DirtyHarry50's Content

There have been 331 items by DirtyHarry50 (Search limited from 21-October 16)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#446894 Apple Photos App Confusion

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on Yesterday, 09:05 AM in Off-Topic

View Postmacdude22, on 19 October 2017 - 03:31 PM, said:

Ya are you using OneDrive iOS app to upload your photos to OneDrive or do you want to enable iCloud Photo Library (which is not the same as Photostream)? iCloud library will sync the Photos library on any mac/ios device that has iCloud library enabled. Basically you get a new library, the iCloud Photo Library. You can then copy/merge additional items/libraries into that library. If going the iCloud route I would suggest turning off iCloud library on all devices, then enabling it first on the primary device (your phone?), getting the library configured to your specifications, then enabling it on additional devices.

I don't know anything about how the OneDrive iOS app determines what to automatically upload in the background when you enable this in the app (I don't use OneDrive). It sounds like OneDrive doesn't just scoop up your photos when this is enabled but sends them up as you take them. I would imagine there is some ability to tell it to send the rest, but I have never used the app.

I would not recommend turning off iCloud iOS backups unless you are using iTunes to backup the device. You will lose any app settings, saves, etc.... in the event of a device failure. The backups themselves only backup custom data (ergo apps are not included in the backup because they get re-downloaded from Apple during restore)

Thanks for all the detail here too. I did not say it clearly being too lazy to go look up the precise name of the setting but I turned on iCloud Library on both the iPhone and iPad when I got them which was about a week apart almost 1.5 years ago now I think. So library sizes should be nearly identical but they are way off. My interpretation was something is wrong with that but I don't know what and I am sick of dealing with broken stuff. It should have always kept both devices and iCloud itself in sync but that did not happen. I have no idea why. Either I tripped some strange bug that requires a unique set of circumstances to make it happen or I screwed it up sometime along the way somehow on my own. I don't know how I could have done that though since I set it and forget it for that. I rarely mess with settings in iOS at all. In fact, for months I have been meaning to go prune the stupid number of notifications I get but I haven't gotten to it.

Yeah, the device backups stay on. I can drop iCloud back to 5 GB free and it'll support that. I don't need anything else on there.

#446893 Apple Photos App Confusion

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on Yesterday, 08:58 AM in Off-Topic

View PostTetsuya, on 19 October 2017 - 02:51 PM, said:

I mean... you might be anti Google (i dunno), but...Google Photos will do -exactly- what youre talking about.  Even on iOS.  I use it on my phone (Android 7.1.x via LineageOS) and my iPad (iOS 11), and my HTPC (OS X 10.9), and my daily-driver (High Sierra).  It will also automatically upload your entire existing iPhoto library, and can be set (if you choose) to keep itself synced with that library (if new photos get added to your iPhoto library, they are added to Google Photos automatically).  Works on Windows as well.  

You couldnt pay me to use iCloud or OneDrive.  Theyre both unintuitive messes, IMO.  

Thank you. This sounds like the way to go for me and I like the pricing for 100 GB at 20 bucks annually. That's plenty for what I want to store there.

Thanks for all the replies. Rereading it just now that post was really horrible. I'm sorry! I was all over the place and not clear about the basic issue and desired cure. Maybe that was a late night one (I hope). I haven't been sleeping right for a while now which results in me being more out to lunch than usual.

A big plus for me with Google is they are everywhere. It doesn't matter what this crazy changeling feels like doing or trying this week. Whatever I feel like using Google is on it. There is major value in that for me personally.

The deal with Google of course is: software and services in exchange for user data. In a word, whatever. I don't care and it isn't like I have not learned about and considered what it is that I choose to not care about.

#446886 Suggestions For Windows 10 Performance Tuning

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 18 October 2017 - 11:58 PM in Off-Topic

Later that same year...

I managed to tweak Windows 10, app and service startups and more to get the HP laptop into a usable state not that the performance could be called good. Boot time is down from over 10 minutes to a useable desktop at around 3 minutes. Once I get a working desktop I have noticed overall performance has improved significantly also. So while not great, it'll do.

For anyone interested the major fixes were as follows:
  • Remove iCloud not because it is bad per se but simply because the overhead is too much for this PC with Windows 10.

