DirtyHarry50's Content

There have been 360 items by DirtyHarry50 (Search limited from 24-February 17)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#448308 Xbox, PlayStation, and Switch News

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 22 February 2018 - 06:05 PM in Off-Topic

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 22 February 2018 - 03:05 PM, said:

Hey I'm not aloof!  I'm simply better than alla you monkey folk.  There's a difference.

Oh, right. So sorry about that. Now if you will excuse me I think Iíll go have some fun with my opposable thumbs. Oh, Iím sorry... you donít have... aww... poor kitty.

#448307 Answer questions for the Feral newsletter!

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 22 February 2018 - 05:56 PM in General

Itís okay. Cats are curious about everything and cannot help it.

#448304 Answer questions for the Feral newsletter!

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 22 February 2018 - 01:38 PM in General

Well, if only Clint Eastwood could make a cameo appearance in the upcoming Red Dead Redemption 2, it would be him. Iíd love nothing better than to administer a little correction to some bad guys with a nice piece of hickory.

#448298 Xbox, PlayStation, and Switch News

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 22 February 2018 - 02:53 AM in Off-Topic

A game that I must play because, kittens!

#448274 What games are people playing these days!?

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 20 February 2018 - 08:56 AM in General

Over the past several days I played The Order: 1886 which I found to be a far better game than the reviews made it out to be generally speaking. I think they did quite a good job of what they set out to do with this title. It was very much a cinematic experience with many cutscenes, some of them being lengthy but they were all well done. Transitions into and back out of cutscenes were seamless with the gameplay experience in a way that flowed naturally which was something I think they did particularly well. I liked the story, characters and also the orchestral music. The voice acting is consistently excellent throughout.

The major problems with this game seem related to the management of expectations in my opinion along with the misguided choice to rely on quick time events for major encounters/boss battles. You could count the boss battles on one hand at least which was certainly a good thing here. I feel this really hurt the gameplay experience significantly unfortunately. Otherwise, it is a decent cover shooter for most of the gameplay portion which Iíd guess is perhaps 60% of the 10 or so hours a play though realistically takes. Complaints about the gameís length were unjustified but then the original $60. price tag arguably was as well I think.

Last but not least, the game certainly is a looker. The visual presentation is fantastic. With better gameplay design and a little further fleshing out of the story this could have been a hit and while it seems unlikely to me, I hope it sold enough to get a sequel that learns from the missteps the developers made this time around. It ends with ample room for a next installment in this world and a continuation of the story. It did not end on a cliffhanger but they could easily pick up where this left off to make something truly great. As it stands, The Order: 1886 is very much a worthwhile experience if a cinematic game appeals to you and you go into it with the patience for some quick time events. I should add that the game does not hit you with these constantly and when it does they arenít all that difficult. Most of the gameplay I found quite fun otherwise.

Despite its flaws, I consider this to be good game that does something different and succeeds much more often than it fails and I am glad to have experienced it.

#448249 What games are people playing these days!?

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 18 February 2018 - 05:06 PM in General

Papa & Yo was a very moving experience for me because I understood on a deeply personal level what the creator of the game was trying to express and illustrate. For a certain audience the game is a powerful experience. For anyone else I think it offers an interesting window into the world too many children grow up in but then one child would be too many. I saw the simple gameplay and surreal visuals as simply a vehicle to tell an important story.

#448236 What games are people playing these days!?

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 17 February 2018 - 11:47 PM in General

Tonight I finished the epic adventure of Final Fantasy VII on the PS4. Despite its age, this truly is a timeless classic in my opinion. Iím so glad I gave it another chance early on when I questioned why I was I playing a game from 1997 on a PS4 with a hefty backlog of modern titles. Something made me want to press on and see why this series is so endearing to so many people. I think I know now. The game has so much going for it even after all these years with its beautiful music, wonderful characters, interesting take on character progression, battle system, large world to see and an excellent story with a fair number of surprising twists and turns. I became very attached to the characters in the game over time. Although it remains at 4:3 aspect ratio, the increased resolution and what I think was some work on the character and monster models really looked surprisingly good to me. Once I became invested in the story and characters the visual issues became unimportant and as sometimes happens when enjoying an old classic, the looks and some of the mechanics took on a certain nostalgic backdrop for what still is a great example of what an outstanding, single player, story driven role playing game can be. I really loved playing this game.

#448226 Feral's upcoming project?

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 17 February 2018 - 10:57 AM in General

I fought the law and the law won...

#448225 What games are people playing these days!?

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 17 February 2018 - 10:54 AM in General

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 16 February 2018 - 09:38 AM, said:

Currently playing Cat Quest on my iPad, an action RPG. It is quite nice albeit somewhat shallow, but I like the looks of it, and there's a minor challenge in some of the fights. Good for couch, pooping or bed time gaming!

...And I had absolutely NO idea there were so many cat related puns in existance... O_o

I played the demo and recommended it to my youngest daughter. I want to play the whole game myself at some point. I love cats!

#448224 Star Trek Discovery

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 17 February 2018 - 10:41 AM in Off-Topic

Iím sorry but once Star Trek reached the pinnacle of perfection with the 1967 ďTrouble with TribblesĒ episode all true fans fondly remember, it was all downhill from there.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708480/

Iíd rather watch cows being milked for hours on end than Star Trek. Live long and prosper nostalgia!

#448172 Star Trek Discovery

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 11 February 2018 - 04:59 PM in Off-Topic

Star Trek is an American media franchise based on the science fiction television series created by Gene Roddenberry. The first television series, simply called Star Trek and now referred to as "The Original Series", debuted in 1966 and aired for three seasons on the television network NBC. It followed the interstellar adventures of Captain James T. Kirk (William Shatner) and his crew aboard the starship USS Enterprise, a space exploration vessel, built by the United Federation of Planets in the twenty-third century. Others followed where nobody had gone before but not as good. There is no good space shows like then today.

"Wink wink nudge nudge. Say no more, say no more."

#448171 Support the NNLO!

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 11 February 2018 - 04:50 PM in Off-Topic

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 11 February 2018 - 04:10 PM, said:

It fundamentally changed me.  Inside.  The Philippine bacteria are as abnormally large as the insects on those islands and I have one in a birdcage, but it's chewed all the chrome off the bars.

Post of the month, easily! lol

#448170 Homeworld Remastered Released for Mac!

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 11 February 2018 - 04:45 PM in Mac Strategy

I think the context of such threads should clarify what they are about but that does require paying some minimal amount of attention to what is being responded to.

Anyone can miss a date or respond to the most recent post without realizing what is going on once in a while. My response here and elsewhere on the same day was in recognition of a trend of not seeming to pay attention to what was being responded to. Naturally, I welcome whatever response Anas may have to offer to my comments. However, another trend I have noted is that his posts seem to be just FYI things for our enlightenment in which no further discussion is warranted no matter how we might respond to them.

#448169 IMG Forum tip jar?

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 11 February 2018 - 04:17 PM in IMG Website Network Feedback

I was thinking about this just the other day, what a big loss it would be to lose these forums. I wondered if establishing some kind of plan B would be an idea anyone else would be interested in. Google Groups came to mind as a possibility. Thatís only based on my imagination of what Google Groups is though. I have never used it. My thought was to have that setup but not actually use it until this goes down. Now that I think of it though, maybe Discord would serve the backup purpose just as well and in case of an apocalypse here, it could be our Vault until we established a new presence in the internet wasteland somewhere.

#448152 Support the NNLO!

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 09 February 2018 - 09:31 PM in Off-Topic

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 08 February 2018 - 11:13 AM, said:

When I lived in the Philippines our maid use to make us fried spam sandwiches with lots of mayo.  Surprised I survived that for a year, those bad boys sat in a hot tropical school locker all morning before flying past my tonsils.

That sounds like a character building experience if ever there was one.

#448151 Buying a strategy game for mac

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 09 February 2018 - 09:27 PM in Mac Strategy

View PostAnasDilshad, on 09 February 2018 - 01:14 AM, said:

1. Civilization
2. Company of Heroes 2

This question about a Christmas gift recommendation was asked and answered in 2016! I am pretty sure the OP was all set then!

Are you reading what you are responding to including the dates?

#448150 Homeworld Remastered Released for Mac!

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 09 February 2018 - 09:13 PM in Mac Strategy

View PostAnasDilshad, on 09 February 2018 - 01:19 AM, said:

The games were originally released in the early 90s, giving the strategy genre an all-new identity due to Homeworldís expansive space battles, much like Star Wars. The battles offered a scale which were never seen before, and are nowhere to be seen today either.

I donít mean to pick on you but not only were we here in this thread years ago now but we also were around when these games originally released. We are well aware of their history. We are hard core gaming enthusiasts. As such, resurrecting years old threads with statements of the obvious to this group isnít really of any educational value. Itís just the kind of distraction that necroíd threads are somewhat infamous for.

#448149 Gotta hate sites which refuse valid email addresses, IMG included

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 09 February 2018 - 09:05 PM in IMG Website Network Feedback

I donít know about this stuff. I was thinking a 30 day free trial of anarchy might be cool. You know, just to try it out for size.

#448148 Public Apology

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 09 February 2018 - 08:52 PM in Off-Topic

View PostFrost, on 09 February 2018 - 06:37 PM, said:

Wait, was it really 11 years ago I sent you that "At least you're not 60 yet!" happy birthday IM on here for 59?

It was funny for me to read this as I was born in 1959 and next month I will celebrate my 59th birthday.

ďHow old would you be if you didnít know how old you were? Age is a question of mind over matter. If you donít mind, it donít matter.Ē - Satchel Paige

I had long thought that the original form of this famous quote came from Mark Twain. This is a short and interesting little summary about the known history of it for anyone interested such as folks pushing 60, 70, etc.

https://quoteinvesti...12/18/age-mind/

#448127 Public Apology

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 08 February 2018 - 12:50 AM in Off-Topic

And now for something really fun and positive!

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=Cv6tuzHUuuk

#448126 Support the NNLO!

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 08 February 2018 - 12:38 AM in Off-Topic

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 07 February 2018 - 11:08 AM, said:

Well hell, that explains all the Naked Spanking Games spam I've been getting from them.

Hmm, itís almost enough to make care about whatever the original thing was.

SPAM: donít knock it Ďtill you fry it!

Naw, none of this bait will get me to bite.

#448118 Inspiring YOU!

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 06 February 2018 - 11:01 AM in Off-Topic

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 06 February 2018 - 10:34 AM, said:

I let my gym membership lapse a couple years ago.  I blew out both shoulder cuffs on a pectoral fly machine, made me an invalid for 6 weeks, crippled for 3 months, took 6 months before I could move somewhat normally where most of the muscle spasms and stiffness was gone.  There was no way I was going to go back and do that to my legs or hips, so now I'm a civilian.

Donít worry. You forget about your own built in all natural cat powers that do not depend on anything. You just have them.

Yesterday I witnessed my little kitten playing with my older one, jump vertically from a standing position to approximately two feet, maybe more, instantly. When she landed she hit the ground running in nearly the opposite direction sheíd lept straight up from. I am not making this up. She is amazing. She is also a little instigator who loves sneaking up on and attacking her best friend who is twice her size and then some not to mention yours truly.

A gym is for people, mere mortals who need all the help they can get. Cats have super powers!

#448115 Inspiring YOU!

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 05 February 2018 - 10:01 PM in Off-Topic

You know whatís funny? I just remembered that about four hours ago, I ordered the Taco Bell special with 3 Taco Supremes which included a giant Mountain Dew and then I asked for one of those beefy quesadilla things off the dollar menu (yes, in those words) please. Then I went right into my best deer-in-the-headlights blank stare until the young lady prompted me to swipe my card. I came to, did as told and explained to her that I need a lot of guidance and sadly itís probably going to worse before it gets any better. She had a good laugh at the crazy old guy sporting a brightly colored Beatles Yellow Submarine tie dye shirt and a Boston accent.

So, I really do worry about not getting enough I guess. Thatís sad but it makes me laugh out loud thinking about it. Iím sure I am not the only one.

It gets worse. I had to walk past Burger King on the way home and I actually condsidered maybe just cheeseburger for dessert, you know? Being the health conscious kinda guy I am, even if I did let my gym membership lapse I forget if it was two or three decades ago now, I resisted the temptation and kept on walking off the beefy quesadilla thing. Itís a damned good thing thereís no Dairy Queen around here. Iíd be screwed.

Took too much time. I guess I will be doing the drive through on foot again. Yeah, I really do that. It beats going without. One of these days theyíll probably put up a sign not allowing pedestrian orders there. What can possibly go wrong is how I see it, aside of the all too frequent order screw up. Is a speeding drive through driver going to run me over at 5 mph? Maybe an electric car could sneak up on me from behind, driven by someone texting but what are the odds? For two Whoppers after 11 PM, Iíll take my chances.

#448114 Inspiring YOU!

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 05 February 2018 - 09:33 PM in Off-Topic

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 05 February 2018 - 11:13 AM, said:

Wow Mr. Ballmer, all that monkey dancing has you buffed and ripped.  I am impressed, also I'm ashamed I doubted you.  Now I know what happens to all those disgusting fatties at the gym and I'm sorry I doubted them too.

Um, I can think of one case where no apology is needed. Oops! I gotta run. Burger King is closing soon and I need a couple of Double Whoppers with cheese, onion rings and maybe one or two picks off the dollar menu because I always worry that I might still need a little more. If it it turns out I donít, which hasnít happened yet, Iím sure Iíll think of something. Supersize me baby!

#448033 GRIDô ... your opinions?

Posted by DirtyHarry50 on 25 January 2018 - 06:07 PM in Mac Racing & Sports

Many gamers want no part of multiplayer and the cars in the game are no less good than they were then. For someone caring about your particular concerns I can understand your comment but not as a blanket statement considering that itís still an excellent game overall. Itís also been recently released on iOS and is now arguably the best racing game of its kind on the platform. Thatís pretty good Iíd say for a game you just dismissed as irrelevant in a necro of a thread over four years old.

Are you bored today? lol