

Im not touching High Sierra for quite a while since Apple is forcing APFS.

#446578 Answer questions for the Feral newsletter!

Posted by Spike on 20 September 2017 - 10:51 AM in General

Will be in 2017? (cough) window is a little tight (cough).

Universe Sandbox 2. First, because it is a simulation and so has reality to it. One can also learn about our universe and space is the future.

#446519 Apple Sept Event......!

Posted by Spike on 12 September 2017 - 10:15 PM in Mac Hardware

Yes, I know there is still the SE that is also taller then my 4S. If I were to upgrade now, I would get the SE and put up with a little bigger phone.

#446517 Apple Sept Event......!

Posted by Spike on 12 September 2017 - 06:33 PM in Mac Hardware

View Postmattw, on 12 September 2017 - 02:29 PM, said:

iPhone tech is all very nice but nothing must have for me, whilst I'm in the minority, I still find the newer iPhones too big now (I can't use them one handed and the 6 onwards feel like a bar of soap and more slippy in my hand. I'm not a phone addict like many people are these days and will always prefer to use my Mac or iPad for most things unless travelling. Happy with my SE for size, weight, and performance - if there are still enough of us out there maybe there will be something to follow it but no rush yet.

Also quoted for truth.

The iPhone choice of too big or way too big doesnt appeal to me as I just cannot lug around a huge phone all the time. My iPhone 4S is the perfect size and is mobile. Apple doesnt get bezel-less in that the reason it is so great is it can make the phone smaller, but Apple screwed that up. Having that notch for Face ID, I would rather go without Face ID. I dont care for any of the other stuff except the A11 processor.

I also dont care for cellular on Apple Watch, would much rather have thinner or longer battery life.