• Reviewed all startup processes and disabled anything rarely used or unnecessary

• Turned on write caching for the boot disk which is safe overall given that this is a battery backed laptop

• Employed the delayed start feature for certain services to accelerate getting to a working desktop. The delay on a system which performs this poorly is not meaningful. However, the fact that Windows also lowers the priority of delayed services when they do execute is somewhat helpful. Interestingly to me since I did not know this before, Microsoft delays start of certain of their own services to improve startup performance. One has to exercise care here since messing with this can impact various dependencies and cause errors but judicious use of the feature is helpful. Errors are not difficult to isolate and fix if you don't go overboard with it.

• Last but not least, after reading about Readyboost first introduced with Windows Vista and still present in Windows 10, I decided to try it and see if it helped also. I used a Sandisk 16 GB USB 3 stick and rebooted multiple times trying to populate the cache faster than would normally happen. I made zero attempt to formally test the impact of using this but subjectively speaking I think it has helped significantly. It isn't difficult to believe it would on a system like this with cheap 5400 RPM rusty badness and 4 GB of RAM.
So the tweaks in total helped a lot but naturally, this is as low as low end gets really. I don't think systems that perform like this should even be sold but that's another topic for another time I guess.

Speaking of another time... you know what all of this means ultimately? What does one do with crappy low end PC hardware? That's right. It's time for more Adventures in Linux!!!

Yep, the guy who whines about complexity in the Photos app is excited about what's new in the wonderful world of linux. I'll save that for another thread here in off-topic which may become the new home for the resident special snowflake, otherwise known as a real man who runs linux and loves editing configuration files by hand with the standard text EDitor, the mighty ed. Tune in next time for, "Fun with Kubuntu!"

Yes, I know that people who use the mighty ed should at least use Arch if they are too lazy to use Gentoo but the less work this particular box and the crazy fool working it has to do the better for now. Oh, and just one more thing. Who needs games when there is linux to play with? I mean, how can they be more fun than linux?

#446885 Windows gaming via Parallels or VMware Fusion?

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 18 October 2017 - 11:09 PM in Windows Gaming

By the way, a check of WineHQ's AppDB reveals LOL in its most current version has a Gold rating. A quick perusal of the info made me wonder if it would be more hassle than its worth but then again, I sometimes found I could set up games with less fanfare than various folks posted about and yet still achieve good results. So Wineskin might be of help there and provide better performance than a virtual machine setup. I would be inclined to test the VMware solution first though as it is easier if you have a Windows license to use anyway.

#446884 Windows gaming via Parallels or VMware Fusion?

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 18 October 2017 - 11:02 PM in Windows Gaming

I used both but it was years ago so I couldn't speak for current performance either. The thing that won't have changed though is the inescapable overhead involved in running such a demanding application in a virtual machine. The port would have to be pretty bad for a VM solution to be superior to it in my opinion. I would especially be wary of playing any competitive multiplayer game in a virtual machine because you don't want any performance hit at all there, the reason I suspect you are wanting to try something other than a port you aren't pleased with.

What I found them to be great for in terms of gaming was to be able to run older games beautifully when they work which was often. I don't mean ancient either but I wouldn't even consider anything new really and certainly not new AAA although I imagine LOL is not so demanding as those games? Maybe it is.

Anyway, it never hurts to try I guess and you can do a free trial of either product probably. Personally, I am with Frost on the Parallels issue of milking users for more cash. I ditched them when they made a false claim about a version not being capable of operating at all unless upgraded for a new macOS which was not true. It worked fine for me and other people. That means, either they didn't test it at all or they lied. The software is decent but the suits in that company are bad news.

I found VMware to be a superior product and with a fair and decent management at least several years ago. I wouldn't even touch Parallels. I'd go straight for VMware. It nothing else, you may find it a great way to run older Windows games without messing around with Wine. I had VMs for Windows XP SP3, Windows 7 SP1 (?) and the occasional linux I think and everything just worked well.

Lastly, after years of trailing Parallels in Windows gaming performance, at the time I switched which was maybe 3 years ago, they had come up from behind and were outperforming Parallels. Of course, I have no idea how things are now but I can tell you that if it were me, again I would go straight to VMware. I never cared about all the integration stuff Parallels loves to market. I always wanted my VMs to live in their own little isolated worlds and not to have anything related to Windows showing up anywhere on my Mac unless it was contained inside that VM when I started it up. I guess some people like that but not me.

#446883 Apple Photos App Confusion

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 18 October 2017 - 10:19 PM in Off-Topic

I wasn't sure where to put this but off topic seemed best given I don't own a Mac presently but I do own an iPhone and iPad Pro and an HP Low Performance Craptop which had iCloud installed but has it no more due to performance issues. That isn't to blame iCloud by the way. Starting up multiple cloud services and other stuffs was not helping the cause of my gimpy laptop so for now iCloud needed to go.

