G_Player's Content

There have been 68 items by G_Player (Search limited from 23-July 17)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#448574 Looking for an mmorpg

Posted by G_Player on 26 March 2018 - 11:58 PM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

Sorry for not getting back quickly. Had a sudden death in the family.

Lots of phone calls, lots of unanswered questions. Cause of death is unknown and awaiting an autopsy report.

Games have taken a back seat.

I will be back after the funeral plus a few days to re-group.

Lennbain, my friends

#448517 Brothers in Arms: Double Time from Feral

Posted by G_Player on 17 March 2018 - 02:10 PM in Mac Action & Shooters

AK-47 is a cross between a woodpecker and a reciprocating saw.  ; )

#448515 Looking for an mmorpg

Posted by G_Player on 17 March 2018 - 01:49 PM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

Heya Nick68k,

Mac Mini - 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400, VRAM: 256 MB

Mac OS 10.8.5

I've played a few of the earliest Tomb Raiders and Diablo II. I feel so alone playing single player games. I prefer to play with others in an mmo setting.

I did talk to someone who was playing Baldur's Gate on a Mac, and I was really interested in giving it a try.

The drawbacks were the server population is capped at an extremely low number, the max level for all characters was (I believe) around 20-25, and there were several additional expansions that were required to be purchased and overly-complex installations just to get it running.

There were a number of Mac users trying to install the expansions and running into problems. An unsettling number of requests for help were just being left unanswered and ignored.

I often read players' complaints about low numbers of new players, but see very little being done, as a group, proactively to actually help folk get in the game. It's usually left up to one or two players to do anything. And they tend to burn-out after a while.

It boiled down to an expense to purchase the game and required expansions, installation instructions which hadn't been updated in years, a lot of work to get it running, population and level caps,  low number of active players, and no visible interest to DO anything to change the current status quo.

Baldur's Gate is on the same path as Clan Lord. It's just a matter of time.

#448502 Looking for an mmorpg

Posted by G_Player on 16 March 2018 - 06:09 PM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

Yep. Dial-up is an issue.

The government subsidized high speed access expansion and providers made millions off the low-hanging fruit of densely populated areas. But as those areas became "claimed" and the areas left were rural (with less money to make), and as the government cash hand outs dried up, well… why not just stay in urban areas and rake in the money?

Meanwhile, there are still millions of Americans who remain on dial-up because its too cost prohibitive for access via satellite dishes.

But then, monthly costs for access should have gone down in urban areas. I'll bet greed has only made it more expensive, and going up.

I've been bugging a local company for years about expanding their coverage. Their solution was simply to close the only office that had in the city.

#448497 Looking for an mmorpg

Posted by G_Player on 16 March 2018 - 01:39 AM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

*crickets chirping*

#448488 Looking for an mmorpg

Posted by G_Player on 15 March 2018 - 02:55 AM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

Any suggestions on an mmorpg that I can play on my 2009 Mac Mini that'll run half-way decently on a dial-up modem?
I prefer a fantasy setting, space is kinda cold and devoid of trees.

I have tried Clan Lord, Arindal, and Runescape.

Someone please point me in the right direction.

thank you

#448351 Vulkan Officially Released - No Mac Support

Posted by G_Player on 28 February 2018 - 02:22 AM in IMG News Discussion

So, gentlemen, given that Metal2 has been out for a bit and now there are Metal "backends", since I know next to nothing about programming, how would you rate the current state of (and future) of Mac gaming?

Is there more hope now?

#448337 Vulkan Officially Released - No Mac Support

Posted by G_Player on 26 February 2018 - 06:08 PM in IMG News Discussion

This is from Ars technica:

Vulkan coming to macOS and iOS, no thanks to Apple.

https://arstechnica....hanks-to-apple/

#448311 The Last Jedi [SPOILERS GALORE]

Posted by G_Player on 22 February 2018 - 09:32 PM in Off-Topic

Star Wars in 5 sentences...

Pew… pew.. pew...
Chhhuuuurrr… ssshhhhh… chhhhhuuurrr… sssshhhhh...
Neevvvvaaaa !
Pew… pew… pew...
Aaaaaahhhhh!   Yay!

roll end credits

#448310 IMG Forum tip jar?

Posted by G_Player on 22 February 2018 - 09:18 PM in IMG Website Network Feedback

Here's my tip:

Never play Leap-frog with a unicorn!

:rotfl:

#447985 What If Google Had Not Deleted The Fake Steve Ballmer Blog?

Posted by G_Player on 20 January 2018 - 11:22 PM in Off-Topic

..if my reputation is completely ruined by tomorrow afternoon, we'll all know who to blame!  ;)

#447982 What If Google Had Not Deleted The Fake Steve Ballmer Blog?

Posted by G_Player on 20 January 2018 - 05:20 PM in Off-Topic

@ tBC

Possible clue? Not sure that it'll help.

