G_Player's Content

There have been 40 items by G_Player (Search limited from 19-October 16)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#446796 Read this if you are new to the forums!

Posted by G_Player on 10 October 2017 - 10:47 PM in IMG Website Network Feedback

How do I include a pict in mah post?

Can I upload directly from my Mac, or must I upload the image to a photo sharing site and insert the URL?

thanks!  :)

#446794 Is there really a such thing as a Mac game?

Posted by G_Player on 10 October 2017 - 09:22 PM in General

While doing research on Monkey Boy, I came across an honest to goodness video made by Microsoft where Ballmer is in costume as Dr. Evil and Bill (gag) Gates is Austin Powers.

I think it's on Business Insider's web site.

I couldn't bring myself to watch it, and slowly backed away.

#446734 Is there really a such thing as a Mac game?

Posted by G_Player on 05 October 2017 - 06:00 PM in General

Yup.

Just a troll.

#446732 Is there really a such thing as a Mac game?

Posted by G_Player on 05 October 2017 - 05:26 PM in General

Hey Battle Cat,

Can you change his avatar to Dr. Evil ?  :w00t:

That'd be awesome!

#446731 Is there really a such thing as a Mac game?

Posted by G_Player on 05 October 2017 - 05:14 PM in General

"OP" means Original Poster, that'd be you.

But Steve "Monkey Boy" Ballmer would know this.

Seriously, you're just a teenage troll because…

A. You do not know correct grammatical language:
  You don't write, "Is there really a such thing as a Mac game?"
  You should have written, "Is there really such a thing as a Mac game?"

B. The fact that you made the same grammatical error, twice.

C. You really don't have the leisure time to be posting on a Macintosh specific site in the forums if you are teaching courses AND are an owner of an NBA team, all the while raising three children.

D.  Monkey Boy's "Location" is not Redmond, he lives in Hunts Point, Washington.

E.  As promised, you still haven't killed Google.

F. Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing (v32) works just as well on a PC as on a Mac.

BTW, love the new avatar. Now if you'd just hold your little pinkie up to the corner of your mouth, you'd be a dead-ringer for Dr. Evil!

Before you impersonate someone else, at least do your research.

Sheeeesh!

#446712 Apple CPUs to Replace Intel in Macs?

Posted by G_Player on 03 October 2017 - 11:37 PM in Mac Hardware

Hummmm… interesting observations, m'lords.

I have not kept abreast of CPU architecture and performance since Apple switched over to Intel and Motorola sold off their chip division.

Thank you for the update.  : )

#446711 Is there really a such thing as a Mac game?

Posted by G_Player on 03 October 2017 - 11:21 PM in General

Is the OP the real Steve "Monkey Boy" Ballmer?!? In my mind I can still visualize the QuickTime movie of good ol' Steve coming out on stage, backed by some good ol' rock-n-roll, fist pumping into the air and screaming, "Give it up for me!" You made ONE trip around the stage, screaming and yelling, and upon reaching the podium, needed 5 minutes of heavy breathing and sweating before you could speak.

Aaaah, but if you had been successful at "knifing the baby" (killing off QuickTime), I never would have had such a good laugh. Waitaminute… didn't you guys lose a lawsuit from Apple after you shamelessly ripped-off code (copy/pasted) from QuickTime to create your Windows Media Player?

And your software engineers secretly call Apple, "R&D South".

The truth hurts.

Anywho, yes games created for Mac would be nice. But if I want to see what Windows will be doing five years from now, I'll buy a Mac today.

#446678 Apple CPUs to Replace Intel in Macs?

Posted by G_Player on 01 October 2017 - 02:58 PM in Mac Hardware

I owned a PPC Mac in the past, and I remember a short video produced by Apple explaining the Intel X86 "pipeline tax" (I think that's what it was called). I also remember when the RISC-based Macs first came out, these machines were beating the pants off of top of the line PCs in rendering tasks, and there was much wailing and nashing of teeth among the PC-users.

But Intel has some of the brightest scientists and a R&D budget that cannot be matched in the industry. The initial success of the PowerPC was short lived. And we all know how that story ended.

So, I would guess that a multi-core RISC CPU running at the same speed as an Intel CPU would still beat its' pants off in any given task?

Your thoughts please.

#446619 Local documents on your computer

Posted by G_Player on 26 September 2017 - 12:06 AM in Mac OS Related

Just like the nightmare Frost made a link to (and I read), apparently unlocking that casche file didn't do the trick. The nightmare cookie

Local documents on your computer

is baaaack!  *cue more scary music*

But on the other hand, reading that thread was great! ^_^

@ tBC
gibber?… gibber?!?  I haven't seen that word used in centuries… years!
And I've, at least two more weeks of siding (all by myself), to do. So I'll prolly gibber some more on these forums.