So, I have Photos now being uploaded to OneDrive automagically on my iOS devices and I would prefer to extricate all my photos and videos from the labyrinthine nested folders the iOS Photos app uses to stash them all away. Why they chose this complexity is beyond me but I guess there is some reason for it. Maybe one of you guys could enlighten me there. I'm sure there is a reason but I am also sure i hate having everything buried in a structure like that. I will explain one reason why momentarily and then finally get to the point here, the questions I have.

I bought into 50 GB of iCloud to ensure I had ample room for all my photos and videos I take with my iPhone or get from my kids along with a place to stash certain data files and so that there is ample room for iOS backups to happen by themselves without the whining about how your device has not been backed up since forever, etc.

I had this dumb idea that if I set my devices to use iCloud for photos and videos that these would sync across my two iOS devices along with iCloud having everything safely held as well. This is not what has happened and I have no idea how to make it happen and I don't even care about it anymore. I am sick of unnecessary complexity in something that should after these many years be dead simple and yet it is not unless maybe I am dead simple and that is the problem. Even so, Apple is supposed to make stuff just work for dummies like me who possess only limited understanding of anything beyond things of specific personal interest. The size of my Photos file, database, whatever the hell it is, is much larger on my iPhone than on my iPad. The iPad tends to be where I might download stuff the kids send me in Messages because I don't do Facebook. Meantime, the phone is where photos and videos get taken. OneDrive only seems to have grabbed what's been taken since I started using it again recently. It's all screwed up. Nothing is synced and everything is syncless and I can't ever just browse and copy the damned files from one place to another because they are buried in the Photos folders.

How do I fix this mess? Where did I go wrong? How could I have been so stupid? Somebody, please help me. I just want to extricate everything and set these devices up to send everything they receive or create in the way of photos and videos to the cloud in a human manageable format, as in not buried in any folder structure unless I make it myself. It does not need to be iCloud or OneDrive although the latter is prefered and seems to work more in line with how I expect it to.

Is there is simple way to tell Photos to export everything somewhere so I can manage it myself? I have to confess it occurs to me now I can't recall looking at the app to even see. How do you guys deal with this? I want simplicity and control over my data. That's all I want. You know, like it used to be once upon a time before various companies took it upon themselves to help us, to simplify our lives by hiding everything so when anything is the matter we have no clue... when we want to manage our data we aren't quite sure where it all is, etc.

#446877 Best Mac Computers for Gaming 2015

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 18 October 2017 - 05:44 AM in IMG Reviews Discussion

View PostSteve Ballmer, on 16 October 2017 - 08:14 AM, said:

Glad to hear that, lol, you people are soooooo sensitive

I am NOT sensitive!!!

Dammit!

Don't you have some Excel spreadsheets to recalc all that money or something???

#446852 Is there really a such thing as a Mac game?

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 14 October 2017 - 05:56 AM in General

View PostSteve Ballmer, on 13 October 2017 - 01:35 PM, said:

F.  I have a 33% stake in Borderbund, I defacto own Mavis Beacon.

Broderbund!

Learn to grammar Steve and to spell too. That last post was just ridiculous! No wonder they put you out to pasture.

You must be right at home in the world of sports. Where else can you be surrounded by rich and famous people who all skipped college but somehow were awarded degrees anyway?

#446851 Is there really a such thing as a Mac game?

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 14 October 2017 - 05:45 AM in General

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 12 October 2017 - 01:59 PM, said:

Good thing I'm a cat and not a human.  I watched the entire thing.  Now if you will excuse me, I'm just going to lick this barf back up while it is still warm.  Any cat will tell you that tuna is a terrible thing to waste.

I was enjoying a nice bacon, egg and cheese sandwich on toast for breakfast just now when I was treated to this bit of flowery prose, or should I say barfy prose? Don't worry though. I still enjoyed it just the same. I became comfortably numb well before anyone wrote a song about it.

#446819 Best Mac Computers for Gaming 2015

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 11 October 2017 - 10:36 PM in IMG Reviews Discussion

View PostSteve Ballmer, on 11 October 2017 - 07:35 PM, said:

I have 132 Billion dollars, reality is whatever I say it is!

Alrighty then. Please tell me a brand new top of the line, decked out MacBook Pro will soon be on its way to me, courtesy of one Steve Ballmer who is mindful of the strategic importance of tossing the Apple crowd a bone from time to time. There is no salvation for me. It is too late now. I cannot be assimilated, converted or otherwise moved to change my mind about what a real computer is, not even in the face of the man who holds reality in his very hands thanks to more than a few bucks in the bank or so he tells me.

Help me out here Steve. You don't mind if I call you Steve do you? After all, you probably blow more money on jockstraps annually than this would cost you and think of how good you'd feel about it. Think of how good I'd feel about it and how good that would make you feel about it and so on. It's just pure win, you know? You love winning Steve. Be a winner. PM me for my shipping address because winning isn't everything, it's the only thing! You've always been a winner Steve! Don't change now!

#446817 Is there really a such thing as a Mac game?

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 11 October 2017 - 08:33 PM in General

I'm pretty sure this takes the prize to this day for being the worst promo video Microsoft has ever released:

https://www.youtube....h?v=DkQ0c6iwxr4

I still remember the way the chant made my skin crawl. It still does. I tried to watch it all just now but I couldn't take it past 3 minutes I think. I think 3 minutes at a time is about the maximum allowable human dosage for this.

#446791 Is there really a such thing as a Mac game?

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 10 October 2017 - 06:02 PM in General

View PostEllieFeral, on 10 October 2017 - 10:08 AM, said:

Slightly impressed that this thread has hit two pages.

"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the Mac gaming dogs of war." Oh, and also, "Release the Feral Cats!"

#446790 Vulkan Officially Released - No Mac Support

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 10 October 2017 - 05:45 PM in IMG News Discussion

View PostSteve Ballmer, on 05 October 2017 - 01:52 AM, said:

No mac support .... and you are surprised?

Nope not at all but fortunately it isn't any loss.

#446770 Aspyr's upcoming projects

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 10 October 2017 - 04:38 AM in General

View PostMatt Diamond, on 09 October 2017 - 04:59 PM, said:

Good point. Beans are contraindicated if you lack a colon.

For a brief moment I was just transported back in time... recalling, "Blazing Saddles."

#446744 Is there really a such thing as a Mac game?

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 06 October 2017 - 10:25 AM in General

I haven't had time for it yet but I was hoping the blog would be good, enlightening fun. I'm glad to hear I have something to look forward to there.

#446736 Is there really a such thing as a Mac game?

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 05 October 2017 - 07:26 PM in General

Mr. Ballmer is fine. I don't think he is a troll. He loves that company! He can't even help it. He still loves that company. He will always love that company. This is just something the man needs to do. We are like heathen needing redemption to this guy. He is just trying to help us in his own enthusiastic and direct way.

You guys do know that between posts Mr. Ballmer is sweating and out of breath from dancing around his PC screaming, right?

#446735 Best Mac Computers for Gaming 2015

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 05 October 2017 - 07:12 PM in IMG Reviews Discussion

View PostSteve Ballmer, on 05 October 2017 - 03:06 PM, said:

LOL - You people think that Macs are real computers?

You slay me!
wait a minute now ....

Are you trying to give the impression that you know the difference between what is real and what is not? Seriously?

You make me lol!

#446721 Deus Ex: Mankind Divided™ – Announcement trailer

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 04 October 2017 - 06:35 PM in Mac Action & Shooters

I must stay on topic or else I will be in even more trouble.

Have you hugged a Feral Kitty today? They need love too!

#446715 Is there really a such thing as a Mac game?

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 04 October 2017 - 04:20 AM in General

View PostG_Player, on 03 October 2017 - 11:21 PM, said:

....I want to see what Windows will be doing five years from now, I'll buy a Mac today.

This was the best part. Good stuff! :)

I recall not long ago some reminiscing here about this very Mr. Ballmer I believe. What timing for his return. I am looking forward to more of yesterday's news here myself from the one and only.

If only Sports Illustrated could get us a video of Mr. Ballmer getting worked up and doing the dance for his sports team. I suspect he has just as much energy as ever and yet this incredible ability to reach a fever pitch just short of a nuclear meltdown without blowing a gasket. This is truly amazing to behold as in the storied video of old showcasing the amazing at a Microsoft sales meeting. That was priceless. I believe I still have my own copy of that moment in history.

#446702 Aspyr's upcoming projects

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 03 October 2017 - 04:24 PM in General

I think it has been a good while since the last iOS port by Aspyr also. I can't recall if that was Jade Empire or maybe something else.

#446700 Is there really a such thing as a Mac game?

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 03 October 2017 - 04:08 PM in General

I shouldn't take the bait here but...