When I click the More Reply Options button, this entire page re-loads with this reply box at the top of the page (instead of it being at its usual place at the bottom).
Nowhere is the Attach This File button to be found.

You may log-in as me ;)

thank you and good hunting!

#447978 What If Google Had Not Deleted The Fake Steve Ballmer Blog?

Posted by G_Player on 20 January 2018 - 01:20 PM in Off-Topic

Javascript is enabled.

clicking the More Reply Options first…
nope…
Attach Files is still AWOL. It does not appear anywhere.

There's a mystery to be solved here.  :detective:

#447975 Best Arcade and Board Games for mac

Posted by G_Player on 20 January 2018 - 11:43 AM in Mac Puzzle, Board, Arcade & Cards

Heya C-H

Yup, old versions of everything (Safari 6, Mac OS 10.8.5), Late 2009 Mac Mini.
I can try another browser. Thanks for the info!  : D

#447969 Best Arcade and Board Games for mac

Posted by G_Player on 20 January 2018 - 01:48 AM in Mac Puzzle, Board, Arcade & Cards

Safari can't open the page "https:www.macgamerhq.com" because Safari can't establish a secure connection to the server "www.macgamerhq.com".

:wall:

#447968 What If Google Had Not Deleted The Fake Steve Ballmer Blog?

Posted by G_Player on 20 January 2018 - 01:38 AM in Off-Topic

…seems the "Attach Files" is AWOL sos I can't upload a jpeg.  :cool:

I second the abomination I mean… nomination of DH!  :)

#447937 Casual Play as Therapy

Posted by G_Player on 16 January 2018 - 03:17 AM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

Here's an encounter to illustrate.

There was a particularly lovely spot that I often visited alone, filled with vert plants, tall trees, diverse flowering plants, butterflies of wondrous colors, and a small stream wound its way gently through.

On this occasion I happened to be dressed all in white and holding a staff. There was a teleport stone nearby which was mainly used as a way point to other locations, not necessarily to where I was. But more often than not, the stone lay silent and unused.

After a time a young man appeared, took a few steps from the stone, looked about, and then quickly returned to the stone and popped away. This he repeated many times over the next five minutes or so. Sometimes wandering out a bit further but always when he returned he'd stop to stare at me, then quickly pop away again.

Curious, (as elves tend to be) I watched his comings and goings which didn't seem to have purpose. When next he appeared and stood looking at me, I addressed him.

(keep in mind that I, as an elf, try my best to always speak in a sort of middle english, for immersion's sake. Sometimes I use words fallen out of common usage long go. It lends an air of ancient mystery of days long past, a connection to something very old, and I always remained in-character)

"Greetings, M'lord. Thou seemeth unsure of the path before thee. Doth thou seek a thing which is found not?"

He stood silently, struck to the spot where he was standing.

"Come," I said, "take pause here next to me. No harm shall I do upon thee."

He came over and we both sat next to the stream.

We spoke about the teleporting stone and I explained how to best use it. But he also had other questions about game mechanics and troubles with a few quests.

After about 20 minutes or so he was encouraged to try again, but he was so enchanted in the kindly way I responded to his needs he wanted to know if I was part of the environment (an actual part of the game) or a GM.

"I know not what a GM is, m'lord. I hath ne'er beheld such. Yet glad am I to lend thee aid and good counsel. Freely seek me if thou hath need again.", I replied.

As he left I could see that he was completely enthralled by the magical encounter and the elf in all white who gave him help.

And what made it all happen was this teeny silvan environment created by a group of very talented artists.

Imagine what could be done with a whole valley.

#447936 Casual Play as Therapy

Posted by G_Player on 16 January 2018 - 01:42 AM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

Yes Matt,

Deep somewhere in my memory, I vaguely recall a single-player game called Zen Garden if I'm not mistaken. The object was to clean up/build an existing area, rake the gravel, and then sit and enjoy the view. But its been so many years ago.

My observations has been in mmorpg worlds created by game developers. The emphasis has always been on high stake battles, adrenaline-pumping action, frenetic fire fights, death and destruction, and the race to be the biggest and baddest dealer of such carnage. Only when reaching end game do many people stop and ask, "Is that it? Is that all there is?"

And many of them miss what is really important; each other.

A few games promoted social interaction and teamwork to build loyal communities. Pubs, taverns, and guilds served as places to meet up and enjoy each others' company.

But real life events that impact players' lives cannot be anticipated nor programmed for. That is way beyond the original scope of providing fun and excitement. But we all know all too often life isn't fun. People do enter a game world with real, and sometimes serious, hurts. Some need a shoulder, some near an ear, others just need a place to go where they can find peace and quiet, some need to cry.

A pub, tavern, or guildhall is never the place to seek out.