#446608 Local documents on your computer

Posted by G_Player on 24 September 2017 - 10:03 PM in Mac OS Related

Heya Janichsan,

Using the "Go to Folder" worked and I found the directory. I now remember, it's been several years ago,  there was a casche file in there that was many megabytes in size. So I basically deleted eveything in the file (thinking its just a darn casche file) and locked it. A dumb move if Apple was actually using stuff in there to make Safari work.

The file is now unlocked. So I'll keep an eye on things to see if that cookie returns.

Thank you very much for your help!

PS
Sorry for using the wrong name, been up and down on 20 foot scaffolding all day hauling and nailing up siding. Really tired.

#446602 Local documents on your computer

Posted by G_Player on 23 September 2017 - 09:14 PM in Mac OS Related

Thank you all for responding.

@Matt Diamond

Thanks! Noteworthy information if I can get a friend to download another browser and burn it to a CD for me.

@DirtyHarry50

I cannot use iCloud on dial-up and have no online apps. In fact, my computer cannot connect to any Google server (have them blocked in my edited "Hosts" file). The only browser add-on I have is a one called "AdBlock" which hasn't been updated in years. I checked Apple's support pages, no joy. My god, it takes an hour to load a single page.

@Jugger Bugger

Huh… weird… I don't have a directory "com.apple.Safari".

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/WebKit

Not leastways I can find.

I also note that once this cookie appears, no site will load thereafter, Safari reports that it cannot connect.

**bangs head on table**

Welp, at least I have a work-around even though its a pain in the @ss.

thanks guys!!  : D

#446592 Old Macs Need New Home

Posted by G_Player on 21 September 2017 - 10:51 PM in Mac Hardware

Ah… that was a kind thing to do. I hope the children get enjoyment out of them. We can always use a little more happiness in this world.

+ 50 Good Karma to you!  ; )

#446590 Old Macs Need New Home

Posted by G_Player on 21 September 2017 - 10:38 PM in Mac Hardware

Any chance you can take a look at the PowerBook 1400CS to see if it still works?
I've an old copy of MacDraw II that only works with MacOS 9.

cheers!

#446589 Local documents on your computer

Posted by G_Player on 21 September 2017 - 10:23 PM in Mac OS Related

Lots of hybrid Mac-PC users on these forums. Some here have alot more software engineering experience then they let on. So I thought it a good idea to bounce this one off the pros.

I've already searched this phrase on StartPage which turned up next to nothing, but it revolves around a cookie often appearing in Safari named...

Local documents on your computer

This happens more often of late. Here's what happens.

I go to a web page (sometimes visited only minutes ago). Safari reports that it cannot connect because "a secure connection can not be made."

I open Safari Preferences, click Privacy tab, and under Cookies and other website data, it reports how many cookies have been set. And there it is… an extra cookie named, "Local documents on your computer".

I delete this cookie and try to reload the web page. Safari (again) reports it cannot establish a secure connection, and the mystery cookie has returned.

I have found that usually I can get a web site to load if I delete all cookies, empty the casche, quit and re-start Safari.

Just what the heck is "Local documents on your computer", and where is it stored? It isn't in Safari's cookie folder.

Someone please enlighten me on this topic.

#446588 Animated loading screens and stutter

Posted by G_Player on 21 September 2017 - 09:47 PM in General

As I understand it, an SSD disk will always beat out a disk drive in seek time (no moving parts). You'll prolly get a little better performance if you copy the game to the SSD.

Looking at your system specs… good gawd man! A muscle car of a computer!! Congrats!

#446409 Microtransactions in Shadow of War

Posted by G_Player on 25 August 2017 - 11:42 PM in Windows Gaming

…just found this thread after creating a New Topic about it.

You guys are already light years ahead of me.

Good info in this thread!

#446408 "Unknown Realm" 8-bit retro RPG in development

Posted by G_Player on 25 August 2017 - 11:11 PM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

*laughs*  *turns red*

I goofed… lol.

Thanks for pointing it out nicely  : D

#446407 Loot Chests now in Middle Earth

Posted by G_Player on 25 August 2017 - 11:03 PM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

Recently, I wanted to check out Breitbart News. I bookmarked the site and visit on occasion. I was surprised to see an article about gaming and Middle Earth especially.

--------------------

" ‘Shadow of War’ Is The Latest Example of an Industry Seeking to Profit from Young Gamblers"

"When Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment first announced the presence of loot chests in the upcoming Shadow of War, I was flabbergasted. It was a reaction shared by the vast majority of the gaming community at large."

--------------------

It's a short article and a thoughtful read. Here's the link if you'd like to see it for yourself:

http://www.breitbart...young-gamblers/

Lennbain!

#446188 Best option for ESO purchase

Posted by G_Player on 02 August 2017 - 10:33 PM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

MMOs are the only games I enjoyed playing. But my options for which games were severely limited by 1) using a Mac, 2) still on dial-up modem.

I quit Runescape (which ran reasonably well on dial-up) about 2 years ago because it devolved into a children's game and was bought by a Chinese mining company last year (can you believe it?!?!) Now what would a mining company know about online computer games? It just reeked of the Chinese government.

Games today require hi speed connections, so now I'm alone in the wilderness.

I bugged a local company for several years about putting a tower out here in the country, but that was a 'no-go' due to low rural population.

Most of the time I've no idea what you guys are talking about with respect to specific games. But I seach other game sites, read up on what looks interesting. It's just that I'll never get to play any of them.

I'd love to walk the paths of Middle Earth and see the sights.

*sigh*

#446120 Best option for ESO purchase

Posted by G_Player on 25 July 2017 - 11:00 PM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

Hey DH!

Your post is from April and no one has replied!

I'd like to know if you did buy ESO. If so, what are your impressions of the game?

cheers!

#446119 "Unknown Realm" 8-bit retro RPG in development

Posted by G_Player on 25 July 2017 - 10:53 PM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

Just a few questions.

How safe is it to go to a web site with the name "liar" in it, isn't that just asking for trouble?

Would you feel comfortable typing in your Admin password if the game asks for it during installation?

#445980 Final Fantasy XIV was released for Mac?

Posted by G_Player on 07 July 2017 - 11:54 PM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

Why is FINAL fantasy if it's up to number 14?!?! Final is… you know… FINAL!
​This is THE final fantasy!…  Da end.  **turns off the lights on the way out**

#445085 GOG, NWN2, and a BIG bottle of Wine

Posted by G_Player on 29 March 2017 - 07:38 PM in General

Was at WineHq last night looking at… wine.

I was amazed by the number of new Windoze games that have been successfully ported to the Mac.

If I purchase Neverwinter Nights 2 from GOG, I'd have to D/L Wine and create a wrapper for the game. Nowhere could I find a walk-through of the process. And when I clicked on the MacOS download link to see how big this application is and get an idea of how long this is going to take, I see…

Installer for "Wine Development" version 2.4, 109M

Installer for "Wine Staging" version 2.4, 117M

Great… which one do I download?, or do I need both?

Then there were discussions in the bugs section about files named nkdglke and bisxdojdd, and lots of long UNIX command line spaghetti. My eyes glazed over.

What little forum discussions I did find on the net' on converting NWN2 often differed on how to do it, baffling bugs, and some persistent fatal crashes that left some out of money they spent for the game.

I did find some good news. I don't know if you guys know this already.

I had read complaints that the toolsets were never ported to the Mac. Apparently, Wine converts these tools as well!

from WineHq's web site:

"Neverwinter Nights 2 Toolset - Official toolset for NWN2 from BioWare."

"Neverwinter Nights Aurora Toolset - This is the official Neverwinter Nights module editor supplied by Bioware with the Windows version of Neverwinter Nights. It allows you to create custom items, creatures etc, as well as designing maps and storylines."

It seems like a lot of time and hair-pulling.

Has anybody here gone through this? How long did it take? How successful were you? Are you happy with the results?

And (perhaps the most telling of your experience) would you do it again?

#445052 MMORPGs feel like Pinball machines

Posted by G_Player on 28 March 2017 - 02:22 AM in General

Thank you, Janichsan.

Three questions:

1. Are we talking about NWN or NWN2?

2. Wineskin or CrossOver?

3. I am still on a dial-up modem (no high-speed internet access where I live) but I did play RuneScape for a number of years and it ran well enough despite the "Broadband" requirement. I assumed this was due to most of the heavy lifting being done server-side and the data flow between server and client was light, which made the game playable even on dial-up. If the same is true conerning NWN then it too can be playable (although at a reduced resolution) even on dial-up. Can you enlighten me?

Lennbain!  : )

#445039 MMORPGs feel like Pinball machines

Posted by G_Player on 27 March 2017 - 05:59 PM in General

Just a bit more info so you know where I'm coming from.

"I remember long in-character discussions with hundreds of others about threats facing our world…"

This consisted of discussing and analysising the threat, planning some kind of fortifications where there were none, shoring up weak areas, augmenting NPC guards, assigning patrols, establishing intelligence gathering, etc. All the things we needed to do to protect ourselves in response to the growing darkness.

That's when someone present at the meeting casually said, "You know, unless you can get the ear of one of the developers (an impossibility), none of this is even remotely possible and you're just wasting your time."

After a stunned silence another piped in, "He's right. They aren't going to devote one minute to developing any of this. What we're doing is useless. What will be is what will be."

We sat for a while as our real selves floated out of our characters and reality sank in.

Everyone kind of shuffled off.

We never had a meeting again and I surrendered to the fact that to truely be "in-character", in any world, was a futile effort.