Any game that runs on a Mac can be called a Mac game.

I think you missed the memo about how many AAA games are ported to Windows from console origins which means that plenty of good games that wind up on Windows are ports to Windows, you know, like plenty of good games are ported to Mac. Yes, you get more of them and it is no wonder all things considered.

The truth is just fine for people who make considered decisions they feel good about. I know I would far prefer to be using a nice MacBook running macOS but for the time being I am running a cheapo HP laptop with a free (legally so) copy of Windows 10 because you get what you pay for basically, as usual. Hmm, maybe you were right. I suppose the truth must hurt for you if your daily driver is some Windows box. No wonder you need to write a post like this trying to make yourself feel better.

Personally, games (many of them ported from console) are about the only thing that could justify owning a PC for me. Fortunately, I have consoles for that.

By the way Steve, how's the mobile Windows phone business working out? Do those still exist?

#446695 Feral's upcoming project?

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 03 October 2017 - 12:24 PM in General

View Postjeannot, on 03 October 2017 - 12:41 AM, said:

Personally, I'd prefer if Feral did less Lego games, and no iOS games at all to focus on Mac games. iOS already has too many games.

Well it just goes to show how they can't please all the people all the time. LEGO games must sell well or they wouldn't do so many. Lots of people like them even though I can understand having the wishes/preferences you do. I am somebody who was just thrilled to see Feral begin bringing games to iOS and even though I knew I wouldn't have time for it yet, I bought Rome:Total War when it released for iOS because I also knew I wanted to play it on my iPad and given that, buying it on release was my very small way of supporting them coming to iOS. I have since played it some but not seriously yet. I love what I have seen so far. They did an awesome job with the touch controls in my opinion. They did an awesome job period, as usual.

I wouldn't assume that branching out into other areas such as iOS ports necessarily means cutting back elsewhere. That assumes a lot that might or might not be true. One thing I would say is for sure is that if the iOS games sell well, what's good for Feral is probably also good for the Mac side of things in a general sense.

I'd agree with you that iOS has too many games. However, I would argue that iOS could certainly use more high quality games that come in one piece without microtransactions poisoning their designs and other issues relating to poor quality. So from my perspective I think it is fantastic to see Feral bringing games to iOS and look forward to upcoming releases as yet unknown.

#446674 Deus Ex: Mankind Divided™ – Announcement trailer

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 01 October 2017 - 10:31 AM in Mac Action & Shooters

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 30 September 2017 - 10:14 AM, said:

....handcuffed to Rosie O'Donnell....

Oh, no! Not Rosie! Anything but Rosie!!!

Meantime back on topic...

I always thought Feral employed the radar as a fun way to let people know things were in the works without announcing anything before it was safe to do so. Even then though, things can go wrong.

In any event they have a long history of getting so many things right that I feel badly for them when some people make errant assumptions about the company that aren't consistent with reality. I don't blame anyone for feeling frustrated by delays but sometimes they just can't be helped and sometimes they just cannot be publicly discussed at all. I don't envy developers and publishers tasked with managing expectations with the gaming crowd who can be a brutal bunch frankly, present company excepted of course! :peace:

#446666 Deus Ex: Mankind Divided™ – Announcement trailer

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 30 September 2017 - 10:14 AM in Mac Action & Shooters

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 30 September 2017 - 09:16 AM, said:

You said it again!!  Can't you see poor ipickert is beside himself??  To make matters worse he is highly offended by the comforting he is giving himself.  This is all on you Harry.  5 demerits and a night in the box.

Whew! No cattle prod? No water boarding? The Battle Cat must be going soft in his old age. Hmm, wonder what else I can get away with...

Oops! I did it again.

Edit:
::Evil Alternate Dimension Spock Cat beams into DH's forum post and nail guns Ensign Harry's Agonizer to his forehead::  Ensign, I had to euthanize ipickert because you cannot take a hint.  You are hereby confined to quarters where you will be handcuffed to Rosie O'Donnell.  May Bastet have mercy on your black soul.

#446660 Apple CPUs to Replace Intel in Macs?

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 29 September 2017 - 07:49 PM in Mac Hardware

I don't know if you guys had the time or interest to check out the two linked articles at the top of the page which were business focused rather than technology focused. It's all about the money with these guys and which companies will benefit and which will lose as Apple moves to develop more technology in-house while continuing to outsource all the manufacturing. So the topic of ARM processors was part of this but they were also getting into other device components. I forget already to what degree the article covered this vs leaving the details of it to the linked sources.