Secret/hidden places can be artistically created to be as beautiful as a team of designers and artists can unleash their full talents upon. The purpose of these places is nothing more than to BE a place of refreshment and peace. Even the hardiest fighters and heroes occasionally need alone time. Or a few elves gather to share a grief and support each other. Or the human at the base of a waterfall whose only care is to drown a few worms and soak in the calm.

These places need do nothing at all, except simply exist for the pleasure and enjoyment of others, and a safe place for quiet conversations or contemplation.

There is a major advantage to the developers making these places.

By quietly visiting, disguised as either a gentle animal or kindly NPC, much can be gleaned about how characters feel about the world, and by simply listening the players themselves can inspire many many new ideas.

#447933 Casual Play as Therapy

Posted by G_Player on 15 January 2018 - 03:27 PM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

We know that the human species are complex creatures, because we are one. Game developers have yet to embrace this.

Developers build their worlds to appeal to the "thrill seeking" side of our nature and completely ignore how reality, past and present, effects us in so many ways. After all, it's just a game, right?

No it isn't. Many developers tout how theirs as a "living breathing world". I'd even bet they'd be pretty offended if you called their years of hard work, "a game".

I cannot tell you how many times I have sat and listened to people who were struggling with real problems (some of them very scary). And the main reason they were there playing was they needed to escape from reality, if even for only a few hours.

It was extremely difficult to sit and listen and to provide some small bit of comfort and empathy in dark hours of grief, or give as wise a counseling as I could to souls in desperate need, while other players ran around us, or stopped and listened-in, or actually interrupted us with horribly rude comments.

I posted in the forums and begged the developers to design beautiful places scattered around the world so that people that were hurting emotionally would have a place to go to contemplate or relax or just "be".

"What's the first thing you want to do when you get home after a long and difficult day?" The answer is, of course, relax and unwind, decompress!

Picture in your mind the most beautiful place you have ever been. The smell of the forest. The sunshine on your skin. A gentle breeze upon your face. The joyous sound of songbirds. Crickets and insects buzzing about. The colours of the sky at sunset. The stars coming out and wheeling overhead. Recall how you felt being there, how you were re-energized, how it seemed to fill every fiber of your being with a sense of awe, completeness, healing, and love.

My pleas were quickly buried by new suggestions.

Can the experience be reproduced in a game world?

No, not completely.

But with today's advanced graphics cards and APIs, they can come pretty damn close. And there's no reason not to, provided game developers realize this and build into their world places that address the more complex needs in us all.

#447927 Casual Play as Therapy

Posted by G_Player on 15 January 2018 - 12:37 PM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

is there a version of Skyrim for Mac? or do you have to use Bootcamp or Wine?

#447926 Tag line didn't update

Posted by G_Player on 15 January 2018 - 12:29 PM in IMG Website Network Feedback

*gives thumbs-up*

"Roger Huston. Everything looks good here. in the 5 by 5. O.K. to go!"

(rewatching 'Contact' with Jodie Foster)

#447911 Tag line didn't update

Posted by G_Player on 14 January 2018 - 04:34 PM in IMG Website Network Feedback

Yes… Signature… I've heard that one too. I'll give that a try.  Thank you.  :)

Thank you, Camper-Hunter!  :D

#447910 Casual Play as Therapy

Posted by G_Player on 14 January 2018 - 04:17 PM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

One of the recurring themes I read about on these forums is about casual play in an mmorpg.

I agree.

Sure, we want action, adventure, the excitement of discovery, a sense of challenge, a feeling of accomplishment. But more importantly, we want… no need… a game to fire-up to escape the madness of our world, a place where we can relax and just go fishing, or wander around with no particular destination in mind (not all who wander are lost), just sit and chat with friends, or be alone with naught but our thoughts.

We need an mmorpg that provides not only the best play experience, but one that also equally addresses our emotional needs. We need places that are artistically as beautiful as possible, with the sound of a gentle wind and birdsong, and safe from threat. Places we can go to share with friends, or relax alone.

Many of us are getting a bit long in the tooth and want to slow down and actually enjoy the view, or stop and smell the flowers, or (in my case) hug a few trees.

Life can be brutal and short. Some of us have seen that, some of us experienced that, we all could use healing because of it.

An mmorpg that acknowledges and makes a sensitive effort to gently address this can go a long way to healing the invisible hurts of this sometimes cruel reality.

#447907 Tag line didn't update

Posted by G_Player on 14 January 2018 - 03:34 PM in IMG Website Network Feedback

The line that is added at the bottom of every post. The "My computer often beats me…"

The "Blurb It" line, I think it's called. I've never encountered "blurb it" before, except for here. But I have often heard the feature referred to as a tag line.

I apologize for the confusion.

#447904 Tag line didn't update

Posted by G_Player on 14 January 2018 - 01:05 PM in IMG Website Network Feedback

I changed my forum tag line and clicked the Update button. My Profile shows the change, but it still uses the old tag line even when creating a new thread. :cool: